WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    2413 arrows are 24 thousands diameter, and 13 thousands thick...too weak..go to 2219 arrows for aluminum. I have never had carbon arrows fail. Carbon is by far superior than aluminum. I used to own a archery shop. the last 2 numbers in the size of the arrow. I.E. "13" is the thickness of the aluminum shaft. Also,,anything with a 17 thousands thickness should work as well. I.E. 2117, for example. Also,,small dia. of arrow is much much stronger. 2413 is a very weak shaft for its size. I shot dozens of them in Nat. Archery Tourneys wasting them as they flattened into each other in striking each other in the bullseye.
    Last edited by Acer; 07-19-2014 at 11:44.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    2413 arrows are 24 thousands diameter, and 13 thousands thick...too weak..go to 2219 arrows for aluminum. I have never had carbon arrows fail. Carbon is by far superior than aluminum. I used to own a archery shop. the last 2 numbers in the size of the arrow. I.E. "13" is the thickness of the aluminum shaft. Also,,anything with a 17 thousands thickness should work as well. I.E. 2117, for example.
    But how does the carbon fiber compare to aluminum when used as toggles, not as arrows? My understanding is that because of the way carbon fiber tubes are made all of their strength is in lengthwise compression, but they are easily crushed or broken when force is applied from other angles. That's the big downside of carbon fiber trekking poles, if one sticks between rocks and you bend it it's more likely to snap than an aluminum pole. Or if you step on one it's more likely to crush than an aluminum pole.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Don't try breaking a carbon arrow with your hands. I have done this and it ends up splitting into your hands. Carbon fiber arrows are measured the same as aluminum arrows. Dia vs. thickness. There are different sizes of carbon arrows,,and I am sure,,there are different thicknesses of cabon shafts used for hiking poles too. Less cabon used means lighter in weight as well as to the manufacturers,,less expense in making. If using a carbon arrow for toggles,,when it comes to arrows,,use the thickest you can find and cut with a tube cutter like a copper water cutter. Using a hack saw spliters the ends of the cuts and weakens the carbon arrow shaft to where it would splinter all the way up the shaft eventually due to the force of the weight of the hang I would think. In the hunting world, carbon arrow shafts are superior, due to the fact,,they won't bend and the shaft will remain straight. In the archery tourney world,,they also won't flatten on the sides when slamming into each other if your shooting them all into a small bulleye on the sides either. They are way more expensive than aluminum shafts, and superior in strength as well as lighter in weight and there fore as far as speed,,shoot flatter and faster than aluminum and will deleiver more kenetic energy in foot pounds of kill power also. For using as toggles,,they are the same as aluminum. Get a medium diameter size of carbon arrow with as much thickness to it. Most retail sellers of carbon arrows can define which carbon arrow is going to be the thickest and strongest as well as weigh alittle more than the thin ones. Hope this helps a bit in understanding carbon arrows. As far as carbon hiking poles,,,I would think we need to look for the strongest and if you aren't able to decide which is stronger,,I am thinking the heaviest carbon hiking pole is going to be the strongest due to its weight thus the manufacturer is using a lot more carbon in its manufacturering and might be alittle thicker. (just a guess as I use aluminum hiking poles).

If you decide to use carbon for toggles, I might suggest, the best, heaviest arrow is crossbow arrows or bolts. As they are short arrows and stiff, and the heaviest, thickest arrow made due to the crossbow creating tons of pressure to a stiff arrow going off. These work great and is what I use sometimes and never had a problem with them whatsoever as toggles.
    Last edited by Acer; 07-19-2014 at 17:12.

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    ok...looked thru my arrow selection tonight....I have 2219 and 2117.....so go with the 2219?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The arrow shaft toggles I have used in the past held up. They were 2216's I believe. I did only use them a few times though.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Nuttin Special
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use something like this. We had some left after VBS one year; they'd been sitting around collecting dust because churches never throw anything away. For once, i was glad of that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-New-Rainbo...item1e6da917bb

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    These are available at many convenience stores. Prices can range from 50 cents to 1.49. Make great lightweight sturdy toggles. Cut into 3 inch pieces and drill a hole in one end for a leash and attach to the tree strap. Also come in a variety of bright colors to prevent loss.

make sure you're hanging on the knot, not the toggle.

Hammock
    eno double/ GT double/ tablecloth
    Tarp
    GG 13x13
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    2413 arrows are 24 thousands diameter, and 13 thousands thick...too weak..go to 2219 arrows for aluminum.
    I agree-- but the convention is the first number is 64'ths of an inch- 2413 is 24/64" (or 3/8") with a .013 wall thickness- they make up for the thin wall by having a larger diameter- good for shooting stiffness, not so good as a marlin spike - the advice to seek the largest second number is very good IMHO

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I use 2018's but I wouldn't hesitate to use something thinner.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast