DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Alright, first I want to thank everyone that offered advice and steered me towards the older machines. Im pretty happy with my purchases.

First up is the White machine.The cabinet is in good condition as is the machine. It had quite a few feet, lots of bobbins, the manual and even the original sales receipt from 1972. Cost then was $199 for the machine. I paid $40.

Next up was a lucky find. I decided to cruise CL one more time before heading to pick up the white. I found this machine just 30 minutes south of where I picked up the white. Nicest little old Polish lady that bought the machine new and its in good condition minus a couple small aesthetic issues. Ill get them taken care of. Not as many accessories or manual, she said it was in a rental house of hers and the tenants misplaced most of the extras. I did not find it a big deal because the machine and table are in pretty good condition. She was asking $95. I offered $60 and we settled on $75.
    Sweet.... Good score!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    My advice is don't start spraying solvent all over the guts. It's not needed. Varnished oil doesn't cause any problem on the middle of shafts, etc.

I have never had to remove wiring to free up and lube a machine.

You only need to use DROPS of solvent (kerosene, alcohol, kroil) where there is metal to metal contact (bushings, pivot points, gears, etc). I use the same flip top bottles we use to carry alcohol for camping stoves for kerosene and alcohol.

If you just have to pretty up the shafts, use a strip of cloth with solvent and use a shoe shine motion to quickly remove the varnished oil.

On the outside, use rags or cotton balls wetted with mild solvent and clean small areas at a time.

You are working on sewing machines....loose the engine cleaner/power washer mindset.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    My advice is don't start spraying solvent all over the guts. It's not needed. Varnished oil doesn't cause any problem on the middle of shafts, etc.

You only need to use DROPS of solvent (kerosene, alcohol, kroil) where there is metal to metal contact (bushings, pivot points, gears, etc). I use the same flip top bottles we use to carry alcohol for camping stoves for kerosene and alcohol.

If you just have to pretty up the shafts, use a strip of cloth with solvent and use a shoe shine motion to quickly remove the varnished oil.

On the outside, use rags or cotton balls wetted with mild solvent and clean small areas at a time.

You are working on sewing machines....loose the engine cleaner/power washer mindset.
    Great advice ^ I'll be watching for your intro post the vintage Necchi Group.

After you post an intro, you can request to join the sewing circle and have access to more info like service manuals and such.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Great advice ^ I'll be watching for your intro post the vintage Necchi Group.

After you post an intro, you can request to join the sewing circle and have access to more info like service manuals and such.
    I joined up a couple of years ago....now it's opie's turn.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images

Yeah....I hear ya.

What I did was put 99% Isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and sprayed all the guts liberally. I used the pressure from the spray bottle to blast off all the old semi-dried grease from the nylon gears. Worked pretty well and I turned the hand crank and sprayed again. It worked as I could see the discolored alcohol coming out on the towel. Then I applied lithium grease to the nylon parts and reoiled the machine. It feels much better.

That was the white machine. Next is the Necchi.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I joined up a couple of years ago....now it's opie's turn.
    I joined this morning. Havent done an intro post though.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    As I recall, lithium grease and other general/automotive greases are not the best for plastic sewing machine gears.

Tri-Flow is frequently recommended. As with all sewing machine lubes...use sparingly.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    It looked like thats what was on it prior. It was all dried and caked like lithium grease tends to do with age.

So I should have just oiled it instead? I do have sewing machine oil.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    All kinds of things get put on sewing machines. My niece used Pam cooking spray for a while. Took my brother in law forever to get that machine working again.

I think the thought was that no one knows what the long term effect of automotive greases on the old plastics might be. I'd just clean it up and re-grease with the tri flow or singer sewing machine grease months from now when it needs greased again.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Also, Lithium grease is basically just soap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast