Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images

Scared of the rain

Hey all, I'm still a newbie and feel like I will be for a long time!!! I have an Eno dn setup with slapstraps and the dryfly. Took my first real overnighter with my new 0 degree hg incubator two weeks ago and was fortunate to have great weather (didn't even use the fly). However, I am petrified of getting caught in a thunderstorm, when it rains in the Tetons it doesn't rain straight down and I don't feel I have the coverage I need to keep me and my down dry. I am fairly new to backpacking and very new to hanging, so if anyone has any suggestions on staying dry or lightweight tarps that offer more protection, please send them my way. I don't want to go back to ground (especially after all the dough I've put into hammocking) but need to feel a little more protected from the elements before I commit to more than just overnighters.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    We have sideways rain dumps here. Pitch your tarp lower and closer to your hammock when you anticipate rain and try to pitch in a protected area. I don't know if you can do this with a dryfly, but I can use my rain poncho as a door in my Tadpole for more protection from blowing rain. Or, go with a regular rectangular tarp with doors. I also have an underquilt protector from 2QZQ which protects my UQ from rain splash and also adds a few degrees of warmth for little money or weight.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Grannypat's advice is golden. At 10' 6" x 5' 2" the dryfly doesn't really keep you too dry. There are many wider tarps out there for roughly the same price as the dryfly.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewmon71 View Post
    Hey all, I'm still a newbie and feel like I will be for a long time!!! I have an Eno dn setup with slapstraps and the dryfly.
    IMO the Dryfly is just what it says. It looks cool but all it is good for is dry shade. It does that reasonably well. IMO you need a better tarp.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    After looking at the Dryfly I can see your concern with blowing rain.
    If it were me, I would get the WB Superfly because of the doors and better coverage. The WB SF is lighter and with the doors you can close yourself in to stay dry in a blowing rain.
    The other alternative is try to find an inexpensive CatCut or Hex Tarp (they show up in the For Sale thread now and then) and have 2QZQ either sew on doors or make a set of Grizz Beaks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've always thought the ENO Dry Fly was more artistic than functional. The Warbonnet Superfly is a great four-season tarp with doors that will keep you dry.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    You may contact Paul at arrowhead-equipment.com I believe he is out of Idaho. He may be even close enough to visit (bonus). Hope you find what you need. Wish I lived in the Tetons.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    My son has the ENO Dry Fly, and he says he really likes it. He pitches it really low and tight when the weather calls for rain, and he says it keeps him dry.

I have the ENO Pro Fly, and I think it is more practical. I've used it in some toad stranglers, and it has kept me dry. However, I recently purchased a WB Superfly - lots more coverage and doors included.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    "grannypat's" advice is very good I would have said something similar but not as well put as he said it. Your dryfly has less wind flapping noise when you don't need the "doors" of a WB Superfly. But just add on doors or poncho when you do. Pros and cons both ways and there really is not a single "best way", I have done it many ways.
    But like that "grannypat" said first thing to do if it looks like it may rain is move tie out stakes on windward end of tarp to pinch it shut regardless of tarp type, but open up in fair weather for view.
    BTW tarp doors are a very easy DIY project you could use Cuben Fiber Fabric with C.F. tape or Tyvek, or Silnylon or something else.
    Also set up in your backyard or porch or park etc (with simple blanket not that super quality UQ) and spray with a garden hose test how it performs with simulated "side rain". It takes a while to dry out down so don't risk it until you have confidence in your weather protection system: tarp, doors and quilt protector etc. Or whatever you end up with. Testing is key.
    Edit: if you have option of returning dryfly for one with more coverage that might be good unless you have the budget for many traps. I like minimal tarp for best view if little or no rain and low humidity I.e. not much morning dew. Clear plastic tarp is fun but most don't last long. But like I said many pros and con no single "best method".
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-20-2014 at 18:27.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Our first setups were ENO one links, with DN, and Dry Fly. We have used it in those torrential afternoon summer storms we get here in Florida and they have always kept us dry. Of course, while we get directional rain, there aren't many rocks for the water to bounce up from underneath.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast