I know, I know. A trip report for a car camp trip? Yeah we didn't do 18 miles in a day to get to a spectacular site, there were no great adventures in backcountry, nor did we pitch on a rocky outcropping halfway up a mountain. What we did pull off was full bellies and smiling campers, as well as genuinely piquing interest in these overgrown slingshots we sleep in.
WP_20140720_009.jpg

So for site selection, we lucked up and got two spots, fairly separate, with a pier just down from it.
WP_20140719_007.jpg

As the first to arrive, there was a good bit of time to get set up. Utilizing three trees, I did two bunk bed style setups with a third hammock behind each bunk using the same head trees and luckily spaced foot trees near the bunk pairs. this was REALLY a great setup for my wife and I to take two kids each, one over, one beside.
WP_20140719_004.jpg

After the initial hanging of the hiney slings, had to get a fire going for coffee. No rings or pits, so some of the firewood was drafted for wind shields. As it's a public (if privately owned) campground, the only wood gathered on site was a few twigs to pile on the fat pine we brought. I even brought the sticks for the lashed tripod you see to have minimal impact on the area.
WP_20140719_010.jpg

The crew arrived around five, after they settled in all I heard was POOL! POOL! POOL! so there we went. It's hard to resist when you're outnumbered 5-1. Walked back to the site and started the baked beans that eat like a meal (my own recipe) and some chunky boneless riblets on the grill. The missus was nice enough to bring the potato salad, so it wasn't scratch made on site as usual. I publicly thank her for that, as by now I had been up about 28 hours due to having to work the night before!
After a good nights sleep, in which only 3 or 4 mosquitoes came to visit my sans bugnet rig it was nice to have this to wake up to.

WP_20140720_003.jpg

Obviously this troop had a good time!
WP_20140720_013.jpg

We stuck around and had a nice breakfast of cheddar sausages and apple pie oatmeal (have to thank backpacker mag for that recipe, it is awesome) as well as more good coffee. A fellow camper came by and chatted while we shared some grub. It was a wonderful time we had, but sadly civilization was calling. Got packed and headed out, my youngest daughter wanted to take a pic of my reaction to facing the world again
WP_20140720_015.jpg
and here was her reaction to my reaction.
WP_20140720_014.jpg

All in all, it was an excellent run. No mishaps, no goose attacks, no flaming campers, and surprisingly enough it was pretty quiet for grounds this size. If you're in the area, this location is worth checking out for a nice pull up and set up experience.

May your nights be outdoors be plentiful, and your hammock never touch the ground.

bringerofgame (bog)