Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Also look at the articles on the left side of the home page over at WhiteBlaze.
    Absolutely!
    Tarlin's resupply guide is a tremendous resource. It's a little dated, but still very effective. One note; the store over at the Fontana Lake Lodge is a good resupply spot. No need for a bounce box at Fontana. You can get all you need to make it to Curtis's place on the north side of the Smokies.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I may be a little bias but you may also want to check out the guidebook Appalachian Pages.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade Quilts
    Cannibal is right about Fontana, load up there, and then again at Standing Bear. I have not done a thru, but I did a solid 30 days on the trail and spent less than $200. I hiked everyday. It probably would have helped if I took a day off every 7-10 days instead. If you get bogged down in towns, that is where you burn the bucks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treehouseguy View Post
    I have been talking to some of my friends and family about this and I’ve decided to make a solid go at trying to make it happen next year. That said, aside from picking up various books and doing the research thing (which I’ll definitely get a jump on here shortly), I’d really appreciate it if you guys (and gals) would answer some of the more important questions I have, like:

1. What’s your budget?!? I need a number to shoot for to start saving for it. You can even high ball me… I don’t care… I just need a number.

2. How many of you do it Solo? I mean I know you meet a bunch of people along the way but how many of you start out all by your lonesome? That is one of the first things people ask me: “Who are you gonna do it with?” - “Myself?!? Who else?!?” Almost everybody I know has a life that they can’t take a break from…

3. And, for those of you who have done it before, what would you do different (or are doing different) next time?

I’ll leave it there for now. More to follow, I’m sure, but thanks in advance for the input! I love this site!!!

Don't sweet the planning. It isn't worth it. throw your stuff in a bag and go. Your'll figure it out as you go. Just make sure your warm, dry, and well feed. Everything else falls into place. If you go north there are a ton of places to change everything. That and being impatiant is why I think most people go that wrong way. Southbound was awesome. I went that way in 07. You just need to have more things figured out. I had most of my gear down and that helped a lot. I saw people that didn't make it, the start was just a little rougher.

1. $5k is right, not including extra for replacing out gear. Not to mention any bills you still have to pay back home. Also plan on wanting to spend a month or 2 not working when you get back. You'll need some time to be able to stand the fake world again.

2. I figured I hiked a third of it alone. Differen than most. I could have hiked with others, but I didn't want to do the crazy miles. It's only hiking and the only animals to worry about are small and after your food. You'll figure it out.

3. I did it my way, wouldn't change it. A new hike would be a new hike. Don't get caught up in what other people are doing. I saw more than one hike ended because someone went with a group or person that didn't fit their style. Be selfish and realize this is a vacation and trip for you.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    1. $4500 minimum. I spent about $4700 10 years ago, but I enjoyed myself.

2. Most people go solo. This is only a problem if you have a problem with it.

3. I would take more blue blazes instead of being completely ruled by walking past every white blaze. I would backtrack a half mile from a distant shelter to the AT instead of going up the access trail and rejoining the AT a mile further up. I had it in my head that I HAD to pass ALL the white blazes.

Laurie Pottinger, of the ATC, explained they would never consider disqualifying someone as a 2000-miler for skipping such an area. Personally on a second thru-hike, I wouldn't worry about the certificate or patch.

I would try to see new stuff I missed the first time around. I would definitely take a LOT of blue blazes. And I would probably go south bound.
    I hear more people say that and slow down that anything. I did that until Monson. Than I passed the perfect person for me. A northbounder who went on how people were ruining their entire hike because they were walked the Creeper trail out of Damascus instead of the AT. There was no point in them finishing. After that I decided I was walking where ever I wanted to. Your walking across the country in the mountains, nothing else should matter.

The patch is a personal thing decision. There are so many people that get it that skip major sections or drop out. My personal take is if you walk from Maine to Georgia than you should get it if you want. No one hikes the real AT anymore. Bob Peoples changes it constantly. No regretts on passing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    quick question here...
    this money.... is that a total amount?? meaning that out of this $$ you'll be buying your gear, your food that you carry, your gear you have to replace while on the trail, overnight stays in hostles (is that the right word??), food/stuff you buy at tradingposts along the way & whatever else happens to come up...... Or does this amount assume that you've got your gear that you're starting out with?
    All of that is after gear. I figured I was carrying $1000 to $1500 in gear. That's with my DIY setup and some great deals on the rest. Killed the gear budget by switching out the pack a lot. Won't even start on how much I struggled with footwear.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    another note on Whiteblaze, spend $10 and become a donating member. Well worth the $10. You can then download a lot of information. Yes, most of it can be dug up in other places, but the $10 is a major time saver! (and I should do that here said the fox to the rabbit....)
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treehouseguy View Post
    1. What’s your budget?!?

2. How many of you do it Solo?

3. And, for those of you who have done it before, what would you do different (or are doing different) next time?
    I attempted a thru-hike in 1998 with a good friend. We started Southbound. I never made it out of Maine due to injury (crappy knees from high school football caught up with me). My buddy made it to Delaware Water Gap and dropped out (he thought he had Lyme Disease).

1.) I had heard the figure of about a dollar a mile at the time, and planned accordingly, but I think the recommendations of others here is right when they say about $5000.

2.) See above. I started with my buddy, who I've known since 7th grade, but we had completely different hiking styles and the partnership didn't work. He was a "hard charger" motivated on eating up the miles...I was happy exploring at a moderate pace. If you go solo, there's a good chance you'll find someone to hike with out on the trail that matches your style.

3.) If I had it to do over today... I'd have completely different and lighter gear than the stuff I was carrying in '98. I'd train a lot more (and harder) prior to starting the hike...at least a year in advance. I'd also give myself a couple days to acclimatize...believe it or not, it was rough coming from basically sea level here in South Florida to the elevations in and around Millinocket, ME and Mount Katahdin. Big difference. I'd also choose to hike solo, instead of partnering with a friend who has a different hiking style than I do. Nowadays, I think I'd choose to section hike as well as blue blaze if I felt like it, as opposed to doing a full blown thru-hike.

Hope that helps you a bit. In the end, it's your hike and no one else's, so hike the hike you're gonna be happy with.

Read Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayakado View Post
    Read Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods"
    One of these days I want to give it a read just to see. The funny thing is when I was on my hike, I would ask around in the book store for good things to read. Everyone would keep recommending this when they learned I was hiking the trail. Last thing I want to do is read about hiking, while I am hiking.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just be sure to put your 'thick skin' on when you go over there. There are a lot of meatheads on that site, but it is easily one of the best resources for AT information. Use the search feature extensively, there be some real gems of info over there.
    You can say that one again Cannibal!
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast