ENO Singlesnest
    Tarp
    JRB CatTarp
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Rope/EnoSlapstraps

AT Thru-hike: First round of QUESTIONS.

I have been talking to some of my friends and family about this and I’ve decided to make a solid go at trying to make it happen next year. That said, aside from picking up various books and doing the research thing (which I’ll definitely get a jump on here shortly), I’d really appreciate it if you guys (and gals) would answer some of the more important questions I have, like:

1. What’s your budget?!? I need a number to shoot for to start saving for it. You can even high ball me… I don’t care… I just need a number.

2. How many of you do it Solo? I mean I know you meet a bunch of people along the way but how many of you start out all by your lonesome? That is one of the first things people ask me: “Who are you gonna do it with?” - “Myself?!? Who else?!?” Almost everybody I know has a life that they can’t take a break from…

3. And, for those of you who have done it before, what would you do different (or are doing different) next time?

I’ll leave it there for now. More to follow, I’m sure, but thanks in advance for the input! I love this site!!!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I haven't thru hiked, but I live in a trail town and take in hikers. I've heard people say that starting out with a partner can be problematic because you may have different fitness levels or ideas about how many miles to put in during a day. Most people seem to meet others on the trail and form a predictable cohort that moves at the same pace.

When you get closer to the hike, PM me and I'll send you my contact info so you can look me up when you get to Waynesboro.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treehouseguy View Post
    1. What’s your budget?!?

2. How many of you do it Solo?

3. And, for those of you who have done it before, what would you do different (or are doing different) next time?
    1. $4500 minimum. I spent about $4700 10 years ago, but I enjoyed myself.

2. Most people go solo. This is only a problem if you have a problem with it.

3. I would take more blue blazes instead of being completely ruled by walking past every white blaze. I would backtrack a half mile from a distant shelter to the AT instead of going up the access trail and rejoining the AT a mile further up. I had it in my head that I HAD to pass ALL the white blazes.

Laurie Pottinger, of the ATC, explained they would never consider disqualifying someone as a 2000-miler for skipping such an area. Personally on a second thru-hike, I wouldn't worry about the certificate or patch.

I would try to see new stuff I missed the first time around. I would definitely take a LOT of blue blazes. And I would probably go south bound.

Images
    1- 5000
    2- go solo
    3- finish

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    quick question here...
    this money.... is that a total amount?? meaning that out of this $$ you'll be buying your gear, your food that you carry, your gear you have to replace while on the trail, overnight stays in hostles (is that the right word??), food/stuff you buy at tradingposts along the way & whatever else happens to come up...... Or does this amount assume that you've got your gear that you're starting out with?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Bearpaw is right on track with his answers.

1. I have a little over $5,000 saved but and shooting to spend less than $4,000.
    2.I am planning on starting out solo. I know I will find someone or fall into a group within the first week or two.
    3.Sorry, cannot answer this one yet. I am thru hiking next year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You should probably go to Whiteblaze and ask these questions if you haven't already.

1. AT LEAST $5,000. Do not forget about when you are done and have no job. It's not like you'll be in hurry to get one anyway. Have extra $$.

2. Unless you are a complete anti-social, solo is going to be tough if going northbound. You'll hear that question a lot, even during the hike. There is no way that I know of to accurately explain it to somebody that doesn't 'get it', just like the questions about bears and snakes. Hiking with a partner is excruciatingly difficult; I know. You'll end up hiking with a few people just because your hiking styles mesh well. Not a good thing to force. Just start solo and enjoy meeting all your new friends.

3. I'd spend a lot less money, otherwise, not a thing. Best days of my life so far and it's been an awfully good ride.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Singlesnest
    Tarp
    JRB CatTarp
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Rope/EnoSlapstraps
    Thanks Cannibal, didn't know about Whiteblaze - another site to burn up all of my free time!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by treehouseguy View Post
    Thanks Cannibal, didn't know about Whiteblaze - another site to burn up all of my free time!
    Just be sure to put your 'thick skin' on when you go over there. There are a lot of meatheads on that site, but it is easily one of the best resources for AT information. Use the search feature extensively, there be some real gems of info over there.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Just be sure to put your 'thick skin' on when you go over there. There are a lot of meatheads on that site, but it is easily one of the best resources for AT information. Use the search feature extensively, there be some real gems of info over there.
    Also look at the articles on the left side of the home page over at WhiteBlaze.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast