View Poll Results: Where does a California hanger hang?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yosemite

3 16.67%
  • Sequoia - Lodgepole, Wolverton, Mineral King

3 16.67%
  • Kings Canyon

2 11.11%
  • one of the wilderness areas - Ansel Adams, John Muir, Dinkey, Kaiser, Golden Trout

10 55.56%
  • somewhere national forest-y off the beaten path

12 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    But with that said, if I can get a ride, i'd be down for Big Sur.... but unfortunately thats a big if right now.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Plowhorse brings up a good point about hunting season. I'd think you'd be pretty safe in a NF campground area; but, it's something to consider if intending to make our own camp somewhere.

I'd definitely be down for a Big Sur trip as long as we were able to make a trip to the Big Sur River Inn to grab a drink and sit one of their benches down in the river at one point.

One thing to consider late season, is storms. Normally I do a trip in October; but, two years ago a few people got stuck due to snow for a week in an area I left just days before. Not a huge deal if your ready for it.. but something to be aware of.

Another option might be a NorCal and a SoCal trip.. with maybe a joint AllCal trip later. We do have to remember California is a pretty huge state. I've driven 9 hours straight (starting in SF Area) to areas in the southern deserts and never left California. If picking one trip, a central location is going to be crucial and I think Big Sur might be hard for people in SoCal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    CCF pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    ya tiki... i did that just yesterday starting from san diego, and ending up in johnsendale I do agree that a so cal and nor cal trip would be better then we could have an allcal trip somewere midleish like big sur...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Funny, never heard about Johnsdale before. Looks like its in a nice area. Were you camping out there?

If we ever do get to Big Sur there are some places to camp just south of the summit of Nacimiento Rd. They are all dry camps (no water) and some don't have too many trees.. but some do.. kinda a quasi campground/open camping area in the NF. Usually the fog rolls in bellow you since you are up on a ridge overlooking the ocean.

Fires and rain/landslides can be an issue that hampers access sometimes.

I've done some camping in Baja as well.. so if anyone feels brave enough to get a trip together down there I'd be intersested. It can be hard to find trees unless your way up in the Sierras away from the coast.

I vote for something around shaver lake area its a central area with lots of trees. Mono Hot Springs area is also very pretty and hammock friendly but harder to get to.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yosemite Ten Lakes would be an awesome spot for a group hammocking trip...plenty of trees, good views at the pass on the way up and a great lake with awesome mountain/moon reflections in it right at the campsite.

Plenty of trees around Winnemucca as well. Check the forecast for snow.

Little Sur River was one of my favorite spots when I lived in Monterey. Park at Bottcher's Gap and it's only a few miles in...camp right by the river. Lots of trees but suitable trees right next to the river could probably only support a handful of hammockers. But it would be right in the middle of the Northerners and Southerners, and Big Sur Inn isn't far away for the post-trip meal. And no worries about snow year round.

Pics of all these locations here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPictures.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    has anyone decided on a place for the hang yet? would be nice for a hang for everyone in the state.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I'm going to narrow my own choices down to Big/Little Sur for the year round nature of the area - I spent Christmas camping in Big Sur, it's cold but wonderful without the crowds - and Shaver area.

Here are some shots of a recent journey out to Courtright Reservoir.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2015021&

I hung in one of the campgrounds but it's easy to camp in a pullout in the road (national forest) and hammocks are right at home on hills. If we got a couple of campsites before the grounds close for the winter we could day hike all over the place, climb a granite dome or two, walk up to Eagle or Dogtooth peak, or fish. There's two trailheads with multiple destinations, boat ramps, and salmon or trout in the lake. On the way out there's a really good pizza place in Shaver.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I vote for big sur. I have never been there, and in oct I will probably like camping on the coast(also a first).
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I just came back from Courtright Reservoir. I spent 1 night in Trapper Springs campground. (car camped). The second I packed into Nelson lakes 5 mile hike . It quite nice. I spoke to the camp host. He says he stays open till they don't clear the roads for snow anymore. Usually Mid November.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast