Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    One thing to remember as well is that nylon stretches and then relaxes back to original length ready to stretch all over again. There are some strong reasons why the far majority (my guess is over 90%) of hammock hangers use polyester.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Tenkara-Fishing.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    One thing to remember as well is that nylon stretches and then relaxes back to original length ready to stretch all over again. There are some strong reasons why the far majority (my guess is over 90%) of hammock hangers use polyester.
    Well what can I use 600 feet of nylon webbing for?

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Open Cell underpad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    what color is it? You could maybe make a sort of pack strap net to hold things to a pack frame? or a cargo net style hammock.......just for kicks... lots of lashing straps for gear sacks........

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you can put your MSH really close to the tree it will virtually negate any stretch. Being nylon is why people recommend against using the ENO slap straps.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeaddict View Post
    Well what can I use 600 feet of nylon webbing for?
    Exactly!
    It would be different if you were asking what to buy, but you have the webbing already, so go ahead and try it out.
    My guess is that most hammockers haven't compared nylon and polyester webbing for suspensions, but have just followed the 'collective wisdom'....
    Nylon webbing usually has 10-20% elongation at the breaking load. For your webbing, the loading will be 1/10 of the breaking load, or less, so I don't think the elongation will be a big deal.

And, yes, with use the webbing will get 'stretched out' and 'set' a bit - this has nothing to do with the fibers stretching, but is the result of the weave tightening up - it varies with the weave style IME, with flat webbing being tighter-woven than the softer tubular.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Exactly!
    It would be different if you were asking what to buy, but you have the webbing already, so go ahead and try it out.
    My guess is that most hammockers haven't compared nylon and polyester webbing for suspensions, but have just followed the 'collective wisdom'....
    Nylon webbing usually has 10-20% elongation at the breaking load. For your webbing, the loading will be 1/10 of the breaking load, or less, so I don't think the elongation will be a big deal.

And, yes, with use the webbing will get 'stretched out' and 'set' a bit - this has nothing to do with the fibers stretching, but is the result of the weave tightening up - it varies with the weave style IME, with flat webbing being tighter-woven than the softer tubular.
    Thanks for that input. I'll just give it a whirl. Does anyone know of any sites that provide cold hard data on stretch and strength of different flat webbings?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft...
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    Synthetic and Down
    Suspension
    Straps & Amsteel
    There is a lot of guessing going on. Your weight rating is quite high on it so it may be fairly dense stuff. Some nylon webbing has less than 5% and some loose weave has ...lots. Some won't stretch at all till it gets wet.

Just try it and see how it goes. I currently use some 1200 lb rated high density thin nylon straps and they have no stretch.
    Sooo try it and see...

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I am not sure why the exsperianced folks that have been at this for year are "guessing"....I think that most are relaying actual anacdoatal exsperaince. I have tested close to a dozen diffrent webbings of all major material types over the past 6 years. The first straps I used myself were nylon...left me laying on the ground in a matter of very little time and when I got out of the hammock in the moring I watched as it slowly raised back up in the air as the straps relaxed back to original lenght.

There are all sorts of good used for nylon...most of us would say that hammock camping is not one of them.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Tenkara-Fishing.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I am not sure why the exsperianced folks that have been at this for year are "guessing"....I think that most are relaying actual anacdoatal exsperaince. I have tested close to a dozen diffrent webbings of all major material types over the past 6 years. The first straps I used myself were nylon...left me laying on the ground in a matter of very little time and when I got out of the hammock in the moring I watched as it slowly raised back up in the air as the straps relaxed back to original lenght.

There are all sorts of good used for nylon...most of us would say that hammock camping is not one of them.

Take a look around the forum. This is not the first time this discusion has been had around here.....there are proably no less than 50 of these threads in the last year...let alone 10.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    nylon webbing is really useful for MOLLE gear if you are into tactical gear.
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson