Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edgeaddict View Post
    Well what can I use 600 feet of nylon webbing for?
    If you still need ideas and your webbing is tubular you could try out slack lining. For that nylon is preferred because it stretches. If you've never heard of it check out slacklining.ca. It's lots of fun for a camping activity and can be done anywhere where there are trees!

If you're interested I can give you some tips for a good set up.

Hammock
    DIY bridge+10 0thers
    Tarp
    HH Hex + DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ/U Q + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Cinch Bu
    Interesting, not sure this is correct info. All of the professional slack lines I have see have been Polyester. Had the opportunity to talk to the manufacturer at the Outdoor Retailer Show several years ago and they had a number of them set up and pros doing demonstrations then challenging people to try it out. No I did not try it,still recovering from knee replacement surgery at that time.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Structural Ridge Line?

can someone point m in the direction of a structural ridge line tutorial?
    It might be best for you to start a completely new thread on ASRL or SRL (adjustable or not), ask about the benefits. I have seen some great discussions on this in the past, mine is not adjustable (not easily adjustable anyway) but here are some links, not the best so start a new thread you may get a much better response. Personally I think it is not a problem to re-disscuss what has been talked about extensively in the past. People get to know each other and it may just spark some innovative new idea. I work in advanced research this is just how great new ideas happen, new person comes in we rehash old ideas or problems to be solved from time to time.

comment #9 is good in thread below:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ural-Ridgeline

Video below is NOT about Structural Ridgeline but shows how SRL is attached to typical suspension systems of gathered end hammocks this may not be helpful, it may be very obvious but here it is:

Add SRL to hammock:

How to actually make a fixed SRL for hammock:

BTW I'm glad that heavy duty webbing worked out for you. A friend here in TX has some huge bald cypress on his ranch down by the Frio River that runs thru it. These trees range between 4 to almost 20 feet in diameter, a webbing strap to go around them to protect their relatively thin bark would be incredibly long. Usually I just try to find a smaller oak tree near by. 20x3.14=63 feet of webbing, this tree was at one time the state champion bald cypress, I would never put a strap around it, almost a sacred tree. Largest TX oak tree (at one time anyway) is in town nearby. Also quasi sacred no straps allowed.

Extra nylon webbing? Well now you know. Seriously... make a webbing hammock or something. I have also heard of people concerned about falling branches (probably not backpackers) who put up one or more extra ridge lines above their tarp and lateral lines down from it to deflect branches and falling trees. Theoretically you only need to slow the rate at which the tree/branch falls on you to save your life, not completely stop it. Not all "widow makers" are 100% foreseeable. People who say they can look up into a tree and guarantee that no branch will fall from it probably lie about a lot of other things as well, or never spent much time outdoors, especially around cottonwoods.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-31-2014 at 01:17. Reason: added more videos

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

webbing strap Mayan hammock not for backpacking

"Extra" webbing project in your "spare time" I am joking a little bit here but something that would seriously be fun to do but I personally know I would probably never get around to would be to: Make a very heavy duty hammock from nylon or polyester straps Mayan style or Hatteras style. The all American Hatteras style with spreader bars may be easier but I am not a big fan of those (youtube videos suggest that black bears enjoy them however). It might work out best to sew the webbing together but if you prefer "stitch witchery" iron on tape or super glue (the gel not the liquid plz take my word for it). A thread injector ( sewing machine) is cheaper and better long term. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The LumberJack View Post
    I think this forum is designed to be, and is trying to remain as neutral to every question posted as possible. I dont think anyone "Tries" to offend, "knock" or be belligerent to anyone else on this forum. If someone was to intentionally try to hurt someone EVER on this forum, I think the admins and mods are probably good enough to take care of it. Justice cannot be achieved with EGO.
    Was the EGO statement aimed at me? I'm not following. I think we established about a dozen posts ago that there was no harm no foul. So what seems to be the issue now? That I stuck up for myself?

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC hammock
    Tarp
    DIY sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezhiker View Post
    Interesting, not sure this is correct info. All of the professional slack lines I have see have been Polyester. Had the opportunity to talk to the manufacturer at the Outdoor Retailer Show several years ago and they had a number of them set up and pros doing demonstrations then challenging people to try it out. No I did not try it,still recovering from knee replacement surgery at that time.
    Sorry, yes you are right. The ones used in actual competitions are different from the ones that tend to be used for recreational and climbing use. Those are wider (around 2" and are single layer poly webbing). The ones used for backyard slack lining are usually 1" tubular nylon in my experience. It provides a nice bounce, can be tightened enough by one person, and is a little more forgiving for beginners.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by poca View Post
    Sorry, yes you are right. The ones used in actual competitions are different from the ones that tend to be used for recreational and climbing use. Those are wider (around 2" and are single layer poly webbing). The ones used for backyard slack lining are usually 1" tubular nylon in my experience. It provides a nice bounce, can be tightened enough by one person, and is a little more forgiving for beginners.
    Poca kind of brushed on it. There are many different types of webbing used for slacklining. The difference being what you want to do. Tricks, long lines, just fooling around. Poca is right though, the webbing you have is a great way to get into it. The webbing you have is more than enough for anchors and the line, you will just need a couple descending rings and about 4 biners.

This guy has lots of good info on it if you are interested.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDzz5H2VQA

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Nylon webbing better than duct tape for hammock? Ask this kid

I accidentally ran into this photo of a college kid in a "duct tape" hammock and thought of all your "extra" nylon webbing.
    I suspect this "kid" in the photo may eventually suffer from a "Sore Butt Syndrome" she did not use much tape. LOL

duct-tape_hammock.jpg

I have a very old bike cart once used to pull toddlers behind my bicycle, the nylon fabric is almost totally shot but if I restrung it with nylon webbing I could still use it to haul gear with. Once I saw a bunch of tubers floating down a river with a smoker in a separate tube smoking their lunch, BBQ. I believe they had some sort of webbing with welding blanket or something protecting the heavy duty tube. I was like "WHAT the Hey! did I just see!?, that was creative and a bit risky." LOL

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    Was the EGO statement aimed at me? I'm not following. I think we established about a dozen posts ago that there was no harm no foul. So what seems to be the issue now? That I stuck up for myself?
    oh, I am super sorry! I was just flipping through the pages reading the progress on the study, and did not finish reading the rest of the comments. It was not right for me to say anything. I really like this nylon webbing test, and I hope it works out good! I bought 25 yards of 1" nylon instead of polyester, and now I have no use for it really. the internet is ruining me, I need to go hiking!
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by The LumberJack View Post
    oh, I am super sorry! I was just flipping through the pages reading the progress on the study, and did not finish reading the rest of the comments. It was not right for me to say anything. I really like this nylon webbing test, and I hope it works out good! I bought 25 yards of 1" nylon instead of polyester, and now I have no use for it really. the internet is ruining me, I need to go hiking!
    No worries! I doubled up the straps by making continuous loops by water knotting the ends and then larks heading the straps to the anchor(read tree) and running my msh through both layers of strap.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345