Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images

Different width fabric Q's for double layers

Different width fabric questions for double layer hammocks.

Ok, so lots of 60" wide fabric isn't. Sometimes a little more, sometimes much more, then there's the whole usable fabric thing.

One can cut the fabric, get a nice straight, sealed edge with a hot knife and a lovely fabric table. Or like me at the moment, sewing in a little back room, small round table, no nice big fabric table, no open floor space, you can roll hem the long sides of both pieces and hope for the best.

Well, roll hemmed 48ft of length and I have about an inch mismatch in width. Cutting is not an option because at the moment, I'm not setup for a clean straight cut. Yes, I have plans for some old drafting tables and nice cutting surfaces, but for today I'm just going to top stitch the hems together.

Maybe roll one again?
    Roll them together and have a weird different color edge on one side of the hammock?
    Just fold the wider edge in again and top stitch the rolled hems and call it good?

Figured I'd ask before sewing this last 12 feet and hearing, "No! Never do that!"

Guessing this is a very common thing and most people cut it? Or just bury it in the finishing hem?

If it matters, the lighter, stretchier 1.1oz is the narrow piece, intended to be the inside and the wider is the Argon 1.6oz, intended to be the outside but feels so dang good against the skin, it ought to be the inside. Now I have to order more fabric with the color scheme reversed.

And is there a way to maybe use a zipper to hide my lazy, no cutting technique?
    This hammock will be prototyping my integrated bug net. Trying to innovate a little and make it just a bit different than that which is currently available. At least as much as I can given that I'm attaching a net to a hammock.

Thanks for any suggestions. Switching off the thread injector for tonight and going outside to get just a little more hang time before National Hammock Day comes to end.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I have made many DL tablecloth hammocks. The pieces are often not exactly the same width. An inch or so spread out across the width of a hammock won't make that much difference, IMHO. When I sew the ends together, I just make a tuck in the wider fabric.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I'm no expert, so I may be wrong, but the way I see it you have several options.
    1) Just sew the channels in the end and call it good. Might be a pain to make sure you're getting into the correct layer of the hammock.
    2) Sew a portion or all of the sides together with no fold. My double layer is just sewed for a couple feet in the middle so I could slide a pad between the layers if I wanted.
    3) Overlap the excess and sew. It would give you an interesting visual esthetic. Once again you could just do some in the middle or all of it.
    4) Hem the wider one down to the width of the other and then sew. That seems like too much work to me, but it's not my hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Maybe roll one again?
    Roll them together and have a weird different color edge on one side of the hammock?
    Just fold the wider edge in again and top stitch the rolled hems and call it good?
    I have done such with a DIY hammock where one fabric was 64" wide and the other was 60" wide.

Look at manufactures like ENO and Grand Trunk where they sew a different color extra length of fabric the length of the hammock.No one seems to think that's weird.

Also makes it easier to do a Knotty Mode.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I have done such with a DIY hammock where one fabric was 64" wide and the other was 60" wide.

Look at manufactures like ENO and Grand Trunk where they sew a different color extra length of fabric the length of the hammock.No one seems to think that's weird.

Also makes it easier to do a Knotty Mode.
    Haha, I like that, it's not a problem, it's a feature !!

I think I will roll the wider one in again on one side and sew it up as JBD suggests.

With my double layers I am liking sewing up one length side together completely and the other side tacked about 18" starting at both ends and again for about 24" in the middle. Room enough for a pad but still room for adjusting it.

As always, much appreciated.
    Back to the thread injecting...
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts