Some questions from a noob

A few questions for you crafty folks out there...

I know nothing about sewing. Will a regular consumer grade sewing machine handle two layers of 30 denier rip stop nylon? We have an ordinary run of the mill machine so I have to ask before I ruin it and my wife becomes infuriated with me.

I'm a rather stout variety of fellow so I have to ask, will a double layered nylon be strong enough to support my 300+ pound frame? If not what sorts of materials and/or techniques should I research.

Is there any particular advantage in choosing to build a gathered end hammock over the end loop type? I'm leaning towards gathered end for some reason whether it's justified or not.

Thanks,
    T

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Any machine will easily handle the thin fabrics we work with. The only challenge for a weaker machine may be sewing loops in the thick polyester tree straps. Me cheap machine will do it, but makes loud complaining noises.

If I were you, I would make a hammock using two layers of 1.9 Oz (70 denier) nylon minimum.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Any machine will easily handle the thin fabrics we work with. The only challenge for a weaker machine may be sewing loops in the thick polyester tree straps. Me cheap machine will do it, but makes loud complaining noises.

If I were you, I would make a hammock using two layers of 1.9 Oz (70 denier) nylon minimum.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Two layers of crinkle taffeta 60x126 tablecloth from tableclothsfactory.com would work and they are cheap, cut to length and hemmed. Sew an end channel, attach suspension and done.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would go with a double layer 1.9oz ripstop hammock. I would stay away from Walmart thread. Use something like Gutermann Mara thread.

Thank you for the feedback.
    As for the tablecloth idea, that reminds me, no one has responded to the question about gathered ends versus the sewn channels. Any input? Is either one better that the other?

Thanks,
    T

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well I prefer a sewn end channel, as it seems to me to be the most consistent. My wife prefers her whipped end hammock. Both are types of gathered end hammocks. On a sewn channel, your suspension runs through the channel; on a whipped end hammock, the suspension is larksheaded over the the channel, which is gathered up by a small cord running through the channel or the hammock end being folded in a particular manner. Either works well, each has its Pros and Cons.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    It depends on your interpretation of each. Like Boulderv7 states, you can put suspension inside of or outside of channel.

A whipped end just has a hem at the edge, gathered by your choice of method and whipping attached. Your suspension is then attached next to the whipping closer to the middle of hammock as opposed to the edge.

A channel end can either be structural, containing the suspension inside the channel (think ENO), or non structural. Non structural is a small channel just large enough to put a line in and gather the end. Then add suspension as a whipped end.

I like the channel end whipped method(knotty mod/WB style) on my hammock. It makes it very easy to undo if needed and regathered in a precise manner. It also makes a little ball on the end that I hang my UQ from.

About the sewing machine, just use it until it breaks. That will give you an excuse to get a beefyer machine
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    What everyone else has said pretty much sums it up. I just have a couple little things to add. I started out with a whipped channel type set up on my hammock, used a small cord through the channel to form a ball that I larks headed the suspension under. I have since switched it to the suspension going through the channel. There seems to be less of a calf ridge this way. I like this chart for fabric choices.

As far as sewing machines. I'd say run what you have until it dies. Then take what you've learned from using it and decide what you want after that. Such as did you every really use anything other than a straight stitch? A lot of us here like the old machines but when it really comes down to it, whatever gets the thread in the fabric and you hanging is good. I personally use Gutermann Mara 70. Three lines of that in the end channel should well for you.

• + New Posts