Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird, 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream,
    Insulation
    Klymit Hammock V
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle Strap
    I will not know for sure if I can come until Friday evening, and if I do come it would be just me. At this point, best to assume I will not be coming.
    Last edited by dosei; 08-07-2014 at 12:14.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dosei View Post
    I will not know for sure if I can come until Friday evening, and if I do come it would be just me. At this point, best to assume I will not be coming.
    I hope you can make it.
    "No whining in the woods"

Am trying to pull up the spreadsheet and place my name on it now. My wife and I (her name is Nancy) are coming Friday afternoon rain or shine. This will be our second trip to the Chatooga River, our first organized hang, and our 9th hammock camping trip so far this summer. Is there anything that we can bring?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    Am trying to pull up the spreadsheet and place my name on it now. My wife and I (her name is Nancy) are coming Friday afternoon rain or shine. This will be our second trip to the Chatooga River, our first organized hang, and our 9th hammock camping trip so far this summer. Is there anything that we can bring?
    I'm so happy you and your wife are joining us. It is a hike in, so we don't have any pot luck planned. If you have something you want to share with the group and you want to tote it in, feel free.

I am trying to keep my pack weight down (hard for me to do) So I am not planning to bring too much food. I am picking up Bar-B-Q on the way and it may be my dinner friday night and if any left over, will be breakfast Saturday.

Looks like I was successful in signing up on the spreadsheet. Another quick question, is everyone utilizing a bear bag? I used one a few weeks ago while hanging there for a week. It is a pain in the rear to have to hang your food. (The bear poles are mandatory in the Burrell's Ford campground.) I have never had a bear problem on the Chattooga, but have had one in the wilderness. It is not fun when a bear eats your food. He will tear your back pack to shreds. Can't quite get the reasoning behind people who want to sleep with their food to protect it. The bear does not care if you are holding it or not. You are not on his diet, but your food certainly is.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I don't think you have to worry about bears much, but the raccoons are terrible. I bear bagged my food and then went and hung out at the campfire with everyone. When I came back, a raccoon had gotten into my Ribz pack and pulled out a ziplock bag that had Dutch Bling in it. The raccoon tore the bag open and I had to recover the bling from the ground. Luckily I had left my Ribz pack open, so the raccoon did not harm the pack at all. I guess it was a dutch bling kinda raccoon.

So yes, I recommend bear bagging.

Had the most problem with mice, skunks, and racoons. If you stop in one spot for more than a day or so, even though you hang your pack, mice have little sticky feet and will walk down the hanging line and gnaw into your pack. Over the years have had it happen three times. Had a skunk under the vestibule of the tent with me looking for food. He must have felt like he found a relative after he smelled my boots. Had a raccoon on the Chattooga get into my cold food pack that had in the creek. It was because of him that I had to eat freeze dried food for the next meal. Those little rascals can be bothersome, but I guess we are visitors in their house. Now the bear incident, that was a different kettle of fish. He was not afraid of humans. He can smell food in unopened packages and is absolutely quiet until he starts tearing stuff open. I will have to tell you that story. See you there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    See you all out there. Bring your rain gear. Let's have some fun......

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Our group is packed up and ready to go, see you all soon.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40*
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I've packed my boys and mine rain boots and rain gear. Should be fun. We should arrive around 6:00 or 7:00'ish tomorrow evening.
    Last edited by Wallyrob; 08-07-2014 at 20:58.
    -No man is above the law and no man is below the law, nor do we ask his permission when we require him to obey it.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast