Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    My first hang, and it was an absolute blast. Thank you to those that made it possible. What a wonderful community of diverse people with a similar interest. I learned much as so many were glad to share their learning experiences. Thank you to everyone who made this weekend possible. And the pot-luck dinner on Saturday...Jeez! I shall never be able to attend another covered-dish dinner at the church without thinking back to this one and smiling: It will be the yardstick by which all future pot-luck dinners will be measured. I'll bring some smoked Boutte's boudin next year to contribute.

I camped on the water and electricity loop. Saturday morning a man in the fifth-wheel across from me came over to introduce himself by saying, "I wanted to see how a man could stay off the ground and warm in a thing like that." He was a scout master, and was currently in the process of considering the equipment needed to outfit his troop for backpacking. He said that he had been looking at light tents which would be easily packable by the young.

He had not seen our world before, and he was instantly intrigued. First thing, I mentioned and spelled this forum for him. He told me later that he visited here that night. I showed him mine and I told him about the hang and directed him to the trail to get him there. He and his family took the opportunity that day to walk the hang loop, and he returned FULLY intrigued!

I am a Boy Scout. Not everyone in my troop was as gung-ho about camping as the rest of us were, nor as attentive at scout meetings. I would imagine that kids today are even less invested in the Scouting experience with all of the distractions that are available to them, and like a pastor who must ready a sermon to inspire every Sunday morning, a contemporary scout master really has his work cut out for him in inspiring continued interest and fighting apathy.

Sunday morning we visited further and we discussed where to from here for them. I do not envy his task of keeping his scouts interested over the long haul. As a suggestion I directed him to the DIY section here, implying that not every scouting family has the discretionary income to properly outfit their scout - tent, hammock or otherwise. I remember the differences in equipment in my troop causing some individuals to feel less excited than the rest of us in our group adventure. I implied that maybe a collective troop project where scouts made their own somewhat homogeneous hammock equipment might help remedy this and other scout master issues too...mainly, the problem every scout master faces: how does a scout master keep his kids excited about scouting week in and week out, and how to promote parity in the shared experience among his scouts.

A project like this could last for months if they made everything they needed and thereby solve his weekly "sermon" issue, would cost less if everything is bought in bulk, and had the potential to more fully invest each scout in the project, and in scouting. I know I would have jumped at the chance to go on a camping trip where I got to use the any camping equipment that I had made. I mean, I liked carving a bear, but given the choice of whittling...or making my own hammock setup? Yeah, I'd be there EVERY Tuesday night until we finish that thang!

If I remember right I think he said he was from Willis. We should lend him our support where possible, and in doing so spread this sweet addiction.

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see a troop of Boy Scouts attend next year...

I caught the DIY bug while there too. Tom, I hold you fully responsible my friend! I told you when we sat down that because of the limitations on my time that I had just been buying what I needed up to that point. You are a master of sales my man. You immediately and skillfully harnessed my natural curiosity and sucked me right in! THANKS! You don't need to be nursing, you need to be a hawker on a carnival midway somewhere...no, seriously, THANK YOU for the investment of your time that you made in me. I will make sure that it was not wasted. And because of your interest in me I met a kindred spirit while you taught me, another East Texas river rat who is happiest and most at home in the palmetto and water oak-filled, timber rattler-infested river bottoms and sloughs of our state. Jeremy, I thought about a way to hang a hammock in your new boat on the way home. I ordered what I needed to do it to my river boat yesterday. Judging by the picture of the boat you built and the obvious quality of your work you are probably already way ahead of me on that though. PM me some time!
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 11-11-2014 at 16:33.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, I am touched that you thought so much of my splicing presentation. I just wanted to take the mystique out of splicing and show everyone how easy it is to make a lot of cool stuff that can be used for so many applications. Thanks for the kind words.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    What a great trip, thank you to everyone who put in the hard work to make it possible. I got to meet quite a few people, learned plenty and made some new friends. Already marked the calendar for next year.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Missy Lou View Post
    Sorry i'm going to miss this hang I had such a great time last year!! ...I will be missing Paul and all of you!!
    We were glad to see Paul but missed seeing you. He was supposed to deliver a hug. Collect on that.

Quote Originally Posted by split View Post
    We'll, split couldn't make it this year.
    I'm in Florida helping my Mother.
    This is the first hang without me.
    I sure want to be three with some of my favorite
    people, great folks and critters too.
    Next year my friends, next year

All the best,
    JP "split"
    It was the first time our hang was split-less. We missed you buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by EZbreezy View Post
    Thanks unclemike for putting this event together. Thanks to all the gracious hammock folks for letting me take a gander at their setups and take pictures and ask dumb questions.

Sorry about the barking puppy after dinner Saturday, he spent a quiet, warm night in the truck!
    Glad you could make it. Those "dumb questions" were easily answered because those answering them most likely asked them at some point in time. As for the barking pup, your's was not the only one. There was a lot of yapping that was going on. Maybe next year we'll have all those with vocal critters hang together and create one barker ally.

Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    made it home, face wind burnt from going windows down all 4.5 hours in this awesome weather. Excellent job Uncle Mike and crew.
    Glad you could join us. Thanks for helping folks find their way around a fid!

Quote Originally Posted by erinkae View Post
    Thanks! Was just the type of weekend we all needed.
    Yep. Much needed on this end too!

Quote Originally Posted by toferj View Post
    This was such a fun weekend!! Thanks to Uncle Mike, and everyone else who made this weekend possible!!!
    Glad you could make it! Lots of folks made it what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by gospidey View Post
    the whole GoSpidey crew are home safe and sound.
    Thanks to Mike and Alan his partner in crime and others to putting together a great show and good eats. I brought a friend to this thing who is newly converted to the whole hammock deal, and through the generosity of people there, he's got almost got a full set up. I am truly blessed to know such fine people!!! 2015's hang can't come soon enough :-)
    It's always good to see you "swing from a thread" Spidey! Seeing how much folks enjoy themselves make whatever Alan and I do seem insignificant. Talk about being blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Had a blast. Looking forward to next year!
    ditto squared

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    All secure in Indian Territory. Thanks, everyone...as always, had a great time.
    Thanks for making another trek south to The Republic. It's always fun for me to get to hang with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Mike ... Thank you so much for all you do for all of us .... I can't believe how this event has grown! Awesome people, awesome food, and great companionship .... Even with everything else going on, how can one NOT make this hang!
    It has grown Captn, that's for sure! +1 on the people, food, and companionship. Also, thank you for the role you play in making it a great weekend for me as well. I know you have a full plate right now and I'm really glad you and Tom could make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    Every year its the most amazing time. Every year we come back home going WOW. Every year we think "Nothing can top that" and every year I'm proven wrong.

First off: Words cannot express my thanks to Uncle Mike for arranging this every year. Thank you also for THE BEST breakfast tacos in the state of Texas.

Chris: That was the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted. You have a real gift and art with your dutch oven cooking.

Rat: Y'all are some of the best people I know... but then again, so are so many people on this forum.

Captain said it right. This is family. Thank you to everyone that came and wanted to listen to me babble on about plants. Can't wait for 2015.
    I agree that it seems to keep on getting better. Thank you for your part in it and for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Safe back at the Prairie Bungalow in Rosenberg. Had a fantastic time, made new friends and reacquainted with old ones. Special times with special people. We ought do this again sometime-----
    How about in 51 weeks? Maybe some smaller get togethers in between now and then too.

Quote Originally Posted by LoxyGirl View Post
    That was the most awesome camping trip I have ever been on. The company was great, the scenery of awesome. All around great weekend.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Polkster13 View Post
    My wife and I had a great time. This was our first hang with this group and we found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Made several new friends that we will be "hanging" with again in the very near future.

We are already looking forward to next years event. Thanks again to all of the organizers and presenters that made this years event a major success!
    I'm glad you had a good time. Make the most of the new friendships and get out in the trees again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by anjea214 View Post
    This was my first group hang and I had a blast! I really enjoyed meeting all of you, swapping stories, and just having a great time. I can't wait until the next one - I don't know if that will be next year or the one after...aiming for a kidlet #2 this year. ;-)

Here is a link to my pics for those not on the FB group. The album is public. Feel free to save pictures you like and if you reshare, I ask that you please give credit. Enjoy!
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10341...52621391657329
    Enjoyed meeting you too and glad you had a good time. Great pics! Thank you for sharing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonykarter View Post
    My first hang, and it was an absolute blast. Thank you to those that made it possible. What a wonderful community of diverse people with a similar interest. I learned much as so many were glad to share their learning experiences. Thank you to everyone who made this weekend possible. And the pot-luck dinner on Saturday...Jeez! I shall never be able to attend another covered-dish dinner at the church without thinking back to this one and smiling: It will be the yardstick by which all future pot-luck dinners will be measured. I'll bring some smoked Boutte's boudin next year to contribute.
    It was a blast for us too! As for measuring pot-lucks, I'm not going to do it. I can't imagine any others anywhere else that would be nearly as good so measuring against it might set me up for disappointment. I'm already looking forward to next year's
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    Well, we got back safe and sound Sunday afternoon, picked the doggies up from the parental units house and went back to my GFs place where we spent several hours looking at hammocks. At the end she "claimed" my Hammeck Envy as her personal camping hammock. Apparently I'm allowed to "borrow" it for backpacking trips. She said she had a great time and it was her first time hanging. She loved it! She's even ready do go again. As for me, it was once again great!! Didn't spend as much time around the "communal" fire as last year, but Jacki's kinda shy, and since it was her first time she preferred to hang at our site. Next year it'll be different.

Love you guys one and all and you (yes YOU! ALL of you!) are what makes this gathering such a blast! thanks Uncle Mike for planning this and for the cooking which I didn't get a chance to partake in. And to all who brought food....yum yum yum.

OH! And a special thanks to all the vendors who donated to the giveaway. You guys are awesome! See ya'll next year if not sooner.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Maverick Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Looking into that
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    A gentleman won some of the fabric at the camp out and offered it to my daughter, could you contact me please.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Are you ready to do this again?

7th Annual Texas Fall Hammock Hang this November 2015 hang plans are now underway and the planning thread is up and running right here.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061