New to me DD hammock..confused!

So I got a DD hammock and tarp (3m x 3m) gifted to me and want to go ahead and set the bad boy up. I pulled everything out in my room and holy cow that 3m x 3m tarp is gigantic!!! Is that the average size used for hammock camping (this is my first ever hammock)? Also the ropes for hanging the hammock from the tree are really big webbing type things and I have no clue how to tie the hammock to a tree. Also I noticed the tarp didn't come with any thing to suspend it with (it's a brand new set up all on the package, I just got it second hand.). Also the bug net side of the hammock has some loops to pull the net away from my face but what do I tie those to? Sorry for the wall of text, I'm a bit overwhelmed!

Probably best to head over to the DD website for some info.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL Winter
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DD undercover
    Suspension
    whoopies

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started my hanging career with much the same set-up, although I had the 4,5x3m tarp!

With its original suspension, the hammock ties off to the tree thus (or at least that's how I did it): wrap the webbing straps around the tree - one going on each side. on the "front" side of the tree, secure them around the tree with a reef knot with hitches - same as for your shoelaces really. I remember reading that DD suggests, contrary to many other hammocks, that you should try to make it really taught. I changed the suspension rather quickly, because it's not that easy to gauge where it's centred between the trees.

I used a really long rope for the tarp - usually I ran it underneath to lift it as much as possible (because I'm a tall bugger). I usually just tied the rope around the tree wih a taught line hitch, then fixed the center tie-out of the tarp on the line with a klemheist knot using a loop of old guy line, which made it nicely adjustable.

The line running under the tarp gives you the opportunity to tie up the bugnet as well. You can, as suggested by DD, use a stick to separate the loops and create more room. Any stick will do, also one that you find in the bush. The hammock is originally supplied with shock cords for those loops, which is not bad to avoid tearing the bugnet as you get in the hammock.

From, IIRC, my first ever real camping trip in a hammock, in northern Ontario, Canada:

Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I started my hanging career with much the same set-up, although I had the 4,5x3m tarp!

With its original suspension, the hammock ties off to the tree thus (or at least that's how I did it): wrap the webbing straps around the tree - one going on each side. on the "front" side of the tree, secure them around the tree with a reef knot with hitches - same as for your shoelaces really. I remember reading that DD suggests, contrary to many other hammocks, that you should try to make it really taught. I changed the suspension rather quickly, because it's not that easy to gauge where it's centred between the trees.

I used a really long rope for the tarp - usually I ran it underneath to lift it as much as possible (because I'm a tall bugger). I usually just tied the rope around the tree wih a taught line hitch, then fixed the center tie-out of the tarp on the line with a klemheist knot using a loop of old guy line, which made it nicely adjustable.

The line running under the tarp gives you the opportunity to tie up the bugnet as well. You can, as suggested by DD, use a stick to separate the loops and create more room. Any stick will do, also one that you find in the bush. The hammock is originally supplied with shock cords for those loops, which is not bad to avoid tearing the bugnet as you get in the hammock.

From, IIRC, my first ever real camping trip in a hammock, in northern Ontario, Canada:

What did you change the suspension to? That tarp looks about 2x as large as it needs to be!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    What did you change the suspension to? That tarp looks about 2x as large as it needs to be!
    IIRC, I bought some climbing rope and made short loops running through the channels at the end of the hammock where the webbing runs originally, with two descender rings for webbing straps that ran around the trees - much more adjustable. But I don't remember whether I ever tried it actually, because around that time I got my first warbonnet blackbird..

The tarp probably is 4 times as large as it has to be! I do like to have space underneath though - being 186 cm, headroom is a scarce commodity under any tarps, so I tend to go big or go home.. Nowadays I use a superfly from Warbonnet, but I sometimes miss the space that that giant tarp offered actually..

Quote Originally Posted by jscudds View Post
    Hmm, her suspension is different than mine and I don't have those poles she has to hold the bug net up. Mine doesn't have sleeves to hold poles either, just loops.

Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    IIRC, I bought some climbing rope and made short loops running through the channels at the end of the hammock where the webbing runs originally, with two descender rings for webbing straps that ran around the trees - much more adjustable. But I don't remember whether I ever tried it actually, because around that time I got my first warbonnet blackbird..

The tarp probably is 4 times as large as it has to be! I do like to have space underneath though - being 186 cm, headroom is a scarce commodity under any tarps, so I tend to go big or go home.. Nowadays I use a superfly from Warbonnet, but I sometimes miss the space that that giant tarp offered actually..
    Yeah I'm going to have to find someway to replace those. The weight from the webbing alone is excessive. Not really sure how to go about doing that though. Ideally I'd like to wrap something around the tree, snap a carabiner on and hang the hammock nice and easy but like I said, first hammock so I'm a bit lost.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch253 View Post
    Hmm, her suspension is different than mine and I don't have those poles she has to hold the bug net up. Mine doesn't have sleeves to hold poles either, just loops.
    Sounds like you have the 2012 model. IIRC from last year there are loops and a sleeve as the newer models come with a folding pole as part of the kit.

With my first DD (I've since bought the new model and given the older one to my son) I did a few modifications.

First, I got a couple of old carbon fibre tent poles, measured the length that I needed then cut them to size making sure I had one of the metal sleeves in the middle so I could fold them in half. I then sewed a couple of bits of webbing on the ends of the end loops (if that makes sense) so that the poles wouldn't slip out.

The setup on the newer models is pretty much the same as I 'modded' on my old one, except there is a sewn channel with a velcro cover.

Hammock
    DD Jungle
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just got the newest model of the Jungle hammock. It comes with the Whoopie slings, karabiners and tree huggers. This is such an easy system, I'd recommend it. You can buy the kit, then add it to your hammock:
    COMPLETE WHOOPIE SUSPENSION SYSTEM KIT: http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/suspensionsystem
    VIDEO ON HOW TO SET UP THE WHOOPIE SUSPENSION SYSTEM: http://www.ddhammocks.com/hammock_tv/video/3#video_46

As for the mozzie net, I think you need to run an extra line to be able to hang it from, like in the picture below (someone correct me if I'm wrong) or you could just hang it from your tarp line if you decide to put the tarp over the line rather than suspend it.
    DD_Frontline_Hammock_Brown_01.jpg

• + New Posts