Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    I don't think you will be that happy with the options, Although I haven't done them I feel like you will see many more people, you are not as deep into the woods. How many days are you actually planning ? and how much fishing and relaxing do you want? And are you willing to do some canoe carries ? Some of there suggested routes that are "over night options" are great stretched out a little, Think of it this way, the more canoe carries you do the less people you see.....

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks guys. I'm sure total seclusion won't be possible, but we also fly in for a short trip only and have other business to take care of and just want to get a few nights camping and canoeing. So when I say 'wilderness feel', obviously I realise it won't be like the trip I just made to the north of Sweden where I was airlifted by helicopter into the wild.. :-) I'm sure the routes will be beautiful, and we're doing it during the weekdays, so hopefully generally less people around. But we do manage our expectations too - as long as there's some nice scenery, and fairly peaceful paddling, we'll be happy!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    There is no doubt it will be a beautiful trip, If you want to get into a little more seclusion I would suggest the "nine carries" you wont be doing as many miles canoeing, but you will see little to no people, But some of the carries are defiantly a bit long, and carrying the canoe can be not so much fun. But it would make a great 2-3 night trip with some great fishing, But if your not looking to do much fishing it could be a bit short.... Ether trip will be great, and enjoy !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Drawing near now... We finally went for the Long Lake to Tupper Lake option, much due to the recommendations from the St Regis Canoe Outfitters. They're really great to deal with, patiently answering all our stupid questions! We'll be doing it between Sunday afternoon - Wednesday afternoon this coming week, in a vain hope that weekdays will also keep the population smaller.. I will forego most of the fishing this time, perhaps renting a pole at the place - seems a bit overkill to bring first flying into Europe and then crossing the Atlantic..

Now, from those of you knowing the area and the route - anything in particular we should be on the lookout for? Any sights we shouldn't miss, anything we should or absolutely shouldn't do?

Getting excited - haven't gone for a canoe trip in years! As in, when I was in what I think you guys over there call junior high!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    Drawing near now... We finally went for the Long Lake to Tupper Lake option
    You should have a good time. It's beautiful country (even if I'm partial to VT). On the subject of managing expectations, what passes for a mountain in those states may not match your expectations. There is a lot of up and down but 4000 ft elevation is considered a pretty big mountain by New England standards. "Rolling really big hills" might better describe a lot of that area. Hopefully you'll catch some of the foliage season as the sugar maples change color (happens in Sept or Oct depending on the year). That more than makes up for their short mountains.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    I am not familiar with that route, But I am sure it will be a blast. I am sure the outfitters can set you straight on the dues and don't of that route.... The leaves are starting to change now, but its still pretty green. I am heading into the ponds for some trout fishing Friday !! Oh this wont be on the canoe trip, But you should swing through lake placid on the way home its more or less on your way back to vermont, It was host of the 1980 winter Olympic. Its a nice little "Olympic village" !

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123