All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I like all the different responses, it gets old seeing everyone recommended blackbirds to every new person when there are so many options to choose from plus most people dont throw out that type of money when they havent even decided if they really like hammock camping yet. Not picking anyone out in particular I guess I just always see the same posts. But back to the point, you always go with whats best for you with price, features, weight, and DIY if youre so inclined. This forum has hundreds of extremely helpful people on it!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    The only problem is I can't find a hammock I want.
    I would suggest to get a hold of some hangers in your local and see what they have to offer. Here is the thread and spreadsheet from Flatline to help you find someone close
    Thread -->https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...al-Spreadsheet
    Spreadsheet-->https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&hl=en#gid=0
    I'm thinking I'm gonna want a double even though I'm a small guy (5'5") just because I would like the ability to completely cover my body with the hammock.
    SS touched a little on this. If the hammock is covering you, your probably laying in it like a banana. You should be at an angle to the hammock and this will prevent you from "covering" yourself with the hammock body.
    This is going to be a hammock that will hopefully get me more into hammock camping altogether so I'm not gonna be spending hundreds of dollars.
    You don't need to spend big bucks. As suggested, there are many less expensive hammocks. You can also MYOG, make your own gear (diy), a hammock for less than $10 then add suspension for a little more. I still use my first camping hammock for over 3 years in temps from 23*f to 85*f.
    Also I was wondering if I should get a hammock with a bugnest built in, does the netting get in your way?
    This is subjective to the user. I like the Fronkey style bug net (yes, bugnet is mandatory in Florida to not become mosquito buffet) and others here don't. Many built in bugnets are very nice and easy to use.

Try a few different rigs and good luck on finding your hang.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    I bought a budget hammock just to begin with. I think I paid about $25 and just ordered a bug net for that hammock that is completely separate so I can put it on or take it off as desired. I'm already wishing for a complete rig and am lusting over a War Bonnet but they are not cheap. The one I've priced out at almost $300 is gonna be a dream for the future after I practice up some on my budget set up. I still don't have a under quilt, but it's summer here in Central Kentucky so I'm not worried about that right now. I plan to practice and learn my way up the WBBB XLC with all the cool accessories. Good luck in your search.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've mentioned this in a couple of threads, but for a wide starter hammock, I really like my Equip from Walmart. It's really an ENO knock off and it's $14. I couldn't make one that nice that cheaply...

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Oh... And I am 5' 6" and the equip is plenty long and more than wide enough

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Get a tablecloth from tableclothsfactory.com, gather and whip the ends, add some suspension and you've got yourself a very comfortable DIY hammock
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Infinity outfitters double. You can get one with 6ft whoopies already installed for 60. And your supporting a made in USA cottage vendor.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm gonna take small issue with the notion that there is no benefit from having a hammock that one can wrap around you. I've used a Doublenest and gotten some small insulative benefit from wrapping it around me. Having said that I'll say that it was springtime in coastal Texas and the temp was in the high 60s, low 70s. I was using a cotton bag liner for a top quilt (with sweatpants and long sleeve shirt), and Underwoobie Version 1.0. I got a bit of chill at my shoulders, and grabbing the sides of the DN and wrapping them around me actually did some good. I wouldn't recommend this as a reason to buy a DN, nor would I say that it would be useful for anything other than the very limited scenario described above.

I bought this as my starter in March. I like it so far. I am 5'4" and was terribly concerned about the width of the hammock for diagonal lay so I went with this as it was long (for a mass production hammock) and wide. IT does have a lot of extra fabric that flops on your head on the diagonal but it doesn't really bother me much. Thing is if you get a ENO Guardian type bug net, as you will need bug protection in the North woods here and around the Midwest, you lose the advantage of the width a bit, since the design of the bug net restricts the hammock a tad. There are plenty of other designs of bug net out there that will not lead to this result though. I have no regrets on my purchase. I switched out the suspension for some whoopie slings and polyester webbing and added a ridge line. I am happy so far. It is showing me what works for hanging and helping me figure out what I would change for an upgrade once I have the whole hammocking thing down better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12