Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starter hammock question

So I've been wanted a hammock for some time now after every time I go tent camping. I am finally ready to get a hammock. The only problem is I can't find a hammock I want. I'm thinking I'm gonna want a double even though I'm a small guy (5'5") just because I would like the ability to completely cover my body with the hammock. This is going to be a hammock that will hopefully get me more into hammock camping altogether so I'm not gonna be spending hundreds of dollars. I saw eno and thought they were kinda pricey but I found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F5Y...pf_rd_i=507846. It is basically an eno doublenest but off brand. Has anyone had experience with this hammock before or should I spend the extra on an eno. Also I was wondering if I should get a hammock with a bugnest built in, does the netting get in your way?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    First, you get what you pay for. If you are just starting I would look at either the Warbonnet XLC and his hex tarp or a Hennessey Hammock with their hex tarp. You will want a bug net attached and either one of these will work great for a long time. Also, I would suggest not to go too short even though you are not over 6' as you will wish you had the extra room. Also, being in WI you would most likely use the solid cover that comes with the Warbonnet XLC at time of purchase. Also, look at getting the double layers as you allows you to place a mat in between for insulation. Have a great hang.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    77 x 110 is a good size for a parachute nylon hammock, and he price is good for what you are getting. You will need to get some tree straps---check Readtstrap.com for those. You will also likely want to change out the suspension. There are many options for this. My personal preference is dyneema slings with a cinch buckle (the buckles can be gotten at ReadyStrap) lark's headed through an end channel.

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_

Living in WI, you're next big concern is going to be top and underquilts and a good tarp. Don't skimp on quality for any of those, as they are truly life savers in your climate. You can get away with a cheap hammock, but second rate quilts can really be a problem.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Keep it simple, some tips to get you started

There are a LOT of opinions here at HF, not really any terribly wrong ways but some less than optimal choices. No personal experience with Blue Sky, but long term you can buy basic Amsteel cord and webbing strap material from a DIY supply like www.Dutchweargear.com and make your own suspension in very little time that is far superior to most of this cheap stuff at Amazon etc.

Personally I really enjoy a hammock that does not have a "bug net" attached permanently, but it is easy to just flip most of them out of the way so not a big deal either way. Not sure what the mosquito and bug situation is in your area during the times you are camping. There are several great DIY bug net instructions here at HF, Fronkey has a good one, but some others may be even simpler.

Some other hammocks with bug net attached to consider, my first "camping hammock" had the tarp, bug net and hammock all integrated together and was military surplus from the Vietnam War, I used it in the 1970s (I would not recommend such a system, wet tarp with hammock is a bad idea, but it does work).

http://www.rei.com/product/878944/be...-2013-closeout
    Return this to REI for refund if you don't like it.

Over priced ENO jungle nest IMO but I never saw one in person perhaps they are "The Bomb"
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...uct/JH001.html

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Outfitte...=yukon+hammock

Generally the longer the more comfortable if is within reason. i would recommend that you search for DIY instructions on tablecloth DIY hammocks. Make one of those, with DIY suspension and bug net. Then when you have more funds and are certain you really like hammock camping and are ready to spend time and money on under quilts etc perhaps buy a more expensive hammock from a Cottage Vendor. The craftsmanship and material are generally worth the extra money but that is a very personal opinion. #2 cost is probably insulation, UQ & TQ, possibly a pad, #1 cost is transportation expenses, i.e. getting to great camping locations which is the same for tent camping or perhaps more because tents require level ground, hammock all you need are trees or posts stuck in ground, tripods, car rack to fence post, rafters on side of shed etc. Have fun and keep it simple.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ammock-bug-net

Edit: I really like my WBBB XLC but do not consider it a low budget "starter" backpacking hammock, it is fairly heavy, longer than it needs to be (I'm only 5' 9") and all the extra zipper that allows the bug net to be removed and/or replaced with fabric (which costs extra) adds some unnecessary weight. So I may "love it" for camping out of a canoe or "short" backpacking trips but a serious backpacker would probably choose the WB traveler or Grand Trunk Nano 7 oz or an nylon Mayan like some Special Ops people do. To each their own no "right or wrong way".
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-27-2014 at 10:55. Reason: Edit: WBBB XLC not a "budget starter" BP

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    It would be impossible to figure what you will like. There are to many aspects of the hammock to know now what your end result will be. However this is what I would suggest,;first check to see if there are going to be any group hangs near you, see if someone near you would let you test some of there gear, buy something cheap and see if you get lucky.
    You will not lose much if you buy gear and it isnt for you. Many of the vendors gear sells for darn near close to the original cost. If you bought a warbonnet bb you could easily sell it.
    Most hammocks for most people are much more comfortable then anything on the ground. I started, and still use my bias sl camper. I have added a great many things over the years, bug net and under quilt to say the least. At some point I may relace it with a diy dl or something else.

The real fun with this stuff is knowing that even though many people do things the same way we all can and do change a great many variables to make it our own. I would say use your best judgement and spend as much as you can to get something and go from there. Another suggestion is to stick with a cottage vendor. The cost wont be much more and you can get a product made by the great folks of hammock forums, and usually customised to fit. Dont hesitate to ask these vendors any questions. Or any of us.

Btw I dont sleep outside without a bugnet. If I were to start today I would purchase one with an attached net/cover like the warbonnet, Hennessey, dream hammocks, jacks r better and many more.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Wisdom: spend money where it counts the most

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Living in WI, you're next big concern is going to be top and underquilts and a good tarp. Don't skimp on quality for any of those, as they are truly life savers in your climate.
    Sarge is a very wise man. The Underquilt(s) is very important. Before UQ hammocks were just camping items for the tropics. As many survival and military trainers will tell you double the insulation on the bottom as the top is the general rule and hammocks lack the natural insulation of the ground and any spruce or other evergreen boughs you can place down there. So goose and duck down as you probably know is very expensive but outlasts all synthetics if properly cared for. i.e. don't store in a plastic bin or put up moist, or compressed etc. Most cost effective for people with common sense who read instructions. My sister threw out some down pillows because they took to long to dry. Ouch, and she is a very nice, smart person.

Ed Speer was one of the most important, early innovators in the field of hammock insulation, read this sometime:

http://walkapedia.org/walking/featur...ing-speer.html

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Minor nit to pick---the ground gives no insulation value if you are on top of it. In fact,it will rob you of heat. Those pads you use when ground dwelling are not mattresses to make you comfy, they are insulation to keep the planet from sucking all the heat out of your body. The problem with hammocks is reduced temperature due to air movement----the same reason why bridges freeze before the roads do. Works great in summer, especially in the South, but can be a killer at temps lower that 40*.

You can get away with the same pad you use on the ground for a while, but an underquilt is where you should spend your first big money. Cheap hammocks look exactly the same as the expensive ones as soon as you go to sleep. Cheap insulation can be dangerous to your health.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    You are very correct Sarge. I was rushing my logic there and lost it. hammock's "flaw" as you said is air flow convection. Ground sleep in a primitive or survival mode is theoretically easier because you can put natural organic matter like leaves or a wool blanket or mylar space blanket down to reduce thermal heat transfer thru the ground. But this is generally less comfortable.

Edit: Busy day, I was rushed again. So we got off the primary topic of your thread. But insulation is possibly the most technically challenging issue in hammock camping. So as you may know from the various forms of "ground" camping i.e. bivy, tent, tarp etc if your inflatable pad has a major seam failure you may be able to easily stuff evergreen or other leaves etc under it and improve the R-value to get by. But if your down UQ gets wet for your hammock or it gets colder than you anticipated then you will need more creativity not to be very uncomfortable throughout the night. There are many solutions to this. BUT I went a long way around the evergreen "bush" to say many good hammocks under $50 will work just fine for you. Focus on the insulation or pad and UQ most, also tarp.
    SilvrSurfr's suggestion of a Buttinasling Hiker Lite for $29.95 is very good, put this high on your list of considerations.
    Weight - 9 oz. for single layer, 18 ounces for double layer

http://www.buttinasling.com/dolalo.html

I'm not sure how much ultra light is a requirement of yours, ENO and similar are OK but others will probably be more cost effective long term.

Another that is heavier and more expensive is (also available in longer and thicker fabric):

Single layer 1.1 Traveler by Warbonnet Outdoors
    Color: Olive Brown
    Weight capacity: 200 Lbs
    Item weight (webbing/buckles): 13.5 oz
    Item weight (whoopies): 10.5 oz.
    Fabric: 1.1oz/30D Nylon
    Price: $60

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/no-...ers-travelers/

If you use only for Backpacking eliminate the buckles they are fast and easy but not necessary.
    More specifically buy with buckles but swap out when you go ultra light to BP.

major differences between these two light BP hammocks are:
    polyester vs nylon
    no suspension included vs suspension included
    this may explain the 2x price difference

Whoopie Slings: for $5-6 you can buy 25' of 7/64" Amsteel and make 4 slings at $1.5 each.
    don't spend $10 on 2 unless you are in a hurry, you need to learn how to make these regardless. Just my personal opinion.

If you do not BP significant distances then a thicker fabric may last longer due to sunlight UV damage and various other factors that affect all hammocks, tents etc almost equally.
    Never store your gear moist, mildew will cause it to rot, this can cause fabric to rip.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-29-2014 at 16:20. Reason: Edit: insulation clarification and good hammocks

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivious View Post
    I'm thinking I'm gonna want a double even though I'm a small guy (5'5") just because I would like the ability to completely cover my body with the hammock.
    Sounds like you think the hammock is some sort of insulation, but as others have mentioned, you're going to need top and bottom insulation. Most folks start with a ccf pad on the bottom and a sleeping bag on top.

When ENO says SingleNest and DoubleNest, it really just seems to indicate a difference in width - 4'7" for the SingleNest and 6'8" for the Doublenest. The wider Doublenest obviously weighs more (20 oz. vs. 17 oz). They rate both hammocks for 400 lbs.

The Blue Sky hammock you linked to is using the same marketing spiel that ENO does: the double is more of a couple's hammock. However, most couples soon discover they can't sleep comfortably in a hammock so it's really a marketing gimmick for people who don't know any better. At your size, you don't need a 77" wide hammock - most people can do just fine with a 60 inch wide hammock. Some even use narrower hammocks.

A good starter hammock is the Buttinasling Hiker Lite at $29.95 without suspension or tree straps. It's 9.5 ounces and 55 inches wide and is my primary hiking hammock. I don't like hammocks with integrated bugnets because I'd rather leave the bugnet at home if it's not bug season (I use the BIAS Buginator bugnet). However, the vast majority of people seem to like integrated.

A cheap hammock with bugnet is the Byer Moskito Hammock. It's got a funky suspension but can usually be found for $35 or less at EMS, REI, etc.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End Ninja Black
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just .02 from another noobie. I just bought and built a gathered end hammock, whoopie slings, tarp, and tree huggers for relatively cheap and all with information found on this site. Ripstop nylon can be had at walmart out of the bargain bin, or from an online store like DIY Gear Supply. The sewing is really not so big of an obstacle to overcome. Just another iron to throw in the fire.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast