Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Think about your use:

Will you mostly camp when decent weather is forecast, so the tarp is just a "just in case" thing? A minimalist, or narrow hex like the Edge will be fine for you. (I like the edge, because I prefer the bound ridge-line design. I make all my tarps the same way). I used a tarp this size for a while, my only issue was some splashing in heavy rain.

If you're going to brave some more foul weather, but mostly camping during the cool to hot seasons (not winter) a larger Hex like the Mamajamba is perfect. My current tarp is this size, and I've had zero problems.

If you're going to camp in colder months (winter); or high, or shifting winds; consider a Superlfy, or a door kit for a Mambajamba. It'll help block out the wind and keep you warm, and also keep off wind driven rain, if the winds are changing directions. This may also be ideal if you take longer trips where weather is less certain. I plan to make a "close out" panel (or "griz beak" type panel) for my current tarp to let me close off one end in colder, or more foul weather.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have both edge and tadpole. so far the edge is smaller and lighter(material is lighter). tadpole I have is 12' RL, so a foot longer, and thicker material. bottom is also longer. give me a couple days I can post pics.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    I am very pleased with my Tadpole. This is/was my first tarp purchase. I cant comment on the others but have heard nothing but positive from satisfied users. For my needs this fit perfectly into how I am wanting to build my kit. My main delima now is a pack to carry it in. I'll never be UL or SUL (by definition) but I try to lighten up as much as I can. Thats part of the fun. I cant wait to get my shstuff together and get out and enjoy it. You cant go wrong with any of the cottage vendors here. Good luck with whatever you decide. One last comment, I have talked to the vendors themselves I have supported before I made a purchase and that helped in my deceision making.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I have both edge and tadpole. so far the edge is smaller and lighter(material is lighter). tadpole I have is 12' RL, so a foot longer, and thicker material. bottom is also longer. give me a couple days I can post pics.
    Both fairly new models?
    I'll be interested to see what you think of these.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    Both are within 5 months apart. Tadpole being last week. Just picking up tie out cordage tomorrow night then i can weigh them and take a photo of the smaller edge over the tadpole. Looks like it will be a Saturday morning project.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    You've probably already seen my thread about the the superfly, so I won't rehash any of that. I live in GA as well, so even though I camp year round, I don't consider myself to be a winter camper. However, I camp with scouts, so it's rare that we cancel anything due to weather.

I am *still* torn between the edge and the sf. The main reason is cost (money is tight for me as well). However, I know that if I just get the edge because it's cheaper, I'll probably regret it later. OTOH, I know that SF's sell like hotcakes on the fs forum, so it's just a matter of delayed gratification.

TLDR: don't let money rush your decision. Use a cheap blue tarp to get out there while you save for what you really want.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ mods
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks everyone for the replies. As many have said, i have decided to wait and not rush a decision because of money. Still being a ground sleeper sometimes too, i usually will sleep in the hammock in fairer temperatures and weather, so i have decided to pursue a tarp like the edge or tadpole. i believe these will suit my needs best. now just to choose between the many options out there

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    2014-08-01 20.06.20.jpg2014-08-01 20.06.09.jpgI apologize now as the Edge tarp is on loan, but I will compare it to mamajamba instead. correct me if wrong but the mamajamba is a superfly without doors. different bottom length(longer) than edge, 2 panel tie outs instead of one
    mamajamba, 11' RL, with spectra guy out cords, 2.2mm zingit ridgeline weighs 1lb.03 oz (warbonnet site has great pictures of edge over mamajamba tarp)
    tadpole, 12' RL, cord pockets at corners, 1 panel pull/side weighs 1lb,2.1 oz
    so same length and type of cordage and hardware (stingerz).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12