Hammock
    ENO DN w/ mods
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tarp Decision Help

Hey there guys and gals
    I'm making my way into the hammock camping world and having a blast getting into it. I am finally starting to get a grasp on everything but am running into a wall in the tarp area. Being in college, part of me wants to get something a little cheaper, such as a Noah or maybe a footprint, but the other half wants to go ahead and make the investment into a nice shelter that will last. As appealing as a Superfly or something similar is, I live in Georgia and I kinda think it may be a little too much, although I may be wrong. I seem to be leaning towards a hex shape but every time I go to purchase something, I start to second guess it. I'm out here right along the AT and really wanna get out there. Any experienced hammockers out there that may be generous enough to bestow some guidance upon a youngin like me?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The Superfly is a good tarp if you want the additional coverage the doors can provide. If you don't want or need the added coverage and weight then the Warbonnet Edge or the Wilderness Logics Tadpole give a good balance of weight, coverage and price.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ mods
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Edge and the Tadpole are both ones i have been looking at, any information as to which may be better? or maybe any other tarps?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The Superfly is still a good tarp for our North Ga weather. Plenty of room for our wet and windy conditions at times and better protection during the cold winter months in your neck of the woods. If you don't have plans for the weekend of Aug 8th we're having a group hang on the Chattooga River. I'd be glad to lend you a tarp to use and you'd be able to see a variety of tarps in action.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ mods
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Man! If i didn't already have plans, I would definitely be there!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Gonna order a superfly next paycheck...prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I own the Edge as my 1st Tarp. Cannot speak to the Tadpole but have never heard anything bad about it. I just stuck with Brandon and WarBonnett because of past customer service. I chose the Edge because of cost, coverage and weight. I was all set to buy the Superfly until I really thought about the last factor of weight. The ultimate light weight tarp are the Cubin Fiber Tarps that do $$$. I would suggest that if you are thinking CF in the future, go with the Edge. If you are looking for one tarp for long term go Superfly. If mainly 3 season go Edge. If definitely doing Winter Hangs go Superfly. The difference in price between the two is not a deal breaker, and also realize that no matter what you purchase, it does maintain some value and can be sold at a later time to help future more expensive purchases. The edge has been great for me to relax, enjoy, learn and try different hanging and guyline techniques. It's the journey that is as much fun as the final outcome!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I cannot speak for any other tarp other than the Kelty Noah. I have one that I use with my Thunderbird. I have enjoyed it and for $60 for the 12x12 I have not seen to many that beat it for the price. I have used it in the cold weather and in the heat of South Carolina. I may go with something else in the future, but for now I am happy with the Kelty Noah 12 X 12. Good luck and hope you find the tarp you are looking for.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    As SCR states, the Kelty 12x12 is a great multi purpose tarp, except IMO for hiking. It weighs a ton. If you are hiking then either an asym or perhaps a Warbonnet edge will get you under 350grams for less than $100

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not an experienced hanger but FWIW I would suggest also keeping an eye out for DIY jobs for sale here on the forum. It'll get you something made in Sil rather than the Noah and usually for a great price.
    Just my $0.02 as a fellow hammock try-er on a budget.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast