WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Well as a counter point, no response from the vendor and then apparent leaking probably seemed like strike one and two so I'm fine with the OP expressing his dissatisfaction.
    I think it's time to relax.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mm53bar View Post
    A bit off topic, but there have been a few comments that the Mamajamba isn't designed to be set up with a continuous ridgeline. Is that true? I don't really understand why that would be the case.

I realize that the continuous ridgeline uses more cord than simply tying up each end separately. But I like that it allows me to center the tarp easily so that's why I use it. I always put the ridgeline above the tarp because of the potential for water wicking that other folks have commented on.

So is there any reason a continuous ridgeline wouldn't work?
    No reason, as long you don't put the tarp over the ridgeline.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    When I got my WB tarps I tried to read which method was the 'best'. I ended up trying all three - the ends only method and full length RL with the tarp either under and over it. My preference (today) is full length with my tarp over the RL.

Some like the end method on WB tarps to allow them to hang at their natural cat cut angle, but you can achieve the same with the full RL by hanging it a bit looser.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    No reason, as long you don't put the tarp over the ridgeline.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Some like the end method on WB tarps to allow them to hang at their natural cat cut angle, but you can achieve the same with the full RL by hanging it a bit looser.
    Sounds good. I'll probably be buying a Mamajamba in winter/spring so I'll play with the options. I hadn't thought about how the side cat cuts might affect the angle. Thanks for that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Onawhym View Post
    Also as far as customer service goes. I have a previous thread asking the audience about seam sealing because I had no response from the warBonnet. Not a big deal though. If that's the way I have to string it then so be it:-) thanks all
    I have not received any emails from you regarding this, most likely you tried contacting us through our "contact us" page... we have had some issues recently with some of those emails not coming through, so we have recently disabled that feature, and now the contact us page simply lists our email address, if you email us directly from your email account we should get it with no problems.

As for your tarp, it does sound like the water was "most likely" running in on the cord itself rather than coming through the seam, I would just suggest using a cord above the tarp or none at all and see if that fixes it, if you find that it leaks in that configuration let me know and i'll check it out myself, that would be covered under warranty.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Your tarp does not need to be sealed.

The bound ridge line works because water can't exert any direct pressure on the seam. Looking at your picture you can see the ridgeline and the ridge seam have created a "trough" between them. You allowed water to pool along the seam, and the water pressure causes the water to push it's way through the seam holes.
    Good eye... this is actually what the problem is i think, the edge binding sheds water "as long as the edge binding is the highest point", if the ridge cord under the tarp is tighter and the tarp's ridge seam is somewhat looser, then the ridge cord could be the highest point because the wind could blow and push the binding/seam off-center (a couple inches down from the peak), that allows water to run down and under the edge of the binding instead of the binding shedding the water like it normally would when the binding is at the peak of the tarp (this is only possible when a cord is under the tarp AND the cord is tight while the ridge seam of the tarp is a good bit looser allowing the binding to move down from the top by a little bit) If you put your ridge cord above the tarp or don't use one at all, the edge binding will always be the highest point and shouldn't ever leak.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    A bit off topic, but there have been a few comments that the Mamajamba isn't designed to be set up with a continuous ridgeline. Is that true? I don't really understand why that would be the case.

I realize that the continuous ridgeline uses more cord than simply tying up each end separately. But I like that it allows me to center the tarp easily so that's why I use it. I always put the ridgeline above the tarp because of the potential for water wicking that other folks have commented on.

I've got a Toxaway which doesn't have the ridgeline material that the BMJ has. For the last couple of years, up until earlier this year, I used a full ridgeline setup with ZingIt where I ran the line under the tarp. I like a tarp pitched high, so this seemed to work best for me and I never had an issue with many enjoyable downpours. I only changed because all that extra line became it bit annoying to keep up with during breakdown and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Well as a counter point, no response from the vendor and then apparent leaking probably seemed like strike one and two so I'm fine with the OP expressing his dissatisfaction.
    I think it's time to relax.
    Relaxing means don't bother me with comments on free speech and beloved vendors, not to mention things that fix themselves. Let's all relax and realize that when a problem arises, this forum is an excellent place to discuss the facts, and if needed, to voice disappointment - but only after fair discussion of the issues involved. Far too many times, I've seen "FYI" threads when they should have been, "hey, I've got a question about why I had this experience" threads. I'm only trying to point that out to the OP and to whomever might need to hear it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm only trying to point that out to the OP and to whomever might need to hear it.
    The prior 2 posts to yours saying he could have handled the OP differently seemed sufficient IMO.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hg Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    woopies
    WarBonnet guy, I believe that is exactly what happen as boston described. I had no issue once hung "correctly" and yes I tried replying via the "contact us" all is well now. Thank you!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Onawhym View Post
    WarBonnet guy, I believe that is exactly what happen as boston described. I had no issue once hung "correctly" and yes I tried replying via the "contact us" all is well now. Thank you!
    and then, "The End."
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast