blackbird
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hg Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    woopies

Mamajamba leak!

While ganging lastnight I had the mamajamba strung over the ridge line in porch mode while watching it rain . To my astonishment I started feeling splashes of water on my face! The tarp was leaking through the sewn ridgline. I was told that didn't need seam sealed:-/ the situation fixed itself after I adjusted and hung the tarp from under the ridgeline. Not happy though, seeing is that I payed good money to have to seem seal the tarp myself. I have 20$ tarps that have never leaked. Just something to think about.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    I would suggest contacting Warbonnet...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Onawhym View Post
    ...The tarp was leaking through the sewn ridgline...
    ...fixed itself after I adjusted and hung the tarp from under the ridgeline...
    So it leaked when the ridgeline was under the tarp, but quit leaking when you moved the ridgeline above the tarp?

Are you sure the problem wasn't water running down the ridgeline rather than the tarp leaking?

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I have so much confidence in Brandon's products I will bet on user error on this one.... You should really stick to his recommendations on hanging his tarps....
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    So it leaked when the ridgeline was under the tarp, but quit leaking when you moved the ridgeline above the tarp?

Are you sure the problem wasn't water running down the ridgeline rather than the tarp leaking?
    That was my first reaction as well. That sloped ridgeline outside the ends of the tarp provides an excellent path for water to follow. Once it reaches a relatively level point (about where a face would be), gravity takes over.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Any time something is in direct contact with SilNylon, there is potential for a leak, especially at seams. This problem is common with tents and tarps. Silnylon stretches and when in contact with something or when it is being pulled. That's why folks often seam seal the tie outs.

As a rule of thumb, when expecting rain, do not hang the tarp over the ridge line, better to do it the other way and suspend from the peak tie outs. For both the reasons described above, a route for the rain to follow and get under the tarp and because it is in direct contact with the tarp and if staked tightly, opens the seams a bit at the stitching.

A $20 tarp that doesn't leak, more than likely doesn't have a seam at the ridge line or is a coated tarp.

If your ridge line seam was recently sealed and did leak, even when hung over the ridge line, it is certainly appropriate to contact the vendor directly and describe what happened.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

This. I thought I had the same issue with my Old Man Winter but I forgot to put a drip line on

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I think he/she is suggesting that since he/she paid good money for the tarp, he/she feels disappointed that he/she would have to seam seal it - not that money was paid to have it sealed and it didn't work.

I'll point out, for reference, that the only tarp maker that I know of that ships tarps with ridge lines already seam sealed is JRB. OES offers it as a add on option for an additional fee. Hammock Gear tarps don't need it as they are bonded cuben.

The way Warbonnet constructs the ridge seam of his tarps results in the seam being wrapped up inside a long piece of grosgrain ribbon - this results in a ridge seam that should not need to be sealed. I guess that there is always a possibility that there could be slight leakage, I suppose.

However I'll agree with the above posters, that the culprit was likely water running down along the ridge line that was strung under the tarp - hence why you ceased to have issues once the tarp was hung under that line and not over it. I personally think the only time I would see any value in running the ridge line under the tarp would be when you're not expecting any precipitation except snow - in which case it might add some extra support should your tarp get weighed down with snow fall. I know that it may seem counter intuitive not to string up a ridge line, and hang the tarp over it for support - but that's just not needed, and allows the possibility of something like this to happen. YMMV.

The manufacturer suggests that you use separate ridge lines to hang his tarps, instead of a continuos ridge line - it allows you to properly tension the grosgrain ribbon ridge better, resulting in a tighter pitch. That's not to say that you can't do it your own way - but doing so introduces another variable that needs to be considered when and if there is an issue.

If possible I'd suggest hanging the tarp in the backyard, either with 2 separate lines or with the tarp hanging under the continuos line, and hitting it with the hose - then check to see if there are any leaks along the ridge. You may just find that there are not - in which case you have your answer. If it does leak, get in touch with Warbonnet, but you'll likely need to think about sealing it. Luckily a tube of seam sealer is only a few dollars.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Odd...it leaked with the RL below but not above, I'm thinking that's your 1st clue that the tarp ain't leaking. As has been aptly pointed out above. Warbonnet tarps are not designed for continuous ridgelines (RL). Check out Brandon's video on tarp setup.

And for crying out loud, if you got a problem with a product go the the vendor 1st, stuff happens, what's important is how the vendor responds when and if there is a problem with their products. Give 'em a chance to respond before attempting to take 'em to the woodshed. Most vendors here are quite responsive and helpful and from my personal experience Brandon is definitely one of those!

Tarp setup video from Warbonnet:

Last edited by dirtwheels; 07-28-2014 at 14:04.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I understand your frustration but I think you need to contact the vendor first to see if some trouble shooting can resolve the issue. It could be user error or it could be a manufacturing defect. Either way you might be able to solve the problem. If that doesn't work, next would be to ask your fellow hangers for opinions. There are many WB tarp users whose input would be helpful. I agree you have a right to be satisfied with a product but starting a thread about a perceived problem without trying to resolve it first is a bit premature.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-28-2014 at 16:02.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast