Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

Question PA > Ohiopyle state park

Anyone ever camped at Ohiopyle State park?

I am planning on riding the GAP and my dad wants to meet me and we are going to stay at Ohiopyle State Park.

anyone know of good sites to hang two hammocks in?
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    43 people viewed but no one has any suggestions?
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    DIY Painters 4mil
    Suspension
    Straps Whoopie MSH
    I viewed it hoping to glean the same information you're looking for...

Your only real option is going to be Kentuck Campground. The closest shelter on the LHHT is across the river from the GAP.

There is a multi-use trail that will take you to the campground from the GAP. If your father is driving he can drive right to your site. From what I recall, Kentuck is heavily wooded and should provide many hanging opportunities. Take a look at the campground map and select a walk-in site (my suggestion for hammocking). I don't know how those folks feel about hammocks in the campground but my guess is that you shouldn't have issues. There is a maximum of 2 tents per site so the same goes for hammocks. Each walk in has a fire ring as well.

Pick a site around the perimeter of the campground so you can keep going further away if you can't find somewhere to hang.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    well picked one of the few sites that was available... we shall see how it goes. I will report back after I complete my GAP ride.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    my mom and i did the gap ride in oct 2013. we didnt stay in ohiopyle though. we actually stayed in confluence. if you can make it there, there are PLENTY of places to hang near the dam. i'm not 100% on their rates though and it's only like 10 miles further. however, i go to ohiopyle pretty often to swim and hike and such and i've noticed, on 3 diff occasions now, that people actually go right down to the shoreline towards the rapids and hang along the trees there. nobody bothered them or said anything either. hope this helps a little.

also, HAVE A BLAST! it's such an amazing trip. my mom and i did the full trip from pgh to dc and loved every moment.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

just to follow up

we booked site 150. you could have put one more hammock in the site without disturbing to much underbrush... It worked.

When we rolled up they had signs up saying that the campground was full! I am glad we booked.

My dad and I both hung for the night. It was farther from the train sounds that I heard in Rockwood but my dad was snoring like a train and I still had to use earplugs.

I did not drive through the campground to look for other spots to hang but it worked out pretty good even if it was a busy campground.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I was biking riding there Sunday but didn't have time to check the campsite. I can't wait to camp there.

How was your trip?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

a brief update

@happycamper. My trip was truly awesome. The weather turned out to be perfect! highs in the mid 70's and at night the lows were in mid 50's. I brought the right gear for the trip. Didn't carry anything that I did not use other than a pair of long underwear that I was going to use if I got too cold. Glad I brought my 45º sleeping bag. I used a jarbridge underquilt. I had plenty of food and was able to stop and get food along the way. I slept in my Blackbird under my superfly for 3 nights. I found that putting up and taking down my hammock really helped me get faster at getting it set up quickly.

I rode my Motobecane Fantom CX (a cyclocross bike) with 700cx30 tires and it did well. I use that bike for commuting and the extra weight did not make ride too differently. Once i got up and rolling it rolled along fine. I just had to be careful with the bike with all the weight on the back it liked to fall over if not propped carefully. I really could feel the weight if I stood up but while seated and pedaling it rolled along fine.

I camped at Husky Haven Campground in Rockwood site 15 i think. They recommended 15, 16, 17 and I have forgotten which one I stayed in. (bring ear plugs, trains are LOUD)

I stayed in Ohiopyle state park and my dad and I hung in site 150. The last night I stayed in Cedar Creek Hiker/ biker campground. While at the Cedar Creek, a guy offered me steak/ potatoes and a cold root beer. perfect way to end my ride. We talked scouting, living history, and bicycling. It was a good night.

It was my first bike tour and it combined biking and camping and good food and that made it just about perfect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast