Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

DIY Hennessey Clone and suspension questions

Hi all,

New here. I just started building a Hennessey clone from the plans on here for an upcoming trip. I'm actually just waiting on some webbing and noseeum to finish it up!

A few quick questions that I hope I could get some guidance on:

For the outrigger points is there a reason to do the triangle of nylon, instead of just attaching webbing directly to the hammock? It seems that unless you manage to calculate and cut the curve where the triangle meets the hammock you are just point loading the outside stitches?

How long should my outrigger bungees typically be?

I hung my hammock with some high test, but "low-strech" poly rope that I can get locally. It's 5mm and rated at 1500lbs. Basically I cow hitched it to the gathered end, and made a loop in the other with a figure 8. My straps are salvaged polyester straps from a ratchet set. They're also rated at 1500lbs. I attached the strap to the rope loop with a figure 9. It seemed fine in principle, but when I sat in the hammock I definitely noticed some stretch. I tried cow hitching the straps right to the hammock, which worked fine, but with the ridge line loop running through the gathered end and looping over the strap the cow hitch was a pain to get untied again. What should I do with minimal cost and shipping times? I'm tempted to go lay in it for a few hours, and just anticipate having to tie it tighter than I think it should be...

I did an adjustable ridgeline with a tautline knot to try and figure out my optimal length. Will the tautline hold? Ive got my tension set using the 45/90 degree hand test, so it cant be that much pressure on the line.

Thanks for listening to my questions. A pic is below. It's nylon salvaged from my shop. We have a ton of it, so it seemed like a cheap and easy test. My math has it at around 1.34oz. It's not ripstop, so I doubled it up. Unfortunately its white, and already showing some dirt. Free is free though!

I did discover the fun of having my rigging slip today when I did something stupid! I guess thats why you test this stuff at home first...

I'm pairing it with a homemade underquilt, a fleece topquilt and 60 degree bag along with a Kelty Noah tarp. Temps on the upcoming trip might hit mid forties, so I'm bring long johns and a fleece. If I get cold I'll have a cheap foam mat, and some space blankets to reinforce. I should be ok at night.

I'm taking it on a canoe trip in a few weeks where I'm helping chaperone 28 freshman college students... It should be a little crazy.

Hammock
    diy 1.6oz HyperD ripstop
    Tarp
    1.9oz ATACS
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Good thing is though, with it being white you should be able to see all the bugs on it. Have fun with the college students.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by babybigfoot13 View Post
    Good thing is though, with it being white you should be able to see all the bugs on it. Have fun with the college students.
    Actually most biting bugs are attracted to dark colors like black and dark blues and browns.

I figured out most of my questions, and got the bugnet sewn in. Off for 11 day with students on Saturday!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So I think that most put the triangles in each end to make it easier to sew the zipper and BugNet onto. No sharp angles...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    So I think that most put the triangles in each end to make it easier to sew the zipper and BugNet onto. No sharp angles...
    Got it. I did have a good time making the bugnet turn those corners. I can see the advantage now. The zippers were easy though, since they were still a straight stitch, and installed before I even had the outrigger webbing in.

• + New Posts