whoopie + biner + atlas straps

Okay folks. I have a question. and I know it's kinda sort in a way redundant.

As you folks know i recently purchased the BG mosquito hammock from REI. It currently uses tubular nylon connected to a biner. This in turn hooks into a metal buckle on the tree slaps. Well i've found that the buckle slips as soon as i'm in it. not bad, but it still slips. So I want to go to a lighter setup.

So my question is:
    Can you hook a biner to whoopie strings and then attach it to atlas straps? or is there a simularly priced set of straps that I should be looking at instead?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    You can.

If you larkshead/girthhitch the Atlas strap to the tree, the loops in the Atlas strap provide enough adjustability (getting close enough to the tree) to allow the use of whoopies with a biner.

Most folks will use a tree strap (one loop), again larksheaded around the tree and then using a toggle, tie a Marlin Spike Hitch and hang the whoopie on the knot, NOT the toggle.

If the object is to go light, Atlas straps are some of the heaviest straps out there.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You won't need both Atlas Straps & Whoopie Slings. The Atlas Straps are for using a carabiner to directly connect to the hammock. If you're going to be using Whoopie Slings you can just use regular tree straps (1 sewn eye per strap) or tree huggers (2 sewn eyes per hugger). Either can had from several of the vendors found here on HF for less than $10. With tree straps you would also need a set of toggles or a set of Dutch Buckles. With tree huggers you would just need a carabiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Most folks will use a tree strap (one loop), again larksheaded around the tree and then using a toggle, tie a Marlin Spike Hitch and hang the whoopie on the knot, NOT the toggle.
    my issue with this stems from the water flow video. it seemed, in the video, that this method provided for more seepage than a biner attachment does.

for clarification, i'm replacing the tublar nylon/biner with the woopie/biner.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arolfsen View Post
    my issue with this stems from the water flow video. it seemed, in the video, that this method provided for more seepage than a biner attachment does.

for clarification, i'm replacing the tublar nylon/biner with the woopie/biner.
    Understand.

And yes, Atlas Strap are intended to be connected directly to hammock suspension, no whoopies needed.

As for the slipping buckle, throwing a bight in there, a backup knot, might solve your issue.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters dbl
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    20* bag / pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I had thought of doing whoopie sling to biner to Atlas strap with my son's setup (I bought Atlas straps before finding this place), but figured that was too much adjustability (if there is such a thing) and confusing for him. Instead, I got some Amsteel continuous loops to replace the channel ropes and put on lighter carabiners.
    Last edited by ChrisP; 07-29-2014 at 14:59.

you got a picture of your setup chris?

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters dbl
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    20* bag / pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    No, I spent a lot of time reading posts in this section and watching youtube videos. I took a lot of advice from here http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/. Like I said, I had bought Atlas straps for my son prior to finding this site, which I found researching the Yukon Outfitters tarp. After reading things here I decided to try using Dutchware cinch buckes and Harbor Freight lashing straps on my hammock.

I'm currently planning a 2-3 day backpacking trip to test my hammock setup. I'll take pictures and report back on my observations.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

How to videos, only as useful as you practice them.

That article by Derek H at the ultimate hang is very good also many videos I will link below.

Now on my soap box a bit for my benefit as much as yours or anyone else. It is worthwhile to not only watch these videos and read articles on multiple suspension systems but also go out to backyard, local parks and actually practice them for the following reasons: If you are like me occasionally a biner will be lost, forgotten, a strap will be damaged, taken by a raccoon or campground hobo, a whoopie sling will be pulled thru after the bead is broken (kids swing it around and hit it on hard things, bury 2" bit of cord in loop instead). So for these and so many more reasons it is good to actually have frequent hands-on experience with other suspension methods and not just be reliant on one. So I am not telling just you what to do, I need to practice this as well, because I have forgotten more hammock stuff than many people who own hammocks will ever learn. Early dementia or something. Joking.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...n-Part-II-cord
    watch parts I and III as well

covered at HF forum on suspensions: is how to make your own Whoopie Sling with Dutch W.S. hook in the adjustable loop (built in) then quick attach to the continuous loop on the gathered end of the hammock. Just one cool idea. Or girth hitch W.S. to hammock semi permanently and then also to strap and leave attached to hammock all the time. Then just pull out, wrap once or twice around the tree depending on how thick or delicate the tree is, connect with biner and you are done. (well once for each tree). Theoretically no parts to loose or forget behind on the tree, and harder for raccoon or campground hobo to carry of while you are off fishing or whatever.

• + New Posts