Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High quality hammocks under $100?

I want to get into hammock camping but I don't want my first purchase to be some cheap hammock that will fall apart in a year. What are some good brands or hammocks under $100 (preferably $50) that will last a long time?

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Recommend you find a group hammock hang in your area to attend ( tenters are welcome or just for the day ) to check out the different hammocks and other accessories.

Just about any hammock you buy can last for years if taken care of and you can get them as low as $20 on Woot. but the question is....will it do what you want.

Questions to ask...

Are you car camping or backpaking....weight can be an issue if backpacking
    Bug or no bugs....if camping in a buggy area you will need a bug net of some type.
    Trap....how much do you plan to spend and what kind of weather do you plan to camp out in
    Insulation...if using a pad then a double layer hammock works best
    and so on and so on.

Watch all of Shug's videos for new hangers, attend a group hang, read the posts on the forum. You have lots of home work to do.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Simply Light Designs or BIAS will put you into a high end hammock with suspension kit, for right around 100.

SLD makes a couple models that will come in just under that, and BIAS will sell you a cloud to sleep on for just a bit over that mark.

A DIY Tableclothfactory hammock will probably work as well and save you a fair amount, but it won't be as light or probably as well made(depending on your own skill level), but will be more than servicable.

Attending a "Hang" will certainly go a long way into sorting things out for sure. You might even be lucky enough to win a rig. People are pretty generous at the raffles and gear trades. You can almost always count on a few HF Vendors participation.
    Signature suspended

Infinity outfitters excursion. Comes with whoopies slings. 45$

I do recommend making your own table cloth hammock because you will learn how the hammock works for pretty cheap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlE...ist=WL&index=8
    However after making a few I bought a few. BIAS and Warbonnet both have hammocks under 100 though a bug net and tarp will be more and insulation will break the bank (start with a sleeping bag). The BIAS and Warbonnet Traveler do not include a bug net but I find my hammocks witout bug nets to be a little more confortable so its not bad to start that way. As of now I think the double layer is worth it (still under 100) because you can put cheap insulation under you.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/promotions/

The best for you will also depend on your weight and height in addition to what gunner said.

And the Wallmart Equip is still on sale for $14 if you don't have any hammocks. Its a good deal for what it is.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equip-Travel-Hammock/34136728 But you will need to change the suspension. The suspension is weird to begin with and the knots were lose.
    Last edited by jbritely; 07-28-2014 at 21:05.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I personally started with an ENO Doublenest from REI during a sale for $40ish if I remember correctly

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Warbonnet Traveler, Eno, and Grand Trunk are in your price range and durable. I don't think spending over $100 on a hammock is going to get you a more durable hammock. You are usually paying more for features like integrated bugnet, lighter weight, etc. I think most of the hammocks on the market are made from pretty similar fabrics, some sort of nylon or polyester.

So, if you're worried about getting a hammock that is "cheap", or might "fall apart", I wouldn't be too worried. I think most gathered-end hammocks in the $40 and up range are going to hold up fine. You may want to upgrade the suspension on some of these, like the eno and grand trunk, but the hammocks themselves will hold up well.
    Last edited by awilder; 07-29-2014 at 00:17.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters dbl
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    20* bag / pad
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Too late on the deal but I got a Yukon Outfitters double and tarp on the last Woot deal. Total shipped was $52. Ordered some continuous loops and cinch buckes from Dutchware for $24 shipped. Got the bright yellow straps from Harbor Freight for $4.28 with tax. Picked up Madrock 32g carabiners from REI for about $12 with tax. All in I'm at $92.28 and the whole thing weighs a bit over 2 lbs. Much less than 1/2 the weight of the tent I was using. I set up the hammock and tarp last night and it looks pretty good. In comparison, my son has roughly the same setup but I had bought Atlas straps for him so his setup is around $105 and weighs more like 3 lbs.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Your requirements besides cost are???

gunner76 made the most important points in comment #2
    Tell us your requirements, I would not recommend any hammock until I knew your specific requirements. Also you approx weight and height but most importantly how light does hammock need to be and are you going to be camping in very cold weather were a bug net is just extra weight and trouble so a hammock with completely removable net may be better. Things like that. Is ultra light minimal suspension important?

Spend most of your money on insulation, possibly 2nd on tarp, then 3rd on hammock unless all you do is car camping in the warmest summer months, which is fine that is a lot of fun, enjoy it.

Here is a chart to help you determine what minimum thickness of nylon fabric will be comfortable for your weight if you are Backpacking significant distances, but if not a thicker, heavier fabric of polyester or other fabric may last longer and be more comfortable. But once again no specific recommendations from me because I have no idea what your requirements are.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Chances are you could buy or make a hammock for about $20 and if you took care of it well you could use it for 5-10 weekends a year for at least 5 years, maybe 10 years. I have a very cheap nylon hammock that is almost 50 years old, a bit of a ancient artifact, I no longer use it. but the bugnet does not even have any holes in it.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Too late on the deal but I got a Yukon Outfitters double and tarp on the last Woot deal. Total shipped was $52. Ordered some continuous loops and cinch buckes from Dutchware for $24 shipped. Got the bright yellow straps from Harbor Freight for $4.28 with tax. Picked up Madrock 32g carabiners from REI for about $12 with tax. All in I'm at $92.28 and the whole thing weighs a bit over 2 lbs. Much less than 1/2 the weight of the tent I was using. I set up the hammock and tarp last night and it looks pretty good. In comparison, my son has roughly the same setup but I had bought Atlas straps for him so his setup is around $105 and weighs more like 3 lbs.
    Let us know how you like it!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast