Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Who knows about the HH Safari?

A year or 2 back, I got hold of a HH Safari No Net. I did a small right up on it then, and had it as a spare up at Neo's Fall TN hang out, and Neo tried it and declared it pretty comfy, the only HH he had ever been able to get comfy in. At least for the 5 minutes or so he was in it, he felt "not too shabby". I did not sleep in it, but rather in my Explorer with Supershelter.

But for some reason, I was never able to get quite comfortable in it. I just couldn't seem to get situated quite right. I was more comfortable in my smaller and lighter Explorer UL. Though the Safari was SUPPOSED to be more comfortable. It made me wonder if the net had something to do with the HH structure and comfort, though this seemed unlikely. This theory kept me from ever altering my HH by removing the net or getting a zipper mod.

So I have never spent more than a few minutes in it, never sleeping in it even once.

I gave it another try today. I don't know what the deal is, but today it seemed great. I hung it both from my Byer hammock stand ( a real challenge height wise- hard to stay off the ground) and attached to my front yard trees, giving the neighbors a reason to call the police to get the homeless guy out of the neighborhood. It was very comfortable either way. Based on a short trial, I am going to put as a tie with my other best hammocks for overall comfort.

First, I could lay on the mid-line with pretty darn good comfort with minimal shoulder squeeze. It caused a slight natural bend in my knees. I think it is better than (and certainly as good as) any of my other gathered end hammocks in this position. I'm pretty sure I could spend the night this way.

On the diagonal, my knees were plenty flat, at least as flat as any gathered end and maybe more, no hyper-extension at all. It was not as flat in the upper body as my bridge, but very close. I think it was this upper body comfort (in the Safari) that I never could get quite right before, but it was just fine today. I don't know what my problem was before. I didn't tie the sides out this time- wonder if that made a dif?

I am going to declare it the hands down best of all gathered end hammocks (in my experience) as far as not having any left calf discomfort from the foot end center ridge, my personal main #1 problem with all gathered end hammocks. The ridge ( and Velcro opening) is there all right, but either this hammock is long or wide enough that my left leg is a good distance from it. I can't necessarily declare it as free of this problem as the JRB Bridge, since I only lounged in it for 30 minutes or less at a time. But it usually only takes me a few minutes ( or less than one minute), to feel that discomfort that requires something under my knees, in my other hammocks. And I never felt it at all today. I could see the ridge quite a few inches left of my leg, but didn't feel it.

Side position was as good as any other gathered end with legs straight, as well as in fetal. It definitely felt like I could sleep comfortably this way.

So, I think I have been missing a comfort contender for #1. It must now be added to my Claytor No Net( really, SURPRISINGLY good!), JRB BMBH, and WB BB for a more or less tie comfort wise. Though each of these hammocks might be more comfortable in one area than the others( ex: zero calf pressure or knee extension on my back in JRB BMBH), I have decided that over all they are pretty close. Especially if you are willing to put something soft under your knees, though not needed in the JRB.

And my HH Explorer UL is just as comfortable as any on your back with something under the knees, though definitely not quite as good on my side as the others, though workable. For me it remains a contender for best when I feel in the mood for using the Super Shelter.

Which brings up keeping warm in the Safari. SS won't work, I don't know if it would be too big for a JRB MWUQ and probably would be for the PeaPod. Maybe the WB torso length UQ would work. A pad in an SPE would probably work as good as possible for a pad in a hammock. No double layer though.

It is definitely a bit heavy for the UL crowd. Even with no net and single layer, just a few oz over 2 lbs. Though that is not really much heavier than my WBBB or JRB BMBH, though they both include dbl layers and a net, and even spreader bars for the JRB. However, the Safari will handle a good bit of weight and is big and roomy both width and length. For the big boys ( or girls) out there.

So, who uses the HH Safari( with net or No Net) and what do you think of it? This is a hammock we really have not heard much about on this forum. I'm betting mainly because of the weight, especially with the net and large tarp it comes with.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My experience mirrors your initial experience with the Safari vs the Explorer. I had the full set up and just never got it quite dialed in. I swapped it for the explorer some time back and have been much more comfortable. One reason I swapped it was to get the super shelter system.

I always felt like I was sliding down into the hammock abyss. It is a huge beastie. I liked it and I was comfortable but I must say I like the explorer better.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My experience mirrors your initial experience with the Safari vs the Explorer. I had the full set up and just never got it quite dialed in. I swapped it for the explorer some time back and have been much more comfortable. .........
    Yep, I wonder what my deal was with that? I certainly had no discomfort today. Wonder what I did dif?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Totally agree - my Safari is the hands down best gathered end hammock.

I can only use it at home though because of the weight.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    A year or 2 back, I got hold of a HH Safari No Net. I did a small right up on it then, and had it as a spare up at Neo's Fall TN hang out, and Neo tried it and declared it pretty comfy, the only HH he had ever been able to get comfy in. At least for the 5 minutes or so he was in it, he felt "not too shabby". I did not sleep in it, but rather in my Explorer with Supershelter.

But for some reason, I was never able to get quite comfortable in it. I just couldn't seem to get situated quite right. I was more comfortable in my smaller and lighter Explorer UL. Though the Safari was SUPPOSED to be more comfortable. It made me wonder if the net had something to do with the HH structure and comfort, though this seemed unlikely. This theory kept me from ever altering my HH by removing the net or getting a zipper mod.

So I have never spent more than a few minutes in it, never sleeping in it even once.

I gave it another try today. I don't know what the deal is, but today it seemed great. I hung it both from my Byer hammock stand ( a real challenge height wise- hard to stay off the ground) and attached to my front yard trees, giving the neighbors a reason to call the police to get the homeless guy out of the neighborhood. It was very comfortable either way. Based on a short trial, I am going to put as a tie with my other best hammocks for overall comfort.

First, I could lay on the mid-line with pretty darn good comfort with minimal shoulder squeeze. It caused a slight natural bend in my knees. I think it is better than (and certainly as good as) any of my other gathered end hammocks in this position. I'm pretty sure I could spend the night this way.

On the diagonal, my knees were plenty flat, at least as flat as any gathered end and maybe more, no hyper-extension at all. It was not as flat in the upper body as my bridge, but very close. I think it was this upper body comfort (in the Safari) that I never could get quite right before, but it was just fine today. I don't know what my problem was before. I didn't tie the sides out this time- wonder if that made a dif?

I am going to declare it the hands down best of all gathered end hammocks (in my experience) as far as not having any left calf discomfort from the foot end center ridge, my personal main #1 problem with all gathered end hammocks. The ridge ( and Velcro opening) is there all right, but either this hammock is long or wide enough that my left leg is a good distance from it. I can't necessarily declare it as free of this problem as the JRB Bridge, since I only lounged in it for 30 minutes or less at a time. But it usually only takes me a few minutes ( or less than one minute), to feel that discomfort that requires something under my knees, in my other hammocks. And I never felt it at all today. I could see the ridge quite a few inches left of my leg, but didn't feel it.

Side position was as good as any other gathered end with legs straight, as well as in fetal. It definitely felt like I could sleep comfortably this way.

So, I think I have been missing a comfort contender for #1. It must now be added to my Claytor No Net( really, SURPRISINGLY good!), JRB BMBH, and WB BB for a more or less tie comfort wise. Though each of these hammocks might be more comfortable in one area than the others( ex: zero calf pressure or knee extension on my back in JRB BMBH), I have decided that over all they are pretty close. Especially if you are willing to put something soft under your knees, though not needed in the JRB.

And my HH Explorer UL is just as comfortable as any on your back with something under the knees, though definitely not quite as good on my side as the others, though workable. For me it remains a contender for best when I feel in the mood for using the Super Shelter.

Which brings up keeping warm in the Safari. SS won't work, I don't know if it would be too big for a JRB MWUQ and probably would be for the PeaPod. Maybe the WB torso length UQ would work. A pad in an SPE would probably work as good as possible for a pad in a hammock. No double layer though.

It is definitely a bit heavy for the UL crowd. Even with no net and single layer, just a few oz over 2 lbs. Though that is not really much heavier than my WBBB or JRB BMBH, though they both include dbl layers and a net, and even spreader bars for the JRB. However, the Safari will handle a good bit of weight and is big and roomy both width and length. For the big boys ( or girls) out there.

So, who uses the HH Safari( with net or No Net) and what do you think of it? This is a hammock we really have not heard much about on this forum. I'm betting mainly because of the weight, especially with the net and large tarp it comes with.
    BB58, et al ,

To answer your musings on the bottom warmth.... The JRB Mt Washington under quilts, 3 or 4, as well as all the standard size family of JRB quilts all fit the HH Safari.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    BB58, et al ,

To answer your musings on the bottom warmth.... The JRB Mt Washington under quilts, 3 or 4, as well as all the standard size family of JRB quilts all fit the HH Safari.

Pan
    All right!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My experience mirrors your initial experience with the Safari vs the Explorer. I had the full set up and just never got it quite dialed in. I swapped it for the explorer some time back and have been much more comfortable. One reason I swapped it was to get the super shelter system.

I always felt like I was sliding down into the hammock abyss. It is a huge beastie. I liked it and I was comfortable but I must say I like the explorer better.
    I definitely had the foot a good bit higher than the head today, and/or more rope on the head end for more sag on that end. So maybe that kept me from sliding down and more comfortable? But I would surely think I knew to do that way back when I first tried it, but maybe i just was careless about that? It's just kind of a mystery to me why it seemed so much better today than on previous attempts.

Images
    Just a confirmation, after further trials, on the comfort factor on this thing. I played around with it again yesterday. I hung from the stand, which is not at all optimal because I have a hard time staying off the ground, ending up only a couple of inches above the stand's center bar. But good enough.

Lot's of comfort, great for side positions, fetal or otherwise. I went to get on my right side, rather than my normal left, and I noticed that- if I wanted- I could get almost 100% side ways. Not diagonal, mind you, but at a right angle to the center line of the hammock, with my head at the left side pull out and my feet/knees well above the right(foot) side pull out. This was actually quite comfortable. Though not needed, as comfort was just fine at the normal diagonal and either fetal or with legs straight. As well as on my back either diagonal or mid-line. Not needed, but impressive any way. I didn't try this sideways position on my left side, but I suspect it would be no problem.

Still a mystery to me why I did not feel as positive on the 1st trial a year or 2 ago. I'm guessing it had something to do with I had the foot end too low, but who knows. Or, it might have been related to the tie outs, maybe but a long shot. I was using it these last few days without pulling the sides out. Just used it like a Speer type or Claytor, top loader style. ( it is a No Net special)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BillyBob - My Safari is extremely comfortable, with or without the bug netting, with or without the tie outs.

As you say, it is possible to get perpendicular to the center line, but even on the diagonal, it is still very comfortable.

It is the only hammock I have ever used that I do not need a pillow. When I have my legs out to the right, on the diagonal, the folds are just right and form a pillow for my head.

I also like when the bug netting is installed, the high ridge line keeps the bug netting way up and out of my way.

If only it didn't weigh so much.

There are only 2 things I don't like about the Safari:

1. weight
    2. blinded - all that fabric coming up the sides on the ends, makes it impossible for me so see much except out over my feet.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    BillyBob - My Safari is extremely comfortable, with or without the bug netting, with or without the tie outs.

As you say, it is possible to get perpendicular to the center line, but even on the diagonal, it is still very comfortable.

It is the only hammock I have ever used that I do not need a pillow. When I have my legs out to the right, on the diagonal, the folds are just right and form a pillow for my head.

I also like when the bug netting is installed, the high ridge line keeps the bug netting way up and out of my way.

If only it didn't weigh so much.

There are only 2 things I don't like about the Safari:

1. weight
    2. blinded - all that fabric coming up the sides on the ends, makes it impossible for me so see much except out over my feet.
    Yes that weight is a negative when counting grams. It would be the heaviest of all my hammocks, but not tremendously heavier than my dbl 1.7 BB or BMBH. At least with no net on the Safari, which is not an option with my WB BB unless I cut it off. ( though I can leave the net off with the JRB BH.)

I have also noticed what you said about not needing a pillow, at least in most positions. But I think I'm pretty much OK without a pillow ( at least on my back) in my WB BB and maybe the Claytor No Net.

If it wasn't for the weight, I might take this hammock on my next trip, whenever that is. I probably won't because of the weight, but I may start using it for car camping. I have been ignoring this hammock for a long time. It is pretty sweet. I remember you declaring it the most comfortable back in the day before bridge hammocks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast