Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images

Callin' Coloradans! Suggestions needed

I'm looking for suggestions for where to backpack/hang in Colorado next month - my wife and I will be in Fort Collins and then in Colorado Springs during much of August. The problem is that my wife's knee is not 100% right now, and so we want to avoid really steep ascents/descents such as Pikes Peak (much as we love the Barr Trail!).

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You could try the Lost Creek Wilderness Area. Lower elevations, but amazing scenery. There is a 28 mile loop or you could do an out and back on the Goose Creek Trail. The loop has a steep part over Hankins Pass/Lake Park area, but Goose Creek is pretty level and very nice scenery. There is an old working area about 9 miles in that is fun to explore. It will be on the left hand side. A long time ago they tried to dam the creek and failed. Last time I was there, they had signage that explained the history of the place.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Thanks much, Syrrka! As it happens, we didn't get to do any backpacking while we were in CO, but I'll keep these in mind for the next trip out.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    CCF & 0* bag
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Strap
    I know this is a bit late, but...
    We did a trip last weekend to Twin Crater Lakes that was ~5.5 miles each way 2500ft elevation gain, but it isn't too bad on the knees (I have somewhat bad knees and can't do a lot of really steep or big stairs) it's a fairly constant rise but the slope is pretty gentle until the very end (last quarter mile, but there are plenty of spots to camp before the big incline). There are a couple of stream crossings on logs or bridges. It's up Poudre Canyon a little ways. We did an overnight and only saw a couple other people and you don't need a permit. You end up at tree line but there are still some pretty good places to hang your hammock. We saw thousands of wild flowers and in one part it looked like a fairy garden because where was moss hanging from the tree branches instead of pine needles and most of the flowers were between 5-6 feet tall.

Hammock
    WBBB / WBRR
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps / WB
    Images
    Also a bit late, but I think I have the perfect spot if you can handle a bit of a drive. Head up to Kenosha Pass, it sits around 10,000' so there is not a lot of real up you can do from there... lots of down to be sure, but if you park on the side that heads to South Park Valley, there is a short (maybe a mile) hike to a great overlook that doesn't have anything steep. You can see the whole valley from there, it's pretty spectacular. Then you can cross the street into the camping area and head up the CO trail. It goes up and down a lot, but you can go pretty far without anything too steep. Lots of great views, trees, and big valley vistas.

Hope you enjoy it! I miss home quite a bit right now, I have been stuck first in CA and now in the sweltering heat of Oahu. I am ready for home and as Shug would say "the piney woods"!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Thanks, folks, for these additional suggestions. It's never too late, as we go back to CO fairly often.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ptarmigan Lake trail out of Buena Vista off Cottonwood Pass road is a nice , pretty easy hike. Scenic with several ponds and lakes and great hanging sites right at the lakes. Good water. Said to be 6.6 miles round trip. The trail keeps going past Ptarmigan if you're out for a multiday hike.

The rest.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Trai...?sort=3&page=1
    Last edited by trailryder42; 09-03-2014 at 19:06.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Thanks much, trailryder. It look's great!

• + New Posts