Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon
    Insulation
    Underquilt

Cool Tree Webbing Mod

I made this mod for my Moskito Kakoon hammock. Hoping to test it out next week. I made a tutorial for it for DIY friends who want to be mindful of the trees that so kindly bear their weight while they sleep. Enjoy, friends!!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Well done video. That webbing will protect the tree better than just the original cord that came with the hammock. However, if you sew a loop into each end of the webbing straps and make two "tree huggers" you can wrap just these around the tree, run one end thru the loop and then use the hook on the end of the rope to hook onto the other loop. Watch the video at Warbonnet Outdoors and also the sticky thread from the Hammock Professor. Your sewing skills will come in very handy for sewing these loops into the ends of your good looking blue webbing straps. Happy hanging in OR.

Edit: WB Brandon aka Warbonnetguy calls "tree huggers" tree straps jump to minute 1:00 of video below but instead of carabiner to Whoopie Sling just hook in the hook on the end of the rope that came with your moskito hammock, some other time buy some Amsteel ($5.50 per 25') and make some Whoopie Slings they are fun and easy to make and use.

Last edited by ntxkayakr; 07-30-2014 at 19:36. Reason: Edit: video and comments

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I really dig that you're trying to find a way to minimize your impact on the trees but I'm not sure just how effective that method will be. I don't think that will distribute the force enough, if any, to reduce damage. All of the force will still be localized where the rope is because of how flexible the webbing is. Does that make sense? Basically because the webbing is flexible the force won't distribute out through it, at least not enough to make a difference. Most everyone just uses webbing in place of the rope so that the force is spread out across all of the webbing. When you test your mod out check to see how tight the outer edges of the webbing are to the tree compared to the middle where the rope is. Try sliding something between the webbing and the tree. Do this with someone in the hammock. Another option that some do (much to the ire of the serious tree huggers) is to put sticks between the rope and tree spaced out so that the rope doesn't contact the tree. The force distributes better because the sticks aren't flexible, although there is still more pressure where the rope is but it's much more spread out.

Thanks for sharing the video and welcome to the forum. Keep trying to innovate, we love that stuff around here!
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    If you decide to follow ntxkayakr's advice make sure your webbing has a high enough strength rating. The way you're using it now the strength doesn't matter, but if you make tree huggers or tree straps then the strength is very important.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

What to look for in Webbing for "tree huggers"

Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    make sure your webbing has a high enough strength rating.
    That is very good advice, most people recommend polyester 1" or wider webbing this chart shows why, it holds up better to sunlight and mildew (mold/fungus etc) and has less stretch.

https://www.strapworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=144

This place sells good webbing straps but...

There are many other good places to buy webbing this vendor is only one of many. If you decide to buy some Amsteel for Whoopie Slings from a vendor that advertises at HF such as www.dutchwaregear.com you can get his webbing straps as well and he ships USPS for a fairly low price. The problem is that you may need to put your more attractive blue webbing straps over the ones from Dutch. This is not necessarily a bad thing, more protection for the trees.

A local boat shop also sells Amsteel and webbing if you prefer to buy local. West Marine perhaps.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on modding your hang.

Although I like the DIY aspect of your mod, IMO, the strap covering may help a little, but the rope inside will still be the predominant factor in contact with the tree. Attaching the cordage to the strap ends and having the strap only contact the tree will give the most surface contact and minimize the damage.

Then you have to increase the strap strength also, so, please keep that in mind.

Keep the tinkering going strong.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito Kakoon
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Hey thanks for all of your input!! I will have a chance to give a good long-term try next weekend, I'll be camping for about 5 days and I'll see how it works out. I will definitely get back to you all and keep tinkering to see what works. Maybe I'll make another video to show the impact on the tree if I remember... I might not though so don't bank on it, haha!! Thanks again!!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    that is the kind of mod that causes people to ban hammocks. It does little to spread the load on the tree but it provides an arguing point when dealing with anyone with a clue. The reaction is often just to ban hammocks.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I thought of doing something similar with straps but also realized that it doesn't spread the stress on the tree as well as regular straps. One thing that might be better is some sort of padding built in so it does spread a little more. Maybe worth an update.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm trying to stay positive, but, I must also agree with NM.

All these mods to straps are ending with just the strap anyway. It may add eye candy to the design, but in the end, that's all it is.

Your adding unneeded weight and bulk to a cord to end up with a strap that most of us experienced hangers already use at a much lighter and less bulky item.

That said, I think anyone should do their own research and tinkering. It may help to study those that came before us, though.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast