DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap

Ridgeline Slipping - Ideas?

I've got Dutch's (Lash-it) CRL with the wasp at the other end. I've noticed the ridgeline slipping down the tree over the course of a hang. I've started adding an extra cleat hitch on the wasp, so I know that isn't my issue.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions on keeping the CRL from slipping down the tree trunk? Tubular webbing? Surgical tubing? Maybe my wasp is too far away from the tree (8")??

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just curious...are you hanging from trees that are small enough to flex inwards when the hammock is weighted, which would release tension on the tarp ridgeline?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    No, definitely big enough trees. When packing up and after disconnecting the tarp from the soft-shackles, there's probably enough slack in the RL to wrap around two fingers. I'm not using any shock cord tensioners either. I've also made sure the wasp is correctly locked in place, to make sure that it traveling towards the tree wasn't cause.

I know I've seen people use bike tube's for hanging on slick poles (inside of an airport). So I'm wondering if something like that might help.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Definitely should not be "enough slack in the RL to wrap around two fingers..." after disconnecting the tarp.
    Was this slack present before attaching the tarp??

Are the two tarp ends so close together ( or pulled apart so tightly) as to make the CRL slack inbetween your two tarp connections?

Hanging anything but the tarp from the tarp's ridgeline?

assuming trees are not leaning away from one another?

what type trees (slippery bark?)?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    No, definitely not there before attaching the tarp, I'll pull RL as tight as possible before attaching the tarp. Using soft shackles/prussics, to attach after the RL is set.

The tarp is pretty heavy in that it has an attached bug net and gear sling. But I'd still say it's under 4lbs for all that; nothing out of the ordinary.
    Pine/Spruce trees. Haven't hung on the Aspens yet.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Interesting that you hang the ridgeline first and attach the tarp second. Most people keep the ridgeline attached to the tarp. I think this approach may be part of the problem because when you're running the ridgeline you have no idea if it's taut enough to support the tarp because you haven't even attached the tarp.

Most people don't use tree straps on their tarp because it's not a weight bearing function. However, since you're using a gear sling off the tarp ridgeline you should probably consider it to avoid damage to the tree. Gear slings are normally supported off the hammock ridgeline, as is the bugnet. The weight of the bugnet and gear sling is probably enough to cause slippage.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did you remember to loop the ridge line on the tail end of the wasp?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Misc ideas you may wish to try

Quote Originally Posted by CopperJL View Post
    Any suggestions on keeping the CRL from slipping down the tree trunk? Tubular webbing? Surgical tubing?
    The Nube is a relatively heavy tarp system. If you had ever used a 1000 denier Cordura canvas tarp in extremely high mtn or costal winds you may have had even more slippage. So try adding more friction to the wrap around the tree trunks, this is fairly basic. I.e. second wrap around or rubber tubing as you suggested. One thing that I have done is use "tree hugger" straps and run the CRL thru the loop instead of around the tree. (i.e. a second "tree hugger" strap not the one the hammock is suspended from.) But basically just experiment around. Every hang is different, many variables are at play this is not an exact science.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Not sure if it will help our not, but I run my ridgeline through two pieces of tubular webbing. Might work instead of rubber....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    It doesn't matter if the the tarp is hung first, last, separate, integral, or not at all. The ridge line is loosening somehow.
    Lash-it won't stretch and a Dutch wasp won't slip if installed correctly. Be sure to include the loop around the lower tail after positioning the wasp and before pulling it tight.http://dutchwaregear.com/images/detailed/0/IMG_2893.jpg

But even if the ridge line is loosening, even the smallest sliver or piece of bark should stop the Lash-it from sliding. Only on the smoothest surface can I see it sliding. I got no answers - guess I'd have to see it.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast