DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps

hammock suspension pros and cons

so the more I play with my whoopee slings and tree straps, the more I like the all in one strap and buckle suspension. last backpacking trip, we avoided some good hang spots due to tree diameter larger than 6'. if I pack extra whoopies I can use straps for tree huggers and dutch buckle my whoopies on for longer distances as well.
    I would like opinions on what people have done. I know someone must have weighed each and used both and swapped back and forth. I would like their opinion.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You could do that but the extra webbing you be much more weight.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It comes down to personal preference. The biggest advantage of whoopies is weight & bulk savings, important for backpackers. All the systems you read about here work. Go to a group hang and tug on various types.

Minimum tree strap length is dictated by you tree size no matter what.

I use 5' long polyester straps (1" wide) with 6' long Dynaglide whoopies. I use a marlin spike to attach whoopies to the straps. I find the whoopies the easiest suspension to adjust, but you will get a lot of opposing opinions.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Pad and SB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just got my first hammock with Whoopies today. Before I was using straps and after playing with my new suspension today I would say go with the Whoopies!!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    I used whoopies for awhile, ended up back with straps and buckles. Works best for me.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Ideas in need of visual aids

Personally I think that if you are trying to go light (i.e. backpacking) you can eliminate the buckles completely (redundant with W.S.). Girth hitch (lark's head hitch) the whoopie sling to your hammock (continuous loop) gathered end etc or use a Dutch hook at this connection on the adjustable loop of the Whoopie Sling. Then girth hitch the locked Brummel loop end of the Whoopie sling to the sewn loop of your "tree hugger" webbing strap. Then use a Dutch-clip or carabiner to connect the far end of the strap around the tree and back to the strap. If a tree is very large (i.e. 6' x 3.14 = 19 foot strap required) then girth hitch an extension strap to it. i.e. 6' strap + 13' strap. OR depending on the tree species if the bark is very thick you may just make some "rabbit runners" out of Amsteel with locked Brummel loops on each end and use these around the tree. Because a tree this large and old most likely has very thick strong bark protecting the cambium. But to be sure put sticks under the cord to distribute the pressure vertically. This is a very controversial choice. NOT my first choice. 15-20' webbing straps are obviously better if you wish to carry those.

http://forestry.about.com/od/treephy...tree_organ.htm

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I use 5' straps, with a Dutchware whoopie larksheaded to one loop, and a Dutchware whoopie hook on the loop of the whoopie.

I see no reason to use any more hardware (like dutch clips or carabiners)...it only takes a second to hitch the whole whoopie though the tree strap once its around the tree, then clip it on to the amsteel loops on my hammock.

Its all one piece, no toggles to lose, the only hardware is super light whoopie hooks.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have straps for my thunderbird in cold weather/winter camping. I like the simplicity and when pulling a pulk, bulk isn't the issue. my darien hammock is currently dutch-ed out with hooks, whoopies , buckle, webbing and such. I like that it packs smaller and is a bit lighter, but don't like having to fiddle with so much to make it "fit" together.(obviously depends on tree distance and sizes as well) . simplicity versus bulk/weight is my argument. my backpack with food and 3 litres of water is about 25lbs for 4 days. last year it would have been 50+lbs. I am a gear junkie , so have lots of options to try, but I trust everyones experience here(ground dweller before the past year myself, large learning curve).

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I use whoopies and 1" webbing. I have several lenths. I usually carry a variety, meaning a 6' and a 8'. I also have a belt sold by dream hammocks that is a belt and its made with 1" webbing and has a cinch buckle of some sort. I have used msh most of the time and just recently got dutch buckles. I am sure they way more then a toggle but they are just so darn yummy. Even when storing them they pack up like a bow tie. I love the fact that they have the little elastic band on them to wrap around the whoopie and keep it in place. Makes set up a bit easier. My whoopies are 6'. I would also check into the possible tree size before the trip. If you need to I bet you could use the whoopies to extend the tree strap. Put the end of the whoopie thru the loop on the strap, then throw it around the tree, back around to the end of the whoopie and msh or buckle. You then could slide the looped end of the strap up the line toward the hammock or even just adjust the whoopie. You may not want to do this every time but in a pinch.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    It comes down to personal preference.
    ditto. I have used them all and the easiest for me to use has been the cinch buckles with straps and a Dutch Clip.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast