Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks

Red River Gorge, Kentucky - August 29th & 30th (maybe 31st)

Hey Everyone -

Just wanted to post a trip that I am planning to Red River Gorge. I will be in Kentucky, from Baton Rouge, on business during the last week of August and plan to end the week by backpacking/hanging in the Red River Gorge. After doing some research it looks like I'll follow a path similar to what was outlined in this thread -

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...g-weekend-hang

I am looking for any recommendations, must see attractions, or partners for this explorations.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.

RedStix

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Someone will chime here as I know several that have spent time there. It's definitely on my bucket list - I just need to get a bucket!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY 5.0 Apex TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY TS/Whoopies
    Are you looking for the big attractions, or high mileage? First I would recommend getting a copy of the outrageGIS maps if you can. They show not only roads, trails, and points of interests, but also the back-country sites (some of which are far better than others).
    Auxier Ridge and courthouse rock give you some great views. There are plenty of ridgeline camping options off the old service road that is closed to cars. The central part of the gorge has nice streams, options on hiking loops, some ridges, and some points of interest, including the impressive Grey's Arch. The East side has Creation Falls and Rock bridge, the only arch spanning water, a short hike from the parking lot. These also can connect to other parts of the gorge if you want to put in some miles. Going North of 715 you might be able to avoid some crowds. Natural Bridge is the big one, and is south of the highway off 11. I believe you can only get there via car or the Sheltowee Trace Trail.
    While you're in the area I would also recommend two restaurants: Miguel's and KRAG. Miguel's is a great pizza shop and rock climber haven that has been here almost 30 years. You can find it on 11 a few miles south of the highway. KRAG is a gourmet hot dog shop, guide service, hostel, and bar (just no alcohol sold on Sundays). KRAG is at the corner of 15 and 715.
    Have a great trip!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I wouldn't say I need high mileage. I think this trip is probably more about seeing the sites, especially since I am not from the area and may not get back there again.

Thanks for the feedback, trail pup. I'll certainly provide a trip report when I return.

RedStix

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    I'd have to throw in a vote for The Rockhouse as a post-hike meal spot. I went there after my last trip. Hiker / Rock climbing themed, casual, and the menu is pure high calorie post-hike goodness. Burgers, burritos etc. Oh, and they have a decent selection of micro-brews

As far as the hiking goes, I documented a trip last November that hit a decent variety of areas, just to give you some ideas:

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Thanks for the recommendation and video, Sintax77. I will have to try that place out.

Also, thanks for your Youtube videos. I've really enjoyed watching your reviews and adventures.

RedStix

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Had to re-read that old post to remember exactly where we went.

That is a good route, and will allow you to see some of the best of the Gorge in an out-and-back hike. If you had a way to hike Auxier Ridge while you were there (you will need to drive to the trailhead) you would not regret that, either.

I'll actually be there that weekend with my daughter, doing her birthday trip.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge &amp; old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Based on what I've read I think Auxier Ridge is going to be on my list.

Great to hear you are spending the weekend with your daughter. I love spending time with my kids in the woods. Maybe we'll cross paths out there.

RedStix

Redstix,

If you're looking for a mixture of arches, rock formations, creeks, and vista overlooks I would recommend a large loop around the grays arch area. You can hit everything in that list all in one day. I really like to stop and take in the view at signature rock. It's a great vista overlook to stop and have some lunch. You can even resupply your water before ascending to signature rock, the creek is less than a mile from the overlook.

I'm not sure how you like to camp but I always like to be near a water source. They are plentiful in the gorge. Just be aware that small particles can easily clog your water filter. Lots of sand in that place. It crazy cool how you can be walking on the top of a ridge and the trail is soft and sandy.

If you want to visit the Indian staircase you can make a loop out of going up and around it then going back out the same section of the Sheltowee Trace back towards your car. The possibilities are numerous. I would definitely make time to see the Indian staircase and the council chamber. The views are breathtaking. You can PM me if you want specifics for trail numbers. Finding the council chamber can be tricky if you've never been there before.

Also the map that shows more detail and back country campsites can be purchased at the Shell Station along with your parking/Back country camping permit.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge &amp; old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Thanks, scoffman. I am starting to get excited about visiting Kentucky! This is going to be fun.

RedStix

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast