DH NightHawk and Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie and Python

Question Dream Hammock questions

My brother in law wants a WBBB. I found the Dream Hammock website. Have some questions. The WBBB's lay is incredible because of the foot box. I steered my brother in law to the DH site as they have the danger bird and thunderbird. My bro thinks that he won't be able to get as flat of a lay in it. The requirement is no Banana'ing. Is that possible w the danger bird ? How does it comparing to the wbbb? (Please no biased opinions) looking for real experience. Also i myself think that the bugnet and weather shield is awesome. ( thought only the Clark's had that feature). Question are both on at the same time or is it like the Wbbb-xl where you have to take one completely off and then zip on the other?

Tks

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    the thunderbird can go convertible, zip on the bug net or zip on the over cover. the dangerbird has both that come from opposite directions I believe.
    I have an 11' thunderbird and darien. the width of the material the hammock is made from affects the diagonal ay which is where you lay straight. i am 6' and 230lbs and lay straight(diagonal) and even side lie stretched out to sleep. my girlfriend is 5'5" I am not allowed to say her weight on penalty of death and she almost turned around one night in her 10' thunderbird. never seen her banana sleep ever form side to back and as I said, almost turned around in it.
    the website should explain all the features to the dangerbird, and if you email Randy(Papasmurf on here) he will get back to you within 24 hrs usually.
    I never tried a blackbird from warbonnet. I hear great things about their hammocks and they were on my list to get, but I wouldn't get out of my dream hammocks now.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    As DeRozea states, the ThunderBird is like the Blackbird XLC in that the bug net & top cover are completely removable and you use one or the other or neither. With the DangerBird the bug net & top cover are permanently attached (one at foot end, one at head end) and you use one or the other or neither. Not both at the same time.

With regard to lay/comfort... I've spent several nights in my Blackbird XLC and the last 2 nights sleeping in my new 11' Thunderbird (just switched to full time hanging). This 6', 150lb. guy has no problem achieving a flat lay in the ThunderBird. And I am at least as comfortable in the ThunderBird as I was when using the XLC.

When purchasing my ThunderBird, what swung me in favor of Dream Hammock over Warbonnet was the choice of fabrics/colors and the customization options available. That and I was able to visit Dream Hammock in person and try a few of their hammocks.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Trail Runner, I'm curious about the width of your hammock. I just got my Thunderbird and just can't get a flat lay. I did get the 10' one which would could have something to do with it. The width of mine is 60" and it think maybe that's just too narrow for a 6'1" guy to lie flat.
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lightning View Post
    Trail Runner, I'm curious about the width of your hammock. I just got my Thunderbird and just can't get a flat lay. I did get the 10' one which would could have something to do with it. The width of mine is 60" and it think maybe that's just too narrow for a 6'1" guy to lie flat.
    My ThunderBird is 62" wide. This is only my 4th hammock, and the widest I've used is the XLC which is 63", but I've found that the length plays a bigger role than the width in getting a flat lay. I hope you figure it out and enjoy your hammock.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    My ThunderBird is 62" wide. This is only my 4th hammock, and the widest I've used is the XLC which is 63", but I've found that the length plays a bigger role than the width in getting a flat lay. I hope you figure it out and enjoy your hammock.
    Good to know...thanks.
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hammocks are like ice cream: they come in many flavors, and everybody has their own favorite flavor... WB makes great hammocks, so does DH. Some people prefer WB, others DH. The only way to tell to which group you (or your brother in law) belongs to is by trying out both hammocks. If you can't, have a look at the features and pick the one with the features that matter most to you.

I have both the WBBB (not XLC) and the DH DangerBird. Both are great hammocks. But for some reason, I find it difficult to find a good position in the DB. The BB on the other hand seems like it was made for me - of all the hammocks I tried it feels easily the best. But that's just *me*. I also love the shelf. And although I'm a very cold sleeper, I hardly ever have need for an overcover when doing 3-season camping. I do have the WB Travel Sock, which is great for cold weather camping. I also find it much easier to vent. And I can have the mosquito netting closed while venting the sock. That was a problem with my DB: it quickly got muggy, and when I opened the zipper, some hardy mosquitoes found their way in and kept me awake. So for my needs, the sock is the better solution.

If your brother in law wants a WBBB, let him get one. If he finds he doesn't like it, it will be a quick and easy sell on the forum with little to no loss. I actually think that DH is not necessarily a beginner hammock, but a hammock for more experienced people, because it offers so many custom features. You will get the most for your money if you already know (or at least have an idea of) what you want.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Carolina Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I have a 11' 60" wide Dangerbird. I'm 6'1 165lbs..I have no problem gettin a flat lay but would not go any smaller and if I were any bigger would want a wider hammock..which is obtainable by choosing a different fabric. As stated in the danger bird the net and over cover zip from opposite ends and stay attached, on the thunderbird they are detachable. I wish the vent option was available when I ordered. This is a net opening in the overcover. No bugs get in yet you can retain a little more heat..Papasmurf is second to none on customer service..

• + New Posts