Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    I regularly go down to 28F. That is with SS and over cover, 20 degree bag, and down hat. Adding a warmer bag and placing a light sleeping bag under pad should get you to 20.

Hammock
    Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight
    Tarp
    Backpacker Rainfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessey
    This has been 7 pages of fantastic advice for me. As a new hammock camper I'm still in the beginning stages of getting my hammock rig correct!

I get that if I go without a space blanket with the HHSS I'm hamstringing the super shelter and probably setting myself up to get wet on top of it all.

But... this past weekend my cousin unfolded his space blanket to put in his tarp, and promptly tore it down the middle. And believe me, he wasn't being rough with it. So I'm nervous about having an essential piece of the puzzle be so fragile.

3 questions:

1) Is the SOL emergency blanket something that will stand up to repeated use? I don't need it to last year to year, but I'd like it to last a handful of nights, at least, and not be likely to break and leave me out of luck...

2) Are there alternatives to the space blanket? Something I could sew onto, or otherwise attach directly to the foam pad that comes with the Super Shelter? I've seen some heat reflecting cloths out there, but that probably wouldn't be enough of a vapor barrier...

3) What about heat reflective thermals (under armor or some other) replacing the heat reflective property of a space blanket, and a plastic sheet attached to the foam pad to replace the vapor barrier property of a space blanket?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Backpacker
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/hooks
    I have a new super shelter I received 10/5. Their site did not state, but it included a standard space blanket. I have 6 nights in it down to 27f. I leave the hammock and super shelter assembled and stuff in my pack as a unit. It is a little noisy when you first get in but not annoyingly so. Not much of a longevity test but gives you a starting point.

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    I've used the SOL emergency blankets (1 for a spare) for about 3 years. Not as noisy as others and certainly more durable.
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolman View Post
    I used it on my HH for a few years, good in cool weather but here in Canada when the temps dips below -10 extra insulation is required. The fit on the over cover does not work well on windy nights.

Being a regular winter camper I found an OQ/UQ combo to work much better.
    Found a little trick to help the OC fit better. I find that the ring on which the side pullouts attach is always pulled through the undercover and overcover holes. As a result, my feet push the two layers apart and expose them to the cold air rushing in through the mosquito net. To combat this, I simply found a small stick and inserted it through the little black plastic ring to keep the OC and UC layer on the outside. This prevented them from coming apart and kept my toesies toasty.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567