Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Std. HH Asym
    Insulation
    Living in FL./HHSS
    Suspension
    Stock HH - for now
    Hadn't thought about the flexibility of it, just that it would lessen the number of pieces I'd need to carry. Thanks for the input.

If you're looking to swap out the pad check out Gossamer Gear. They sell an ensofoam pad that should do the trick.

Great info here on the SS! I had mine out last weekend down to 29 degrees (first time using). It felt like it was near the limit for me. I also have the HH double radiant pad. Has anyone tried using it in place of the SB? Going out this weekend and it is supposed to be 5-10 degrees colder, would like to gain a little more warmth.

Got out again this weekend - it got down to 26 degrees. I tried the double radiant bubble pad over the regular pad in side undercover, didn't seem much different from just using the space blanket. I think my issue maybe with my sleeping bag. It is a 20 degree bag and I think a lower rated bag would allow me to get to 20 degrees comfortably as my backside was not cold (not warm either). Love experimenting. Let you know what I figure out.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jburke8305 View Post
    Got out again this weekend - it got down to 26 degrees. I tried the double radiant bubble pad over the regular pad in side undercover, didn't seem much different from just using the space blanket. I think my issue maybe with my sleeping bag. It is a 20 degree bag and I think a lower rated bag would allow me to get to 20 degrees comfortably as my backside was not cold (not warm either). Love experimenting. Let you know what I figure out.
    I used my SS extensively when I lived in MN. Warmer bag is not the lightest option - it will compress beneath you. I often wore fleece pullover and/or pants in cold conditions as fleece does not compress as much. Using it for clothing will keep you warm in camp and in your hammock.

Another options is to put a down jacket in between the underpad and UC so it does not compress. Again, the jacket will keep you warm in camp, then stuff it into the undercover when you turn in.

The extreme end of the SS range is shown in this video Shug did of our trip 6 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnoo4BPe2eo

There's also some good tips in my BGT review from 7 years ago:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

Good luck!

Thanks for the video link! Minus 26 - Whoooooo buddy! So your set up for that trip was closed cell foam mat, sleeping bag, pad, space blanket. That makes a lot of sense to me. What did you have in the hammock? A quilt or another bag? Thinking of what is available today, would a gossamer gear thinlight closed cell foam pad be a good option.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the video link! Minus 26 - Whoooooo buddy! So your set up for that trip was closed cell foam mat, sleeping bag, pad, space blanket. That makes a lot of sense to me. What did you have in the hammock? A quilt or another bag? Thinking of what is available today, would a gossamer gear thinlight closed cell foam pad be a good option.
    I threw every bit of insulation I had to survive at that temp - in the UC I had a 2nd sleeping bag, heavy synthetic insulated jacket, etc.
    In the hammock I used a 0F synthetic bag with a fleece liner + fleece pants and jacket.

The GG CCF pad is OK. Read my multimat review for my experiences with a similar pad:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...0Kurt%20Papke/

Images
    JBurke,
    like Kurt says, it is easy to add whatever below the pad. If you are at least almost warm enough at 26F- and sounds like you are and if you are that's hard to beat for the weight and price considering you have the equivalent of a wind/water proof UQ protector- consider adding even just a zipped up(for double layer)fleece jacket under your pad and space blanket. Or really, just whatever you have handy that you don't need to sleep in. Even a light fleece jacket will add a very noticeable boost.

But if you are not warm enough on top, then adding below won't do much good. (even though it is amazing how little I can get by with on top if I have plenty on the bottom). Are you using your bag as a quilt are zipping up inside it? Do you have plenty of insulation for your head?

HHSS's really are good gear IMO!

BillyBob58 thanks for the comments. I'm am using the bag as a quilt - I found trying to get zipped in a real nightmare. I wear a down beanie. One comment that has stuck out is about what to wear to sleep in. I think by changing into sleep specific gear (heavier long johns and top with a polar fleece pullover... Or something like that) it would help. Have you ever used the double radiant pad with the HHSS? I not a big fan of it (bulky), but it didn't seem to add much. I suspect it has to do with needing true insulation and not a second vapor barrier. But I agree, the HHSS is really good gear, especially for the weight and size.

Hammock
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    But I agree, the HHSS is really good gear, especially for the weight and size.
    I am big into gear robustness, i.e. its ability to continue to function under adverse conditions. The other thing I still like about the HHSS is its performance in wet weather. I've had an UC for about a year now, and I still am nervous about using it in rain. The HHSS OTOH will actually improve the performance of your HH in the rain, as it provides that extra protection beneath, something that is very important if you are using a stock tarp. In the unlikely event the foam pad does get wet, it dries very quickly, unlike a down underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast