DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Mid-Atlantic top quilt in Colorado

Planning a trip to Colorado high country in June, it occurred to me I needed a top quilt to stay warm in the mountains. I was clicking through the forum here and saw a mention of Mid Atlantic Mountain Works, makers of what looked like a very nice quilt.

I contacted Jared there to see if there was any chance he could make one for me before I left in just a couple weeks. He got right back to me and let me know that although he had a quilt ahead of me, that person was willing to wait and he could deliver in time for my trip. (THanks whoever that was!). I put in an order for a Seneca 35 in green and charcoal. It arrived just as promised. At first I couldn't figure out what was in the tiny little box that came via US mail. Unreal how small these things pack down.

The trip started with three days of mountain biking at Buffalo Creek trail system southwest of Denver. We were camping at around 7,500 feet and temps were in the low 40s. I crawled under the Seneca and immediately felt warm. It actually felt like there were little heaters inside that thing. I toss and turn a lot but the quilt stayed put. I ordered mine with a half taper, the options include no taper and full taper as well. It fit me perfectly. I had more than enough quilt to tuck under me to keep my sides warm. After three days we headed to Mt. Evans for an "assault" on the 14er. There were no camp sites left due to a bike race that weekend. Undaunted, we loaded up our packs and headed up the Rest House Meadow Trail. We found a nice flat spot off the side of an otherwise near vertical trail. As we set up camp, I realized I forgot the little ziplock bag where I keep my tree straps. Panic time, but I improvised. I put the hammock on the ground for a ground cloth, put my Thermarest on top, added a sleeping bag and crawled under the top quilt. I hung my tarp low to the ground so it acted like a tent. At 11,000 feet, there weren't any bugs.

So glad to add this top quilt to my gear. The workmanship is exquisite, and it has all kinds of adjustments to get it just right. I wish Jared would add bottom quilts to the mix as I am now in the market for one of these. Here's a few pics:

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Thanks for the quilt and trip report. I placed an order for a half-taper Seneca 35 earlier this week. I went with Mid-Atlantic because I was impressed with the craftsmanship and quality, and Jared was very friendly and straightforward. Glad to hear that you think highly of the quilt after some use in the field.

Hammock
    Snipe/Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ / HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch and Whoopies
    NICE....
    Cool report.
    I WISH he would add UQ's
    Love my quilt too....besides my HG UQ... my TQ is my prize piece of kit.
    That color is really nice as well.

Said it before and Ill say it again....nicest experience i ever had giving someone my money, was dealing with him and getting my quilt.

Jared's the Man as far as im concerned.
    Last edited by ADKrella; 08-03-2014 at 00:13.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't think I emphasized enough the quality of this quilt. Exquisite is the word that comes to mind. Pure class. I'm pretty much a snob when it comes to coffee, beer and gear, and this one fits well with my tastes :-)

BTW, this was the first western trip for my son (the tall one) and his buddy. Last Christmas I bought him a nice Gregory Baltoro pack and promised to take him packing this summer. We had a great time. He and his brother have nice Warbonnet Blackbird hammocks with Yeti under quilts. I could have hogged the nice stuff but let his buddy use it while I went with my homemade rig. Going to need an upgrade, my hammock just doesn't lay right. Of well, that which doesn't kill us...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Glad you had such an awesome time out in Colorado. Looks like you had to have quite the improvisation with the hammock and going to ground. Nice work! Did your son love it out there or what? Being an east coaster, the times I have made it out to some of the western states, the landscape simply blows my mind. Looks like you guys had a terrific time.

Thanks a ton for your kind words regarding the quilt. I am really glad it worked out for you. I too love good beer and coffee, so if my quilt made the cut along those lines, I am a happy camper!

“dougr” here on the forums kindly agreed to let you go ahead which I think was pretty stellar of him! Love the community here! BTW, keep an eye out on the blog and website, dougr’s quilt just finished up. It was a bit of a custom job and turned out to be something special so I will be posting pics soon.

Gravity, thanks so much for your order...I'm really glad you are looking forward to your quilt. Hoping to have it on the table soon.

Rella, can’t thank you enough for your support and I am super glad you are still loving that quilt!

Thanks everyone!
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

I was going to wait until I received my quilt before I posted but I guess I'll jump in now. I am eagerly awaiting a Loft Mountain 0 that Jared worked with me on. Can't say enough about the purchasing experience and overall customer service thus far. Great guy to do business with and communication with him has been great. Once I get the quilt in my grubby little hands I will post my thoughts on it here.

Big Jim, it was my pleasure to move aside. I always say I like to treat others how I like to be treated. I am glad you were able to get your quilt in time.

Huge thanks again to Jared.

Got the shipping notice this morning. Now the waiting game begins.............

Doug

• + New Posts