Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Hangar 11
    Insulation
    UQ Zeppelin 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie+Dutch Clip
    Just got back from Kings Canyon last week. Spent 5 days on the Rae Lakes Loop trail, and have a couple tips.

You have to use a bear canister on the trails up there. You can rent Bearikades from the Roads End ranger station (maybe others) and those only weigh 1 pound. It rained on us for 2 days while we were up there, and we were very happy to have brought rain jackets.

On the Rae Lakes loop we were allowed to have fires below 10k feet. Most areas had lots of downed wood, and fire rings at suitable sites.

Trees below 9k or so looked great for hanging, but once we hit 9k+ it started to be mostly sequoias. You definitely need 12ft straps if you want to hang on those. On top of that a lot of the trees looked like they had plenty of widowmakers, so make sure to look up!

Heavy
    How were the bugs for you?

I see a lot of people wearing long sleeve in photos - is that for sun protection? Is it that bad?

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Aside from all the great tips Aaron passed along, the sun is usually strong in the afternoon and this has been a really hot, dry summer. The bugs have been light and even when they are bad it's nothing like the AT has. I use 7' tree straps but avoid the really big trees. Not many carry 35' straps so hanging in the bigger sequoias won't happen. Bear canisters are required in most all areas and although they do rent them at the Roads End station, there is always the chance they might have rented out their supply. I love that program Aaron has. All of our longer treks have been planned using it but I still recommend getting out the map and getting a mental feel for the area before heading out.

Have fun and be safe.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Hangar 11
    Insulation
    UQ Zeppelin 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie+Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    How were the bugs for you?

I see a lot of people wearing long sleeve in photos - is that for sun protection? Is it that bad?
    Bugs weren't that bad except in the early morning near stagnant water. The most it would ever be was 3-4 mosquitoes on attack or a small swarm of gnats trying to find a home in your nose. If you keep moving, they are never more then a minor nuisance.

I prefer to wear long sleeves for the sun protection. I decided to wear shorts for about an hour with fishing and my legs are still red a week later.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    National Forest - Not NPS - requires a fire permit. The online permit is on the NFS website. In National Parks, your wilderness permit is also your fire permit. If your trip goes through Jennie Lake Wilderness and you intend to spend the night there, get the permit from NFS website. The NP permit covers you the rest of the time.

I would like to state that even if they are allowed, really think twice about having a fire at all - this is the third year of a drought and some truly hideous fires have been happening, all caused by campfires.

DO NOT TRY TO HANG FROM Sequoias - they have a very shallow root base and the park will not like you damaging one AT ALL. I daresay that would be a shoo-in for a hefty fine. The state parks with redwoods in them prohibit hammock hanging completely - don't go there in Sequoia NP, keep us off their radar! Hang from the firs and pines.

If you go anywhere above treeline, around 10,000 feet, be prepared to go to ground.

Be aware that Sugarloaf is exposed sand - it was truly hot hiking for us when we were on the way to Deadman.

As for fire restrictions - there are elevation prohibitions and area prohibitions. The alcohol stoves are fine within the parks - this was established by some very persistent backpackers on a different forum who emailed and called until someone in the bureaucracy got back to them. The Sierra National Forest, on the other hand, does not allow them during a fire ban.

Heavy
    Thanks for the info on the fire permits in the forest areas. I took the quiz and printed out the permit, but have a couple questions....

I have the permit, but there is no way I'm carrying a shovel with me. Does anyone know if a little trowel would count?
    I don't even carry one of those usually but if I had to, I suppose I could.

I don't see alcohol stoves listed as a "campfire" - do I need a permit for that?
    I'll google a bit too, but thought I would ask here since there seems to be a wealth of actual experience in the area.

I basically use my alcohol stove for boiling water for 1 meal a day - would really like to not need permits and a shovel.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You need the permit whether you build a fire or use a stove - you need it for any stove. A trowel is fine. As I said, if you stay in the parks, the wilderness permit covers you for the fire permit - the national forest designated wilderness areas require the campfire permit from NFS.

Alcohol stoves are one of those things people have struggled with in the past - see my last paragraph above. You shouldn't have a problem with one in the national parks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12