Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Sounds great! This will actually be my first group hang. I was going to do the one in Sipsey but they wound up putting it on a weekend I couldn't go. I am looking forward to it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    We had dinner tonight with some old friends and asked him if he knew about the Homochitto National Forest Clear Springs Trail complex since I knew he was somewhere down in that area. Turns out he lives only about 30-40 minutes away in Liberty, Ms. He had a lot of really good things to say about the campground, which got me excited about the trip down there. He said something about the low hum of a oil rig in the woods that would help us to fall asleep?? I invited him to come along (even though he is a ground dweller) but he is out of town that weekend.

Looking forward to the trip!!

Images
    READ IMMEDIATELY!! MAJOR UPDATE!!

I was contacted by the USDA Forest Service Homichitto Ranger District office late yesterday and told I do not in fact have the group site reserved. Turns out due to a clerical error another group had reserved it prior to my contacting them and it was not noted. They were there before me so they have the site for the weekend we wanted to come.

We have a couple choices. Please look at this and let me know what the group wishes to do.

Option A: Leave the date the same. We can use the primitive area sites (which are only $7 per night) and make the best of that area we can. There is not water source or power in that area (hence primitive). I have no knowledge or photos available of this area. Anyone who knows anything about that particular portion of the Clear Springs Lake facility needs to chime in.

Option B: The weekend prior and the weekend after our planned dates are currently available. Change the date of the hang to November 7 - 9 or November 21 - 23 and proceed as planned at the group site with all its amenities.

Option X: Show up on the planned date and beat the snot out of 30 or so Methodists who have the group site reserved and take over. This is said completely in jest. I love my Methodist brothers and sisters greatly. Just can't believe the Feds have found a way to make my life a living &^$& yet once more. No need to derail with diatribes about government bureaucracy or waste. Just trying to laugh it off....trying really hard....really hard.

Let me know where this needs to go. Gonna get us there or die trying. Again, group majority rules.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Primitive area is fine with me. If we change the date, I probably won't be able to make it.

Images
    I gotta say, I'm all for keeping everything as it is. I managed to speak to the camp host today and he is going to send me photos of that part of the complex but he tells me the sites are pretty close together and they is a large fire pit with a cooking grate on it. I think we are going to be in good shape. I'll have to get a little creative on cooking the More Pork Than Beans but that ain't no hill for a stepper.

Still may have to sneak down to the group site in the middle of Friday and Saturday night and make Sasquatch noises for the Methodists just for meanness.

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I stayed in the primitive area back in the spring. It's not bad, the fire pits each have a flip up grate to cook on and there are trash receptacles on the way in. No lake view, but the gullies are quite tremendous. The sites are fairly spaced, but there is one that the bike trail practically runs through. There are trees for a good 2-3 hammocks at each site, though I would recommend bringing some extra strap as a few of the trees are either spaced a bit or are of a "healthy" diameter. It is located near richardson creek, which should make for some beautiful scenery this time of year as it is in quite a deep gully itself. I don't see a problem with using the primitive area at all, just remember the showers and restrooms are a mile down the road. If you can't bear to use a bush, you better plan ahead.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I say we beat up the Methodists!

But if that is not an option, I am open for primitive or changing to the previous weekend. The one after wouldn't work for me.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I vote for the primitive camping on that same weekend. It will just be more like real camping, right? I am flexible and resilient, if nothing else.

They shouldn't charge us anything for their scheduling foul-up though. I'm just sayin'.

Hey, I just realized that the Methodists might sing Kumbaya around their campfire.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
    I am flexible and resilient, if nothing else.
    Give that man a cigar..... Love the attitude and like the vote as well.

Images
    Roughly three weeks and counting down to this group hang friends. Hope you're getting excited if not getting ready.

I think it was, based on responses, pretty much a general unanimous vote to go with the primitive area. That being said, I'll pack extra water for those who may need it. Firewood will be a must and don't forget about the group meal on Saturday night.

This will be a fair start for future MS hangs. Hoping in the future we will grow and be able to offer drawing opportunities and door prizes, and perhaps, dare we hope, a little cottage/corporate sponsorship. Whatever we are and whatever it becomes, the main point is to get good people together in the beautiful outdoors and celebrate on some small level the joy that is hammocks and hammock camping.

See you soon friends. Looking forward to it all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast