Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    If I remember correctly, at the end of the road in the primitive area there are 3 or 4 separate sites that sort of mold together into one large de facto group site. Might be worth checking out upon arrival.

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    There are three, but they are a bit isolated from the rest. I was going to try to snag those so we could save a more central location for the group stuff. I have at least a group of five that I'd like to keep together.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was down in that area today doing my inspections and shot a few photos that everyone can use as reference to get to the site.

From Highway 84/98 watch for Homochitto Nat'l Forest sign for Clear Springs Recreation area. Drive south on that paved road, following the double yellow line for about 3 miles until you see this sign. IMG_2207.jpg Drive a half mile past it until you see a dirt road just before a new guardrail on the right side of the road. IMG_2204.jpg Turn right on the road IMG_2203.jpg and drive back to the end of the road. IMG_2200.jpg There are good hanging sized trees (pines and hardwoods) everywhere suitably spaced and no underbrush to deal with.IMG_2205.jpg..IMG_2199.jpg Each site is marked with a numbered post and has a grill. IMG_2198.jpg There are many places to hang a hammock all through this campground.

It looks like a winner for our elevated perspective purposes. See you shiny happy people down there!
    Last edited by SouthernExposure; 10-30-2014 at 17:20.

Images
    Well now. As us Baptist are apt to say, if that don't get your fire going, your wood 's wet. Thanks SouthernExposure. I wanted to jump through the screen into those photos and hang my hammock right then and there.

Fun, fun, fun. Even more excited now than before.

Hammock
    SMr 'Led Zeppelin'
    Tarp
    blue tarp
    Insulation
    Suisse Bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel Woopies
    Hello everyone,

I will say that I'd love to come to this group hang, although I have a few reservations:

1. I lack much to keep warm, especially hammock things like UQ, TQ. Rather, I have a light comforter for a twin bed :|
    2. What food ought I bring? or how can I help and provide for others? I would love to contribute, although because I've not done anything like this before, I would need to be told very specifically what to do/bring.
    3. Time. I will only be able to stay Friday through Saturday, spending one night. This is probably the least of my concerns.

But if anyone can assuage my hesitations then I will be glad. Help me help you!
    "Yeah, that'll sink like a Led Zeppelin"

Kirk

Images
    Brother, worry not, fret not. Bring yourself and what you have and the rest will be taken care of. You will not want for warmth, food or fellowship. Sincerely, you will be taken care of. There is enough extra gear in Squidbilly's and my gear stash alone to outfit Sherman's march to the sea. Trust me, you're good. Hesitations assuaged.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Kirk....what DaddyDaddy said. It's car camping. I usually bring a complete extra set-up, just in case someone else shows up or somebody forgets something. Just be there...and bring a camp chair for hanging out around the fire.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Yes, I am a little worried like "KirkHangsley". Since I am relatively new to hammocking, I have a TQ but no UQ. I usually use a pad and windshield screen but I am interested to see how cold it gets because that set up is usually only good to about 40 degrees at best. Plus, my son is pretty much in the same boat.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    Yes, I am a little worried like "KirkHangsley". Since I am relatively new to hammocking, I have a TQ but no UQ. I usually use a pad and windshield screen but I am interested to see how cold it gets because that set up is usually only good to about 40 degrees at best. Plus, my son is pretty much in the same boat.
    Even if all of us attend, ( myself and two sons) I will still have two extra underquilts rated to at least 20deg. and 3 extra topquilts. Some are DIY, some HG Phoenix and JRB winter TQs.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Placing closed cell pads under your sleeping bag can get you a warmer sleep down to a certain temperature level. It should get down into the mid 30's this Friday and that should help in proofing your insulation in your back yard. You can always bail out back into your house if it truly gets too cold to tolerate. Also remember the warming trick of filling a Nalgene bottle with very hot water, drop it in a wool sock and place it next to your femoral artery on the inside of your thighs at your groin. It will provide steady heat to your blood system and won't get any cooler than 98.6 degrees. You might also consider chemical heating packs, sleeping in layers including a sweat suit, wool cap and socks, and closing off your hammock with a low-staked tarp. There are a number of ways to keep the cold at bay, but a good under quilt is designed to directly address this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast