Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin

Pacific Northwest coast foggy and rainy: Down Fill (water resist) VS synthetic.

I am brand spankin new to hammock camping (always had a mayan weave one for day lounging and after the last weekend out of laying uncomfortably in the tent thinking, "I wish I could just sleep in my hammock" I ordered a WBBB.) I am very new, and just learning about everything -- so be gentle

I am looking at getting either the HG Incubator 20*, UGQ Zepplin 20* or the KAQ New River (25*). Price isn't really a factor (I mean it always is, but I'm considering this an investment and want to get the one that will suit me best for the conditions I normally camp in, and from what everyone on here says, all these vendors seem to offer exceptionally high quality)

Almost all of my camping is done (May-October) on the Coast of BC, Washington and Oregon and I tend to set up somewhere for about 2-3 days before moving on. As you know, you can go days with wet, wet, wet conditions. I'm not worried about direct rain exposure, etc (i will have a WB superbly) and I tend to be pretty careful with my gear (dry packs, etc), but a lot of the time it's cold, damp temperate rainforest conditions.

I have always used synthetic sleeping bags and stayed away from down more out of fear than any bad experience. (although I have had friends with some pretty heavy bags after a few days) I love the weight and compressibility of the down, but am wondering about the moisture issue with down (even if it's the water resist treated) when it comes to fog, rain moisture and generally high humidity.

Does anyone have any anecdotal stories of using water-resist down in the PNW? What do you west coaster people use?

SIDE NOTE: This forum has to have some of the most polite users on it! I love reading through all the discussions and even if there is disagreement there is so much respect on here. It must be because you have all had a good night's sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergulles View Post
    I am brand spankin new to hammock camping (always had a mayan weave one for day lounging and after the last weekend out of laying uncomfortably in the tent thinking, "I wish I could just sleep in my hammock" I ordered a WBBB.) I am very new, and just learning about everything -- so be gentle

I am looking at getting either the HG Incubator 20*, UGQ Zepplin 20* or the KAQ New River (25*). Price isn't really a factor (I mean it always is, but I'm considering this an investment and want to get the one that will suit me best for the conditions I normally camp in, and from what everyone on here says, all these vendors seem to offer exceptionally high quality)

Almost all of my camping is done (May-October) on the Coast of BC, Washington and Oregon and I tend to set up somewhere for about 2-3 days before moving on. As you know, you can go days with wet, wet, wet conditions. I'm not worried about direct rain exposure, etc (i will have a WB superbly) and I tend to be pretty careful with my gear (dry packs, etc), but a lot of the time it's cold, damp temperate rainforest conditions.

I have always used synthetic sleeping bags and stayed away from down more out of fear than any bad experience. (although I have had friends with some pretty heavy bags after a few days) I love the weight and compressibility of the down, but am wondering about the moisture issue with down (even if it's the water resist treated) when it comes to fog, rain moisture and generally high humidity.

Does anyone have any anecdotal stories of using water-resist down in the PNW? What do you west coaster people use?

SIDE NOTE: This forum has to have some of the most polite users on it! I love reading through all the discussions and even if there is disagreement there is so much respect on here. It must be because you have all had a good night's sleep?
    I dont have any experience with WRT down but if I were in the PNW I would build an UQ and TQ out of Momentum 55 or the like and Climasheild Apex.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Many years of camping in the PNW. Synthetics have saved my butt many times. That said, I love my down bags for winter but tend not to use them unless in the teens or colder. YMMV
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Images
    I've got an underquilt protector that really helps with fog and hard hitting rains, although it won't be a perfect solution, but it goes a long way in helping. I'd wonder if a sort of bed sheet made from some sil or cuben to lay ontop of the quilt would help, although you have to sleep in a vapor barrier bag liner for it to work, unless the sheet was breathable, and used like the uqp. I use a small piece of a thin wool blanket to lay on top of my tq while I sleep in the winter to help keep frost off my quilt, and so I can sleep easily without all of that moisture building up when I breathe.
    I've dealt with fog easily that way, but it doesn't stick around for days here like it does over there. I'd think that dri-down is the way to go and will help, I'd consider send Paul from UGQ's and email with your question. He's done a bit of testing with the down and could give more insight into it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pitch your tarp correctly, low to the ground so there's no splash-up from heavy downpours, and transport your down gear in a silnylon waterproof bag (or use a pack liner or whatnot), and there really shouldn't be any problem. There's simply no comparison between down and synthetic for warmth-to-weight ratio (down wins), and down also packs to a much smaller size. Only real downside is cost - down is a ton more expensive.

I also did research a couple years ago, and I forget the exact numbers, but the insulating properties of wet down to wet synthetic isn't that great of a difference at all. Weight-wise (when both are wet), I really can't comment on though.

I switched to a down sleeping bag years ago and haven't looked back. It's simply warmer (to me) than any synthetic bag ever was. And if I sleep better, the trip is better!

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    +1 on what Dochartaigh said.

I have been in the PacNW for a few years now and I use a down UQ. In colder weather I use a down TQ. In warmer temps I use a light sleeping bag. I carry a SOL Escape Bivvy just in case. But I have never had to use it. I keep my down in a thick trash bag in my pack. I am careful with how I sting my tarp. I also have a tyvek Frogg Toggs poncho that doubles and an underquilt protector. It's not great a keeping the cold out. But it keeps the rain out.

All that said I have seldom been caught in a deluge in the PacNW. At least Not like Oklahoma in the spring. The biggest issue I have had is with fog and mist. The right tarp (one with doors) and an underquilt protector seem to be the best defense I have found. I have also read the using down treated with Dri Down helps on a multiday. Your down never gets a chance to breath and dry out in the field when it is wet. They say Dri Down sheds water and drys a little quicker. Your mileage may vary, I have not tried it. I know Coil had extensively hiked/camped/climbed all over Washington and he had never had an issue with his down.

Images
    A beginner might want to start with a synthetic bag, but once you learn how to keep your gear dry nothing beats down for coziness, light weight and small packing size. I've used down exclusively for 30 years, mostly in the Olympic Mts. and Cascades for trips of up to 2 weeks and never gotten seriously wet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    +1 on what others have said about tarp setup and UQ protectors IE 2QZQ UQP.
    I worked on the BC coast for months at a time, camping, down bag, no problems.If your going for a few days don't worry about it at all and get down, but definitely get the UQP as it will keep the fog etc off the UQ.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I dont have any experience with WRT down but if I were in the PNW I would build an UQ and TQ out of Momentum 55 or the like and Climasheild Apex.

Quote Originally Posted by NordicNorm View Post
    Many years of camping in the PNW. Synthetics have saved my butt many times. That said, I love my down bags for winter but tend not to use them unless in the teens or colder. YMMV

+1 on both of these. I live in Coastal TX and the humidity and average rainfall here has me convinced that Climashield is the way to go, especially for trips of longer duration.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've been using this instead....open cell under pad, 3/4 length and a synthetic top quilt...have been able to stay very warm in it.....lately been way too warm for the TQ so I used a lightweight fleece throw. While the Open Cell under pad is quite bulky when stuffing it, it compresses pretty good and is very very light for what it offers in warmth. I set it up like an under quilt, and it functions much like a garlington insulator but with open cell foam and basically it works better than a CCF pad, and much more comfortable than the 6 pound cheapo under quilt I had.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast