Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lightning View Post
    I think I'll probably end up going for the 1.1oz Olive (Grayish) for the widest possible width at 68". I'm leaning towards double layer for less stretch and hopefully more mosquito resistance from below.

I'm pretty happy with features on the Thunderbird except I really wish you could add an extra side zipper for the bug net. I find it takes an extra few seconds to zip up to the top as opposed to zipping two zippers shut on the side. That lets in a few extra mosquitoes each time. Maybe I'll get really fast with practice.
    I agree with you on the double layer, it is imo the best option and if i'm reading the add on's section of the Dream hammocks website it looks like you can add on an extra zipper slider ,, i may be wrong but go look at the ad on page, it looks like you can,, but you could allways ask Papa Smurf with a pretty please.!

Edit - i just checked and Yes i'm sure you can, go check it out!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I think I'll probably end up going for the 1.1oz Olive (Grayish) for the widest possible width at 68". I'm leaning towards double layer for less stretch and hopefully more mosquito resistance from below.

I'm pretty happy with features on the Thunderbird except I really wish you could add an extra side zipper for the bug net. I find it takes an extra few seconds to zip up to the top as opposed to zipping two zippers shut on the side. That lets in a few extra mosquitoes each time. Maybe I'll get really fast with practice.
    Get some beeswax and rub it on the zipper, that'll speed it up a little

I would contact Papa Smurf about the 2 zipper thing, bet it could be done. Unless there is some problem with the net being able to be zipped all the way off.

Double 1.1 will still stretch less but that stuff does give, just the nature of it. (says the guy who is twice your weight)

Once nice thing about doubles, you can change the inside color to something just enough different from the outside to really make it 'pop'. Cause you know, you get comfortable and bugs ain't biting ya, it's all about the fashion statement.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Unfortunately, the ThunderBird zippers can't have extra sliders added. I've discussed this a couple times with my zipper manufacturer and it's just not possible.

Here's one thing we've done a couple times with pretty good success. We can make the netting non-removable at one end and add extra zipper sliders, just like the RoamingGnome and have the overcover removable at the other end like the ThunderBird. There have been a few hangers tell me they never go without the netting, but do often leave the overcover at home. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Double 1.1 will still stretch less but that stuff does give, just the nature of it. (says the guy who is twice your weight)
    The differences are pretty minor, but I'd say the robust feeling 1.1's we have would be the Grayish Olive and the Marpat. I've used this combination together before and it looks pretty sharp.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Unfortunately, the ThunderBird zippers can't have extra sliders added. I've discussed this a couple times with my zipper manufacturer and it's just not possible.

Here's one thing we've done a couple times with pretty good success. We can make the netting non-removable at one end and add extra zipper sliders, just like the RoamingGnome and have the overcover removable at the other end like the ThunderBird. There have been a few hangers tell me they never go without the netting, but do often leave the overcover at home. Just a thought.

I thought I understood correctly about the Thunderbird zippers. I really like the idea of permanent bug net attachment and removable over cover though.
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Well, I had the day to consider all the great feedback on this thread and read back through some older forum posts. It seems to me that the 11' length is going to make a whole lot of difference. I know I'd like wider than 60", but really am not that excited about the extra weight of a double layer or the stretchiness of a 1.1 oz single layer. I think I have myself pretty convinced that the extra foot of length combined with another 3.5" of width will work for me so I'm going for the 1.8 oz. Brown Nylon at 63.5" width.

I also decided on the Dangerbird instead of the Thunderbird. I really like the idea of being able to leave cover or net at home for a weight savings, but it's also nice having them both there attached and handy at all times. And with the longer hammock I don't want to have to reach up to unzip the net or over cover.

Since I camp with my girlfriend a lot, I like to be able to pass things back and forth on one side and exit the hammock on the other. So I opted for all 12 zipper pulls for full side-zip access on both sides...yeah!

DangerBird
    Length: 11ft
    Special Width?: Wide as fabric allows
    Layers: Single Layer
    Outside Fabric & Color: 1.8 Brown Nylon
    Overcover Color: 1.1 Brownish Green
    Suspension: Cinch Buckle
    Asym Lay: Left

Thanks all for your helpful comments and feedback!

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    nice choices. that was the easy part. the hard part is the wait
    I have 2 dreamhammocks and love them both. dbl layer 1.9 acu thunderbird(11') and darien (11') single layer 1.8 atac au. both are fantastic.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    You can't sell anything because of lack of posts, yet you've been a member since May 2012 and you're a donating member. That's just wrong.

Good luck with your new hammock.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoEvo View Post
    You can't sell anything because of lack of posts, yet you've been a member since May 2012 and you're a donating member. That's just wrong.

Good luck with your new hammock.
    Thanks!

Yeah, with all the knowledge on the forum I spend a lot more time listening than talking. Guess it's time to change that...at least until I reach 50 posts and sell my Thunderbird.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Well, I had the day to consider all the great feedback on this thread and read back through some older forum posts. It seems to me that the 11' length is going to make a whole lot of difference. I know I'd like wider than 60", but really am not that excited about the extra weight of a double layer or the stretchiness of a 1.1 oz single layer. I think I have myself pretty convinced that the extra foot of length combined with another 3.5" of width will work for me so I'm going for the 1.8 oz. Brown Nylon at 63.5" width.

I also decided on the Dangerbird instead of the Thunderbird. I really like the idea of being able to leave cover or net at home for a weight savings, but it's also nice having them both there attached and handy at all times. And with the longer hammock I don't want to have to reach up to unzip the net or over cover.

Since I camp with my girlfriend a lot, I like to be able to pass things back and forth on one side and exit the hammock on the other. So I opted for all 12 zipper pulls for full side-zip access on both sides...yeah!

DangerBird
    Length: 11ft
    Special Width?: Wide as fabric allows
    Layers: Single Layer
    Outside Fabric & Color: 1.8 Brown Nylon
    Overcover Color: 1.1 Brownish Green
    Suspension: Cinch Buckle
    Asym Lay: Left

Thanks all for your helpful comments and feedback!
    Oh yeah! You're gonna like that one.

That Thunderbird should be an easy re-sell, even if it takes a while longer to get those 50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast