HH Explorer Asym Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS for now
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

WI>Black River State Forest>8/2014>Tires Slashed

Just a heads up to anyone planning on going here- I went up for a quick overnighter Saturday night at the Wildcat Lot to hike and hang the hammock. Hiked out Sunday morning to find my car with missing license plates and slashed tires. There was one other vehicle in the lot and their tires were slashed as well. The locals I talked to said they had never heard of this type of incident happening. I assumed at first it was kids out there partying at night and causing trouble or something, but there was really no evidence of that. I did talk to a strange (creepy) man in the lot Saturday night before hitting the trail and I can only assume that he did this.

But if anyone is planning on going here, keep in mind the possibility of this happening. I was far enough out that my cell phone only worked for calling 911 and it took the deputy 1.5 hours to find me, they kept trying to call me but I had no signal. Also, things got really expensive between the wrecker truck and getting four tires put on unexpectedly. I expect my insurance to cover everything minus deductible but it sure was an inconvenience!

Side note- the hammock hanging was great! I found a nice little open area off of the Red Oak Trail with great trees for hanging and a downed log that made for a perfect seat and table. It was a peaceful evening and sleep to prepare for the stress that started at the parking lot!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Wow sorry man. I've been there a couple times never had anything like this go down. Thats one thing I've always loved about living in Wisconsin. In 14 years I've never had any trouble at a trailhead. I guess it obviously happens though.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS for now
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks man, I will go back there but I may wait awhile to make sure this guy isn't going to make repeated trouble there. Sure liked it being from Madison as we don't have much for primitive camping around here!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    No I hear you, Black River and Kettle Moraines is about it if you want to get a little remote overnight and keep it within an hour or two. I lived in Madison for about ten years and then couldn't take it anymore, moved north to the south shore. I do miss the good food though.

• + New Posts