Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Ready

This might be a little lenghty lead in, but hang in there with me.. Pun intended. I know I am a dork.

So this weekend the wife and myself took my two nephews for their first backpacking trip. Not bad, 10 miles and camp at Red River Gorge.

So we get to camp and set up the Go-Lite Shangri La 3 for the boys and their gear, and the Tarp Tent Rainshadow Three for us and our gear and our 90 lbs Lab/Dobbie,

As I was getting in I thought to myself, wow, how stupid is it that I have to crawl into my shelter to sleep. Then for the next few hours of tossing and turning trying to get comfortable all I could think about was hammocks. Then the rain came.

Now in our TT we have been through rain before and when it rains, and let me stress this, with our dog and ourselves, I think there is just a little too much heat in the thing, and we get some pretty good sprays from condensation. It was the same with this night.

What was different was that I didnt have a good choice for camping, because I needed to keep an eye on the boys, so instead of nice water absorbing leaf bed, we were on hard dirt. SO the water literaly splashed into our tent from all sides, it was pitched low, but there was nothing I could do.

So I woke up and said aloud to all, "well that might be the last time ol dad sleeps on the ground." and I meant it.

I think that the TT is a well crafted tent and for the weight cant be beat, butiI cant deal with getting wet anymore,

SO finnaly here is my question, with hammocking, and using a silnylon tarp, is there a condensation problem that causes misting?

P.S. the boys like the trip, and I will soon either be in DIY material up to my elbows, or will be ordering soon.

Thank you for ruining a perfectly good ground dweller...

DBD

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    This might be a little lenghty lead in, but hang in there with me.. Pun intended. I know I am a dork.

So this weekend the wife and myself took my two nephews for their first backpacking trip. Not bad, 10 miles and camp at Red River Gorge.

So we get to camp and set up the Go-Lite Shangri La 3 for the boys and their gear, and the Tarp Tent Rainshadow Three for us and our gear and our 90 lbs Lab/Dobbie,

As I was getting in I thought to myself, wow, how stupid is it that I have to crawl into my shelter to sleep. Then for the next few hours of tossing and turning trying to get comfortable all I could think about was hammocks. Then the rain came.

Now in our TT we have been through rain before and when it rains, and let me stress this, with our dog and ourselves, I think there is just a little too much heat in the thing, and we get some pretty good sprays from condensation. It was the same with this night.

What was different was that I didnt have a good choice for camping, because I needed to keep an eye on the boys, so instead of nice water absorbing leaf bed, we were on hard dirt. SO the water literaly splashed into our tent from all sides, it was pitched low, but there was nothing I could do.

So I woke up and said aloud to all, "well that might be the last time ol dad sleeps on the ground." and I meant it.

I think that the TT is a well crafted tent and for the weight cant be beat, butiI cant deal with getting wet anymore,

SO finnaly here is my question, with hammocking, and using a silnylon tarp, is there a condensation problem that causes misting?

P.S. the boys like the trip, and I will soon either be in DIY material up to my elbows, or will be ordering soon.

Thank you for ruining a perfectly good ground dweller...

DBD
    Not moreso than a tent, depends on the type of tarp you have.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good story!

Sil has a reputation for misting in very heavy rains. There is a theory that a tarp strung a little loose will absorb the impact (like the leaves on the ground) of the falling water drop thereby reducing the PSI when it hits. I haven't had this problem with Spinn...yet.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    funny how mother nature can push you to make a decision...
    As far as sil and misting...I have never seen it myself (I believe people here who have) FWIW, I have seen some monster storms and never had any issues. Spinn doesn't seem to have any of that issue
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have experienced the reality of sil seeping/misting but not in the field. I thought "golly goo what a perfect material to make a water carrier bag out of... waterproof, light, sounds wonderful." _wrong answer_... If I only wanted to transport a cup or two I'd be set but anything more... forget it. I've had my tarp be damp on the underside but I have attributed it to condensation from my body/breath rather than seeping. It had not rained the night before but I was dripping from the bottom of the tarp. not sure if spinn would have changed that but I doubt it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts