DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey, that's only ~500 miles from me. I've driven A LOT farther than that for a vacation before. Maybe this new guy can make it and learn how it's done from the pros!

BTW - Time can be made over any of those weekends for me. I am a bit of a cold wuss, though. Guess I need to learn how to dress properly before then.

Jerry

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    Hey, that's only ~500 miles from me. I've driven A LOT farther than that for a vacation before. Maybe this new guy can make it and learn how it's done from the pros!

BTW - Time can be made over any of those weekends for me. I am a bit of a cold wuss, though. Guess I need to learn how to dress properly before then.

Jerry
    We Shall Guide you Through The Cold..........
    Snug Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Shug, any chance that you may have a day or 2 free for at least an overnighter or so while you're down south? Keep us NC hangers posted, inquiring minds want to know.
    Hey Hootch ...... Man, that would be terrific! Let us stay in touch on that and as time gets a bit closer it will be easier for me to figure. I am going to visit Charlotte to see my sisters so .... may be Linville or South Mountain or Freedom Park!
    Some Mush and a hang .... priceless!!!!
    Shug

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Time to start thinking about where we want this to take place, now that the dates are set.

The poll closed with the October 10th weekend being the clear cut winner. So, I was thinking October 8 - 11 would be the full hike. Meet somewhere Thursday morning, hike to a hanging location for Thursday night, hike to a hanging location Friday night, repeat Saturday, pack up and drive home Sunday. Very similar to our first Northern Hang. If this is acceptable, we will add it to the calendar as October 8-11.

You SHT junkies who know this trail inside and out, where do you think we should start, and end up? I've hiked a small section of this when I was much younger, but I do not know this trail at all - just the parts that touch the road on the way to the BWCA, and close to Duluth. I've seen lots of suggestions, now is the time to lay them down for real. Lets try to keep it to the ~10 mile limit that the NCT trip was - just enough to work up a sweat, but not enough to stretch anyone to the limits of their endurance.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Oberg Mountain to Bally Creek Rd. is a good one. Lots of parking at the Oberg lot and Bally lot. This can be a very popular trip in Oct. .... especially through the Lutsen area.
    I also like Hangin'Yankees suggestion of Crosby Manitou State Park to Hwy. 1. Really my favorite section. Crosby has an $11 site fee per night and a car fee (there are other parking options such as leaving cars at Finland Rec. Center so you could stop and re-supply there if needed) but is wonderful and for night one there are very easy to get to sites on Benson Lake. Close together so we could get a couple and have an into night feast because you can hike back to your car in 10 minutes or less. Really. Plus if ya' want .... toss a canoe or kayak in the lake. Going south we would more than likely have to improvise our hanging unless we hump to Leskinen Creek site. That would be more than 10 miles but that hike from Crosby to finland Rec. Center and a wee bit beyond is not too strenuous..... just a bit longer.
    A really terrific section through the Northern Piney Woods!!!!
    Shug

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    An excellent suggestion by Shug. Have spent time at Crosby for the last two years. An easy hike with the possibility of three lake side campsites. Nice side trip to see the cascades and an excellent first night for a fine buffet and campfire. Shug , my kids grew up on you at the Minn. State Fair. I need to glean some expertise from you on winter hang'n.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I agree with Shug about the Oberg Mnt sec. It would be beautiful but very crowded with leafers that time of year. How about we meet at the Caribou River multi site on Thursday. Plenty of trees and parking. Short hike to & from cars with all the goodies for the smörgåsbord. Plus we can clean up in the falls ! Friday hike SB through Crosby-Manitou SP to Bensen Lake (8mi). Good spot for people to join in if they can't meet up on Thursday. As Shug said always spots available. Close to parking. Canoe or kayak for some fresh fish ! Saturday hike SB through Finland Rec Center to one of the Egge Lake sites (9.5mi). This stretch gives you a great sense of remoteness but not difficult on the legs. We'll be on a good lake to fish on. Two miles to the cars. Plus if anybody wanted, it gives you a great short hike option for Sunday, the infamous Section 13. Let me know what y'all think.
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
    I agree with Shug about the Oberg Mnt sec. It would be beautiful but very crowded with leafers that time of year. How about we meet at the Caribou River multi site on Thursday. Plenty of trees and parking. Short hike to & from cars with all the goodies for the smörgåsbord. Plus we can clean up in the falls ! Friday hike SB through Crosby-Manitou SP to Bensen Lake (8mi). Good spot for people to join in if they can't meet up on Thursday. As Shug said always spots available. Close to parking. Canoe or kayak for some fresh fish ! Saturday hike SB through Finland Rec Center to one of the Egge Lake sites (9.5mi). This stretch gives you a great sense of remoteness but not difficult on the legs. We'll be on a good lake to fish on. Two miles to the cars. Plus if anybody wanted, it gives you a great short hike option for Sunday, the infamous Section 13. Let me know what y'all think.
    You guys are the experts on this trail, and I am willing to go with your suggestions. This sounds like a very good option. We have a pretty large group, how is that going to work at the possible hanging spots?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    You guys are the experts on this trail, and I am willing to go with your suggestions. This sounds like a very good option. We have a pretty large group, how is that going to work at the possible hanging spots?
    That too would work MrGreen! I love that stretch from Caribou to Crosby .... past Horseshoe Ridge. Some up and down as well plus the good ol' Manitou river bridge crossing.
    Finn .... we will have to improvise on the hammock hanging on the SHT but it should be no problem to wander off into the woods as we did on night two of the Northern hang. The SHT likes for campers to stay in campsites but if not we will be ok as long as we make sure NOT to be on any private property. No shortage of trees.
    Do we have a head count yet?
    If the group gets to large we could always split into two groups... one north ... one south. Just a possibility if we get to big on this one.
    Just remember ... it will be a bit more strenuous than the north country Trail.

Hammock
    TrekLight
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    7D HG 3s Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That too would work MrGreen! I love that stretch from Caribou to Crosby .... past Horseshoe Ridge. Some up and down as well plus the good ol' Manitou river bridge crossing.
    I do too ! Maybe my favorite SP in Minni,plus it will give us a great way too burn off all the food. Also if we start at Caribou we have the multi group site so we don't have to worry about places to hang.

Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    If we chose this route hanging shouldn't be a problem at all. Multi group site the first night. Second night: Benson Lake always has sites open. Third night: Egge Lake has two different sites with an abundance of trees.

Do we have a head count yet?.
    Good question...

Just remember ... it will be a bit more strenuous than the north country Trail.
    Pack your BenGay ! No jokes ! Fin !!!!!
    Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho ~ Jambi

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast