Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double

Is a zero degree TQ to much at 60 degrees?

I can make something cheap for a summer TQ and BQ. Most people think of a 3 season as spring, summer and fall. I think winter is most important so I have always tried to think in terms of my winter bag being fall, winter, and spring bag. I am ready to transition from a sleeping bag but can only afford one. So, is a 0 TQ to much at 60?

Dont think about this question in terms of weight. Just temps.
    Last edited by Justice; 08-06-2014 at 02:57.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    0 degree TQ is definitely overkill at those temperatures. But the cool thing about TQs is you can shrug them off when you get too hot and pull it back on if you get chilly. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you can only buy one and you want to prepare for the winter, the 0 is a decent choice.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I would be extremely too hot with a 0* TQ at 60*. Phew it makes me sweat just thinking about it. If you need a TQ for winter, I'd get the 0* TQ, and then just use a blanket or poncho liner for the 60* weather.

What UQ do you have?
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I have a 30 degree UGQ Flight Jacket TQ (those guys are awesome). I have only recently switched from a sleeping bag. I was recently out in upper 60s-upper 50s weather with it. Went to bed at 10:00 pm and did not need the TQ so I had it set off to the side in my WBBB. Right about 11:00 pm I got cool and threw it over me. I slept like a baby until 6:00 am and it got down to about 58 degrees. I did not tuck it in so there was some venting on the sides. I think the warmer it is the more likely I will be to open up the foot box for ventilation as well. With a 0 degree bag I would undo the foot box altogether in warmer weather to allow for additional venting. I was definitely surprised how warm the TQ was for the weight. I'm not much of a winter camper so this guy should get me though my camping season. If I was more into winter camping I would have definitely done the zero degree TQ. Like you said it is much easier to DIY summer insulation than winter. Unfortunately the more time you spend here the easier it becomes to justify have a quilt for both warmer and colder weather. I'm already shopping for a cooler weather UQ. My wife is going to kill me.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

I'm new to the adventure and I've only camped in a hammock now for 2 summers in NC. I agree the 0 degree tq would be too warm for Summer here in NC. I just spent a week hanging out in the Sandhills. I started the evening with nothing and then used a fleece tq that I recently purchased from Jacks R Better. It costs $29. It worked really well. I'm sure you could buy some fleece and make a similar tq, but the one from Jacks R Better is quality fleece and it is already sewn into a nice tq. They have monthly sales.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarus8429 View Post
    I have a 30 degree UGQ Flight Jacket TQ (those guys are awesome). I have only recently switched from a sleeping bag. I was recently out in upper 60s-upper 50s weather with it. Went to bed at 10:00 pm and did not need the TQ so I had it set off to the side in my WBBB. Right about 11:00 pm I got cool and threw it over me. I slept like a baby until 6:00 am and it got down to about 58 degrees. I did not tuck it in so there was some venting on the sides. I think the warmer it is the more likely I will be to open up the foot box for ventilation as well. With a 0 degree bag I would undo the foot box altogether in warmer weather to allow for additional venting. I was definitely surprised how warm the TQ was for the weight. I'm not much of a winter camper so this guy should get me though my camping season. If I was more into winter camping I would have definitely done the zero degree TQ. Like you said it is much easier to DIY summer insulation than winter. Unfortunately the more time you spend here the easier it becomes to justify have a quilt for both warmer and colder weather. I'm already shopping for a cooler weather UQ. My wife is going to kill me.
    I know the feeling about the wife. The key is to get her hanging with you. I kept buying gear until i got her comfortable in one (Amuk).
    I told her that i was going to sell some of the hammocks that i have obtained over the last two years, but she told me that she liked things about all but one of them.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I understand the economics, but it would be a sauna. I like your idea of getting the 0° quilt for your coldest trips. And, you can still get away with it during cooler fall & spring weather but, summer is a different story.

This concept works better for an underquilt because you can loosen the suspension & vent it according to your needs (the only downside is carrying extra weight).

Gravity is working against you with the top quilt; it's either on or off. Yes, you can stick one leg out but, that goes only so far in temperature ranges.

To keep economics in line, consider a thin synthetic top quilt. Even though they are a bit heavier & don't pack as small as down, they are cheap to make (if so inclined). And since it would be thin for summer, the weight & volume difference wouldn't be great.

To make one, stack 2 layers of nylon with 1 layer of Clima shield, sew around the perimeter and you're done!
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-06-2014 at 12:03.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images
    For summer nights here in CT, I bring along a light fleece blanket & that seems to do the trick. I've used my Ozarks (Walmart) down bag & it does get a bit toasty.

Maybe a poncho liner would be something to consider(for temperature, price, & weight)?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I recently camped at around 70º with a 15º sleeping bag (so similar to your example of 60º with a 0º top quilt). I usually just want my feet to be warm, with something thrown over my mid-section. I still woke up sweating in the middle of the night, and my feet were either cold with the bag thrown over them, or sweating with my feet in the enclosed foot box of the sleeping bag.

I'm sure if you're into activities where you can sleep in a hammock (i.e. camping) you already have a regular 4-season sleeping bag. What I did is decide to keep the 15º down sleeping bag for when it's really cold out (which I will use in the hammock in the rare instances I'm hammock camping when it's cold out), and purchase a one and only 40º top quilt...seemed like the best course of action to take.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Mad777 I see your point and I agree. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast