Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double

Anyone ever use a Little Buddy Heater under a superfly or tarp with doors?

Anyone ever use a Little Buddy Heater under a superfly or tarp with doors?
    I recently had back surgery so I am not walking far from the truck to set up camp. I thought that if I hung the tarp low I might be able to put a small propane heater under there somewhere safe and get enough heat hanging around in there to make my back feel good without being snuggled up between the quilts. I would get a co monitor but the heater has one as well as a tip over shut off. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything like that. I saw a youtube vid where a guy set his wbbb up with a msr twin brothers and a ultralight stove. I was inspired but I aint that brave. Ill take any ideas ya have (except staying home )
    Thanks.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Images
    Used similisr heter in a nylon tent for many years, probably over a thousand nights. You can even heat up some water for hot chocolate on it. The only time I had an issue, was one morning I had woke up to the heater fallen over on it's side. Luckily I had a rubber mat on the tent floor, but the hot coils fell on me and my sleeping bag and burned a hole in my bag. Was very surprised it all turned out ok. Helpa to take the edge off, but I was in a 4-season doubled walled nylon tent, not a tarp pitched low, not sure how much it'll help.
    Since switching to hammocks, I went back to woodburning stoves. Got a big tarp that goes to the ground, and a packable titanium stove from tigoat, it's sure a nice thing.

Hammock
    Kiri Para II Double
    Tarp
    MEC Silicon Guide
    Insulation
    Mostly Fat
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin/Biner
    Images
    I have been using a Coleman ProCat for while in both tents and when hammock camping. It is very similar to the Mr. Heater but with less features. I have tested the CO2 auto-stop and it works great. The heater requires a certain level of oxygen to operate, not enough and it stops. The threshold for oxygen level is far above our own threshold for safety.

Don't expect to be toasty warm in the winter or below freezing point, it's just enough to prevent water from freezing under the tarp. When used in warmer temperature, make sure to leave a pot of water underneath the front of the heater to generate some humidity. It gets dry very quickly with this setup.

I always put a few rocks around the heater to prevent it from tipping over. It also helps when I run out of propane as the rocks keep the warmth for a while.

One last thing, make sure your propane bottle is not touching any tarp, floormat or else. The bottom of the bottle will freeze overnight and stick to them, even when used in warmer weather. This happens because propane cools down when it flows under pressure.

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Fire-Fly and I used one last winter with the marmot limelight 3 and it worked well.....however with the SuperFly I think there would be to much area and gaps to let air in to keep you toasty warm....it would help but not be great....and with your back problems the tarp would have to be hung so low that you would have to bend over pretty far to get in and out.....I also have disc issues which may need surgery so I kinda understand what your dealing with....so this year we are going to make our own XXL DIY tarp with doors and put a stove jack in it for a titanium stove.....that way I can still hang my hammock and Fire-Fly and MoMo can sleep underneath of me at night......Well I hope that helps.....
    HIKE ON
    MAZ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Great points Maz. Thanks for the tips guys.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Had some member of our hunting crew use one several years ago in their little nylon pop up blind. The temps were in the 15f to 30f range. It did the job but barely. It also emitted a lot of exhaust (odorless) so they had to vent quite a bit pretty much negating the benefits. Because of that it just whipped through fuel cans too. I wouldn't recommend it as it kept falling over and needed quite a bit of supervision. I assume it would be dandy in a permanent or semi permanent ventable, enclosed blind.

• + New Posts