Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Question Stand for *one* hammock at Burning Man recs?

Hey all, hopefully this is the right sub-forum to ask for advice about hammock stands in! I'm wondering whether the Portable Hammock Pipe Stand (http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...ck-pipe-stand/ and others) would be a reasonable way to hang at Burning Man (conditions: flat, sandy/dusty ground, windy, lots of people wandering around prone to stumbling over things like guylines).

Large, multi-hammock tensegrity hammock stands are classic at Burning Man, but I'm only bringing one hammock and don't want something with such a big footprint. The pipe stand appeals to me because it packs into one long bundle without pieces sticking out to the sides much and because I can put it together with things directly from Home Depot, no additional modification required; the cargo truck that I'm sending my bulky stuff on is being loaded next weekend, so I need to have it ready to go by then.

I've never used any hammock stands though and I'm worried about the pipe stand, when unoccupied, being tippy in the wind or if someone bumps into it (and it being heavy enough to damage other things in camp if it did fall over). Is this an at all realistic thing to worry about? If so, would one of the other DIY stands (TurtleDog or TrailH4x's 2x4 stand or ...?) work better or should I just stake down the legs of the pipe stand somehow? I was thinking either with steel rebar staples or by pounding a stake in on either side of each leg and running line between them tight against the leg. Thanks!

try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ea73tsxlk

modified version of turtledog, it seems very portable and stable, credit to the OP for the innovation

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.8 Blue/Black
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ (Synth)
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I like that one, I think I'll try it myself

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Exclamation

I'm kind of dubious of that design, actually. Someone proposed a similar design in turtlelady's original thread about her stand and she explained that she'd tried that and it didn't work, and why (posts #3 and #7 here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-Bamboo-Stand). The take-away quote from that:
    You do NOT want to put that compressive force of the weighted hammock attachment onto the top of the tripod legs.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Tree straps w/MSH
    I spent a lot of time researching a bunch of different stands. I was leaning towards a DIY design but read some good things about the Vivere 9' stand. I got one and loved it so much I got another for my living room. It works really well with any gathered end hammock like Eno or Grand Trunk. It also comes apart quickly and easily and I now take my stand to festivals and other places there might not be convenient trees.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    ------------------------------------
    It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you're referring to the pipe stand found here, I can't imagine it tipping over in anything but very high winds. Staking the base as you describe should make it bulletproof.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MiriRose View Post
    I'm kind of dubious of that design, actually. Someone proposed a similar design in turtlelady's original thread about her stand and she explained that she'd tried that and it didn't work, and why (posts #3 and #7 here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...s-Bamboo-Stand). The take-away quote from that:
    I think quite a few folks have tried their ridgepole on top of the Turtledog stand with success. I wonder if the difference here is that the T'Dog stand uses hinges and the T'Lady stand uses lashed poles. I can imagine how the downward pull of the ridgepole between lashed poles could have a tendency to push the legs out as it pushes on the "V" created in the lashed poles. Just a guess.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I stand corrected! I must have missed them somewhere in the oh my gosh 825 posts in that thread.

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I took my TDS to Burning Man last year and it worked flawlessly. I had a Monkey Hut shade structure with a dome tent and would set up the TDS with the tablecloth hammock in the evening and take the stand down and stow it out of the way in the morning for more room in the hut. Also, pack your hammock in a dust-proof container during the day to keep it relatively clean.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    This is on my wish list. 22 lbs and for another $20 you can buy extenders. Specifically states OK for nylon camping hammocks.

http://www.boonedoxusa.com/product/boonedox-drifter/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast