Atlas Straps - use backwards?

So, I have a set of the Atlas straps, and for the most part, I've been able to use them as normal, i.e. wrap the end with a single loop around the tree and pass the end with many loops thru, and hang hammock towards the end...

but, I recently needed to get closer to a tree on a particular hang, so I hung the Atlas backwards, using the very last of the many loops for the wrap around the tree, that way there was a loop to hang from right next to the tree, not a foot or so out..

Clearly the loops are stitched intended to be used the normal direction, they have more material in that direction.. but, are there any concerns with using it the opposite way?

Why not just wrap the strap once or twice before threading through the hole at the end? That should take care of things.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybush View Post
    Why not just wrap the strap once or twice before threading through the hole at the end? That should take care of things.
    +1

You can double wrap the tree and use the straps as intended.

Is it a disaster if you do what you suggest? No. But you are correct in saying they are intended to be used with the stress applied in a particular direction.

I will say the straps are rated to what, 200lbs? I used them for about 3 months on a daily basis, including some "backward" use. That and I pushed them to 150lbs over their weight limit. Some of the stitching did start to pull here and there but I would not and do not hesitate to use the straps when needed.

Always inspect your suspension components, keep an eye on the stitching on the straps and consider the suggestion of simply double wrapping the tree if possible.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    eno singlenest
    Suspension
    eno atlas straps
    There is nothing wrong with using them in the way you describe, they would be no more prone to failure than in a regular orientation. But i would agree with others and say why not just use multiple wraps around the tree in a normal orientation to shorten the strap.

• + New Posts