Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Best for a 5 year old

My 5 year old has been sleeping in a ENO in his bedroom for the last month. So today I sold my tarptent to fund a full hammock setup for him. He usually sleeps on a 48" ridgerest solite. I was planning on making him a hammock for camping, roughly 4' x 9'. I can do double layer and slip the ridgerest in between, or make up a 5' long synthetic underquilt which would provide full insulation for the next 4-5 years at least. Any thoughts from the parents on the board? We do 4-5 backpacking trips a year, so weight is important but not crucial.

Hammock
    ENO SN or Sub7
    Tarp
    Noah's 9, ProFly
    Insulation
    AHE JB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not exactly a DIY suggestion, but my boys are perfect with AHE Jarbidge UQs. And the price is right at $100. All my kids have slept with a pad and now have UQ's, and I doubt any of them will ever be willing to use the pad again.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by keatham View Post
    Not exactly a DIY suggestion, but my boys are perfect with AHE Jarbidge UQs. And the price is right at $100. All my kids have slept with a pad and now have UQ's, and I doubt any of them will ever be willing to use the pad again.
    For a couple more days we have our Anniversary sale Jarbidges at $75.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    Wish my boys would hang, they won't stay in a hammock very long. It somehow makes them nervous. Sadly one of us, usually my husb , goes to ground when we are all together.

Maybe if I made one, and they helped, they would be more inclined to stay in it......hmmmmm, interesting.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    My boy has been coming up to the bwca for the last four years and sleeping in a hammock. I had him sleeping on a prolite short pad inside his sleeping bag. It has worked well. This year I made myself a DIY down underquilt so I let him use my jarbidge. He liked it and said it was more comfortable. He did not like that it blocked his view from the hammock. One nice thing about the underquilt was once he was in the hammock there was no getting outside of underquilt while he was sleeping. Hope this is useful.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the advice. Think I'll make us both under quilt with apex and argon.

my son is 6 now and he uses a short ridgerest. It stays put pretty well. His sleeping bag has loops on the side I can use to tie the pad fast. A down under quilt would be great though.

Nathan - I made a climashield APEX 5.0 underquilt (and top quilt) for my 8 yr old daughter from one of the thru-hiker kits. Since the fabric is about 56" wide we cut it in half and made the top and under quilt from the same kit. The underquilt is darn near full length for her (and I may borrow it sometime as 2/3 UQ. shhh.). The top quilt is good for now but she'll out grow it in a few years (toe box uses up space.) It might be an option over using a pad. She's using a Grand Trunk UL hammock. I find it too short for me but she fits in it fine. I re-rigged with with whoppie slings/dutch hooks.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    Borah Gear 10x10
    Insulation
    MYOG UQ
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies
    I use the Grand Trunk Nano which actually measures at (I think) 9 x 4 ft. I'm 5'4", so the size should accommodate them for a while. I personally think he would be more comfortable with an UQ than a pad -- some slip around even between layered hammocks and leave you adjusting all night.

• + New Posts