Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

How do you get dirt/sand out of hammock when your in it?

So last night I'm laying in my BB in the evening, relaxing, when I reach under my back to adjust my shirt and feel about a pinch of sand scattered between me and the hammock. It wasn't a lot but I'm worried that these small pieces of sand and dirt, being sharp edged, will abrase the nylon as I scoot around inside getting comfortable and grind into the nylon and shorten my hammocks life. I'm careful to keep clean before I get in, but it still happens.

Does anyone else ever notice this, and if so, what you do about it? Do you use something like baby wipes to get it out? I don't want to get everything out of the hammock and shake it out if I don't have to. Or am I being concerned about nothing, that it won't hurt the hammock, and should ignore some dirt/sand getting in with me. What do you think?

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I give mine a good shake and dump before getting in each night. Gets rid of any accumulated junk from the day.
    Last edited by 2ply; 08-07-2014 at 20:57.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I shake it out, and am extremely diligent about only getting in my hammock with PJs on and a clean pair of socks. This might change as soon as I start really cutting down my pack weight.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I shake out when I set up. Then toss in the TQ. I also shake out again in the morning after packed everything up. I always have some dirt or leaves or something in it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    I hiked half of the AT in my BB and then set it up in the yard till it got to cold to just hang out in. I worried about that abrasion as well but it still shows no sign of wear in that regard. Just shake it out before ya get in at night and again in the morning but if its that stuff ya just cant seem to get rid of then while it is hanging use a stick or two like a tent pole to spread the hammock then stick your arms in between the layers and open it and shake it while its on its side. Go ahead then and turn it upside down while its spread and shake that out to. There were lots of 20 to 30 mile days that I just did not care how much dirt was in it and I abused my BB pretty good. It still looks pretty new.
    Last edited by Justice; 08-07-2014 at 22:01.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Like someone said above, I am just extremely clean in my hammock and only get in with clean clothes and never with shoes
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    If I get send in my hammock, I shake the heck out of it, turn it wrong side out and shake. A large commercial washer will get the sand washed out, that is the only way I have found to get fine sand gone.

Most of our hammocks are designed to take some hardy use. I get in and out of mine in the dark, I slip into my camp shoes, then when I am ready it the shoes are left outside, sometimes I track in sand, bits of forest debris, leaves (so far no slugs). I shake out everything before I make camp and when breaking camp. I do not want to take home any spidies or other critters.

Sand is very difficult to get out of something once it gets into it. I have had trouble with sand in my hair even after a good shampoo and rinse. My hammock goes into a very large washer and gets a lot of water run through it, that flushes most of the sand out.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If hammocks and quilts were light colors, we would all be shamed into washing them much more often. Ya just know they get pretty nasty.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    If hammocks and quilts were light colors, we would all be shamed into washing them much more often. Ya just know they get pretty nasty.
    HEY! I resemble that remark!
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just give mine a good flip and shake it out. My blackbird usually always has duff and the such in it.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast