Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I used the patrol bag the other night when it got down to 60, and I was a little chilly. To be fair though, I was only wearing a shirt and shorts with no socks.

If I had either a pad, UQ..... or socks, I'd have probably been comfortable.

Long term, I'll probably convert the bags to UQ or TQ.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've found using the SOL Escape Bivvy to make quite a difference in temp ratings. The combo of weather resistance, reachability, and heat reflection is really effective. It's a bit confining, which is why I'm working to resize mine.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have one and it's great for winter camping at super low temps, ground camping and car camping. I used the black bag or green bag depending in temp until I got a rei flash 30 mummy. I personally don't like top quilts. I prefer a bad. Just my preference

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    WL Summer/HG 20*
    I used one complete in my hammock. It was bulky and a little tough to get into but was good once I was in.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I ordered a green patrol bag with a blown out zipper that will be arriving today. I'm looking forward to cutting the excess off and sewing it up to get a durable knock around summer level TQ out of the deal. That coupled with my new Jarbridge UQ should be a good combo for Texas.
    The ground is hard, and full of rocks...

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    I used the patrol bag the other night when it got down to 60, and I was a little chilly. To be fair though, I was only wearing a shirt and shorts with no socks.

If I had either a pad, UQ..... or socks, I'd have probably been comfortable.

Long term, I'll probably convert the bags to UQ or TQ.
    I just read this post of mine and it made me laugh. In the 2 months since posting this, I have converted to down quilts. I will most likely never convert any portion of my MSS to a quilt.

I love my HG quilts too much to ever use anything else.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I used to use the MSS in my hammocks. That was back when I was still trying to find a way to NOT spend $600 on quilts when I had a "perfectly awesome military grade sleep system!" Total pain in the *** getting all the bags to line up. 86 snaps, 32 zippers and a butt load of wrestling getting in, situated and the zips in the right place.... I still ended up pretty **** cold even a 32º wearing every bit of my clothing.

Let's not even mention the absolute bulky behemoth this thing is! And at ~10lbs... skip it.

Hammock
    Yukon Double
    Tarp
    Yukon rain fly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I lay on my black bag with my fleece half rolled under me part pillow and part extra warmth for my shoulder/chest area, then i'll tuck my legs in the bag with it zipped to my waist. I then pull the bivy cover over myself and I was good down to 42. Probably not good much below that. Not the easiest to get situated in but the price was right and the bags will last forever.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I would just like to reiterate just how heavy those zippers and snaps are. I just finished converting my green patrol bag into a top quilt. The quilt now weighs just over 24 oz with no hardware on it. The zipper weighed just over 8 oz. Not bad for $14. I was thinking of opening it back up and and adding 2.5 yds of Climashield Apex and putting a draw cord and a clip midway up the opening on it. Might be a little heavier than a KAQ Owyhee, but for about $60 I won't complain too much.
    The ground is hard, and full of rocks...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    I think the MMSS is good for starting. Not light, but does what it has to do. Now, is it optimal? Heck, no. I tend to be one of those who can only afford incremental upgrades. For now I need a better tarp, and an Underquilt. Maybe even go for the WB Spindrift. The MMSS will be the last thing to go for me. (Especially the black bag). I will probably keep the bivvy and the patrol bag. I have read that some people replace the black bag with the SOL Escape Bivvy. May try that once I get more situated.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast